View Full Version : Does a Smartphone work for you?

Ranmaru
08-06-12, 05:07 PM
I have one, and have some neat things in it.

Anyone have any apps that help them, or not really?

Greg1982
08-06-12, 05:11 PM
I use the calendar in mine to remind me of EVERYTHING. Works 90% of the time.

BohoButterfly
08-06-12, 11:27 PM
My bf just gave me one, and I love it!

I spent a whole day looking for good organizer type apps, and chose colournote, which is really cute, puts little post-its on the screen:), but a little tricky to work out.

I also got school schedule deluxe, and i'm absolutely loving it! It has so much I like about it, my post would be huge, so ill just say it has a weekly schedule, task list, widget, and really easy to use.

And both were free! I feel more organized now- i'll see how I go:).

xxBB

INTP_H_INFJ
03-01-13, 05:27 PM
My bf just gave me one, and I love it!

I spent a whole day looking for good organizer type apps, and chose colournote, which is really cute, puts little post-its on the screen:), but a little tricky to work out.

I also got school schedule deluxe, and i'm absolutely loving it! It has so much I like about it, my post would be huge, so ill just say it has a weekly schedule, task list, widget, and really easy to use.

And both were free! I feel more organized now- i'll see how I go:).

xxBB

*reads post*
*pauses*
*spaces out*
*comes back to reality*
*opens colournote*
*facerolls the screen for a few minutes*

Oh!!
Didnt know about the rest! xD
I've only been taking notes in it! lol!

Thank you BohoButterfly!

vagueabond
03-01-13, 06:00 PM
I've been getting lots of mileage using Google Apps along with an Android phone since 2010. I use the calendar a lot, and email, note to self occationally. useful to take snapshots. I've also installed Evernote and Onenote, but don't use them much.

stef
03-01-13, 08:03 PM
i have an ipad but i have to write any organising things on paper, unfortunately.
i tried using the notes to make lists but then i forgot i even made them in the first place.

Grantham
03-08-13, 07:40 PM
I am considering getting a smart phone to help with ADD. But before I increase my monthly bill and drop a wad of cash on a new phone, I have a few questions:

-I know there are apps that are helpful, is this exclusive to a smart phone? Is there any reason I couldn't use online websites for the same reason.
-Is the calendar a basic calendar or is it more complex? If so, how?
-What other advantages are there to smart phones?

APSJ
03-08-13, 08:59 PM
I have an android phone and use the pimlical advanced calendar app, which takes getting used to, but I love. I've actually been working to include more and more of my obligations on it so as to more or less make it a prosthetic memory/time sense.

AnythingBacon
03-08-13, 10:08 PM
Evernote is my favorite thing ever. Without it I don't know how I would take a note or make a list and find it any time especially cross platform... I wouldn't remember which device I took the note on or when. Now if only they could automatically import the millions of post-it notes sitting around everywhere for me that would be even better.

*Samsung Galaxy s 4g - phone
*Kindle Fire - tablet/reader
*Macbook Pro - wonderful everything else machine

proileri
03-09-13, 03:01 AM
Now if only they could automatically import the millions of post-it notes sitting around everywhere for me that would be even better.

You have noticed you can use your cell phone camera in Evernote, right? ;)

sarahsweets
03-09-13, 05:03 AM
I use an app called life reminders.

BellaVita
03-09-13, 05:06 AM
Too well, almost.

I just commented on the "time to say goodnight" thread using my laptop, yet thanks to my smartphone--here I am again.

I must out smart the smart phone.

AnythingBacon
03-09-13, 10:17 AM
You have noticed you can use your cell phone camera in Evernote, right? ;)

Sigh, yes, but camera received a scratch day 3 and has never takin a good pic.

I was more on the joking hope that somehow evernote would sense that I was writing a post it in a place that I cannot use my phone, such as work, and automatically know what I was noting.

GeordieDave
03-09-13, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't have a job and my finances would be **** if I didn't have a smart phone. My smart phone is like one of the most important things for me to keep me organised, its got all my alrms set upfor the week, i get my important emaisl to my gmail account, all my work time tables are on there, got reminders on the calender for bdays, special dates and one of the most important apps is my online banking. Such an easy and fast app, helps me keep track of my finances .

I'd be lost without it.

Twiggy
03-09-13, 02:14 PM
I barely use my phone and don't have any fancy apps. If needed, I use the notepad on it, the calendar, and the alarm clock.

Shlarin
03-20-13, 09:51 AM
I don't really use it to browse the web or use facebook cause the screen's too small. But here are the apps I use most frequently:

Waze: a GPS app that collects traffic statistics as you drive and also helps inform other drivers which routes are likely to be optimal.

Evernote: a note taking and organizational app.. I will take pictures of important documents so I can search them later (it can recognize words in the pictures which you can later search.)

Yelp: Restaurant, Store, Business, etc. reviews at the tap of a finger.

Teamviewer: I use it to remote access my computers from wherever.

Kindle: Read Kindle books.. nuff said.

Parallel Mafia: A neat game that takes place in a fantasy world overlaid on the "real world". They take a Google map of where you are currently via the GPS and you can fight other players who are in the same area.

I have an older smartphone (HTC Evo 3D) with Virgin Mobile and it does all of the above fine. If I need to do something more fancy and intensive, this phone might not handle it but I'm happy with it so far.

someothertime
03-20-13, 09:57 AM
Calendar....
Wunderlist.....
Viber.....
Music....
Timer...

Yeah, it's a detraction, but I lose paper notes, it's with me everywhere.

Very handy for keeping organised.

BellaVita
03-20-13, 09:58 AM
My smartphone has now outlasted my dell laptop...

:eek:

dvdnvwls
03-20-13, 04:27 PM
I am considering getting a smart phone to help with ADD. But before I increase my monthly bill and drop a wad of cash on a new phone, I have a few questions:

-I know there are apps that are helpful, is this exclusive to a smart phone? Is there any reason I couldn't use online websites for the same reason.
-Is the calendar a basic calendar or is it more complex? If so, how?
-What other advantages are there to smart phones?

Portability and therefore always having it with you is the key advantage to smartphones.

Map and navigation has been useful to me. I certainly don't have a GPS-enabled laptop in my car. :)

Now, to talk about organizer software specifically:

Every function performed by phone organizer apps is also available on your computer, or from an online service, or both. In fact, smartphone apps are often used to tie in with online services. If you know you always have a computer in the room when you need an organizer, then getting a smartphone simply as an organizing tool is pointless.

The standard Android phone calendar is a tie-in with Google calendar and uses its features. The standard iPhone calendar is a tie-in with iCal and uses its features. Other different calendar apps are available, that work however their programmers want them to work, including potential tie-in with third-party online calendars.

curxxx
03-24-13, 12:44 PM
I constantly use the Reminders, Notes and Calendar app on my Apple devices, and because they all sync together I have gotten a lot more organized :D

Zaashy
03-24-13, 02:36 PM
All you need is Angry Birds, the app to make you look busy when you not.

Wisefolly
05-02-13, 11:55 PM
Love it, love it, love it (hate it once in a while), but mostly love it! I got out of the habit of using my planner a few years ago and could never seem to get back in the habit. I'm also so digitally inclined that it was difficult to remember whether I had written something down that I put in my Google calendar or vice versa. Add Facebook invitations into that the past couple of years and things could get real crazy.

Being able to sync with my Google calendar is the best thing in the world for me. The addictive nature of the phone has worked to my advantage in terms of remembering to use it. I love that whatever I put in my Google calendar automatically shows up on my phone, and it has been a Godsend because I'm working two jobs with flexible schedules right now, and I can check my availability immediately. That way I can't forget to get back to the potential employer.

There is another side to it, of course, with easy access to FB, etc. however, I'm sure I'd just distract myself with something else if it weren't there