View Full Version : Abilify and akathisia--- what instead?

jet_pack
08-07-12, 01:57 AM
I've been on abilify for about 10 weeks now for anxiety related issues and to stop invasive thoughts. I'm currently on only 5mg/day along with 60mg prozac and 40mg ritalin. I haven't really noticed much benefit, other than being a little more socially confident. But I've had ridiculous akathisia, or inner restlessness. I'm tired from it, as well, but can't sleep because I'm so restless. I do have a lot of anxiety and invading thoughts issues, which an increase in abilify MIGHT help, but I can't take the side effects at even a low dose.

Myt question is: what should I discuss with my doctor, as an alternative to the abilfy? Or should I ask about just stopping the abilify, and switch SSRIs to see if a different antidepressant can help my anxiety more? Clearly I will discuss this all with my doctor, but I just want ideas to bring to her and discuss.

thanks!

Abi
08-07-12, 02:00 AM
Benzodiazepines like Klonopin;
Beta Blockers like Proplonol [sp?];
Mood Stabilisers like Depakote or Tegratol

CheekyMonkey
08-07-12, 02:01 AM
I'd ask about seroquel. :)

karbouris
08-07-12, 01:39 PM
[quote=jet_pack;1344261]I've been on abilify for about 10 weeks now for anxiety related issues and to stop invasive thoughts. I'm currently on only 5mg/day along with 60mg prozac and 40mg ritalin. I haven't really noticed much benefit, other than being a little more socially confident. But I've had ridiculous akathisia, or inner restlessness. I'm tired from it, as well, but can't sleep because I'm so restless. I do have a lot of anxiety and invading thoughts issues, which an increase in abilify MIGHT help, but I can't take the side effects at even a low dose.

Myt question is: what should I discuss with my doctor, as an alternative to the abilfy? Or should I ask about just stopping the abilify, and switch SSRIs to see if a different antidepressant can help my anxiety more? Clearly I will discuss this all with my doctor, but I just want ideas to bring to her and discuss.

Abilify is used for Bipolar, Schizopherina, and Major Depressive disorder. (Citing Wikipedia here.) I really don't see how it would effective for Anxitey. With that being said, I have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality so I do have some (intrusive) thoughts. If I were in your situation I would stop the Abilify and Prozac. Stay on Ritalin, and add something called Luvox. It's an SSRI that was highly effective for me for controlling anxiety, depression, and OCD type behavior.

tambourine-man
08-08-12, 02:35 PM
Ugh! Geodon gave me this side effect... PERMANENTLY. It comes and goes but any time I have to sit still long it will creep up. Klonopin takes it away. It took me a long time to figure out what was going on. BE CAREFUL!

Mrtommyboy1904
10-05-12, 02:09 PM
Hey, thought I'd share my experience with this situation. Abilify caused akathisia almost two months into my treatment. It was like I woke up one day and couldn't sit still. Like there was an earthquake in my body at all time, was awful. IMHO, switching to Seroquel might be a better option. I found it gave me only mild RLS-like symptoms and much better side effect profile, sans the oversedation. Good luck!

AlphaOne
10-27-12, 12:51 AM
omg i asked my provider today if respedal gave me permanent akathisia. she said never heard of such thing. told me to take more seroqel and hold cogentin all i could do nowadays is to sit and stare at wall until .5 mg ativan qday wears off mr akathesia is back with vengence.

this is no humane way to live. i know military uses haldol induced akathisia to torture prisoner . antipsychotics are evil.

taking highdose adderall is like a walking in a park compared to this

you know howmany schizophrenic commits suicide over this side effect

bluewind
10-29-12, 08:33 AM
My akathesia (sp) was prompted by Risperdal (spelling). It started out as extremely intrusive, worrisome thoughts that I could not stop and progressed into an intense desire to pace. I would pace all day long crying because my legs hurt and I couldn't stop. I was taken off the med completely and mine went away. I know from experience it's easy to assume the intrusive thoughts are normal so you are a step ahead of me in recognizing them as abnormal.

Definitely talk to your doctor.

Lunacie
10-29-12, 08:49 AM
For anxiety I've taken generic Celexa and generic Zoloft. Both work well for me.

My granddaughter has Atypical Autism and Anxiety (possible ADHD but not dx).

She was given Risperidal which worked well other than causing constant hunger.

We switched her to Abilify and anxiety and anger issues went through the roof.

We switched back to Risperidal and added generic Celexa.

She wants to eat all the time, but she isn't attacking us all the time.
Trade off, eh?

Kaotix
12-10-12, 10:17 AM
I used to have Haldol induced akathisia even with Depakote, Propanolol, Gabapentin, and Benztropine(Cogentin). Now that I stopped the Haldol and continue to take Cogentin(Benztropine) it has gone away.. I would suggest looking into Zyprexa and talk about other antipsychotic choices with your doc., researching them and finding the one thats best for you.

When I had Haldol induced akathisia I stopped taking it immediately and told my doctor what I had done and she said she would stop too if she was experiencing akathesia. I can't recommend stopping because I don't know you but some of the top medications to use for akathisia is Benztropine, Propanolol, and a Benzodiazepam like Clonazepam.

mrs. dobbs
12-10-12, 10:44 AM
SSRIs caused me ridiculous akathisia. I felt like I was on the down part of a rollercoaster... curling my toes... grinding my teeth... itchy in my bones. I never stayed on APs long enough to get it. They made me too angry.

kieran799
12-06-15, 07:12 PM
Hey, thought I'd share my experience with this situation. Abilify caused akathisia almost two months into my treatment. It was like I woke up one day and couldn't sit still. Like there was an earthquake in my body at all time, was awful. IMHO, switching to Seroquel might be a better option. I found it gave me only mild RLS-like symptoms and much better side effect profile, sans the oversedation. Good luck!
I had the same experience with Abilify. Did it go away eventually?

i41agree
04-07-16, 05:37 PM
I've never heard of anyone taking Abilify for anxiety before.
If I were you I would ask the doctor to confirm that he/she prescribed you Abilify to treat anxiety as an off-label use.
If you're just looking for other novel/interesting options for anxiety, do some research on Lyrica.

peripatetic
06-07-16, 12:16 PM
If I were you I would ask the doctor to confirm that he/she prescribed you Abilify to treat anxiety as an off-label use.
If you're just looking for other novel/interesting options for anxiety, do some research on Lyrica.

i'm currently on abilify specifically for ocd, which is considered in the anxiety group.

i also take another medication of the same nature that's not for ocd, so i know that's specifically what it's for.

here's research, and i'm sure you could find more if you use google scholar, showing its efficacy: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3115673/

wonderboy
06-13-16, 10:32 PM
Low dose propranolol really helps with this inner feeling.

Ask your doctor about all your options including possibly the one I mentioned

wonderboy
06-13-16, 10:36 PM

Abilify is indeed often prescribed off-label for anxiety

Propranolol helps feelings of inner restlessness ( always make an inquiry with your physician)

It is a very unique neuroleptic because it augments dopamine in some areas of the brain, and decreases in other areas

Is a partial D2 agonist
And also a partial 5HTA 1a agonist

Happy!
11-08-17, 03:53 PM
Pristiq works good for me. I was on a Lexapro and Seroquel combo a while back but I became extremely apathetic. I think it was the Lexapro. Seroquel is good for anxiety but it can be separating and give you the munchies. An ssri or snri might really help you! I was on ability 5 mg and got extreme and constant and horrific akathesia so I can relate to you there. There are other antipsychotics you might try though. The atypical seem to be better as they have less side effects. Vraylar and rexulti are similar to abilify. Vraylar hasn't ever given me akathesia but I've never tried rexulti. Visteral is ok but a bit sedating. Propranonal is a good one but probably if you take it with another med too. Really there are so many anxiety meds, it just depends which one works for you. It may take some trial and error to find the right one. Good luck and keep us posted as to how things go for you.