View Full Version : Antipsychotics Prescribed To Treat ADHD In More Children And Teens, New Study Finds

jace49
08-10-12, 09:27 AM
The number of children and teens taking antipsychotic medications has skyrocketed in recent years, with psychiatrists prescribing the drugs in nearly one-in-three visits with youth, a new study found.

The drugs are not only being prescribed for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, but also for the commonly diagnosed attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Many mental health experts say that the powerful medications come with serious potential side effects and that their effectiveness has not been proven in treating the disorders for which they're increasingly prescribed.

"The growth in antipsychotic treatment of children -- roughly eight-fold in 17 years -- is especially impressive," said study author Dr. Mark Olfson, a professor of clinical psychiatry at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University.

"Practice has overstepped research," he said. "These rapidly rising rates of antipsychotic treatment in young people should give physicians pause."

For the new study, published online this week in the Archives of General Psychiatry, Olfson and colleagues categorized people into two groups: children for those up to 13 years old and teens for those aged 14-20. They looked at data from doctor's office visits collected over several decades, and compared data from 1993 to 1998 with that from 2005-2009. The number of doctor's visits in which an antipsychotic was prescribed jumped from 0.24 percent to 1.83 percent in children, and from 0.78 percent to 3.76 percent in teens.

"[That] is a pretty big leap -- not huge, but substantial," said Dr. Michael Houston, an associate clinical professor of psychiatry and pediatrics at the George Washington university medical center and a member of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. "Whether or not it is bad news is hard to determine," added Houston, who was not involved with the study.

Doctors primarily prescribed the drugs because of behavior disorders and ADHD, the study found, which is considered "off-label" use. The Food and Drug Administration has approved use of antipsychotics in youth primarily for treating schizophrenia, bipolar mania, Tourette's syndrome and irritability stemming from autism -- but the study found that only a small proportion of treatment was for one of those approved uses.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/09/antipsychotics-adhd-study_n_1760602.html

Abi
08-10-12, 11:01 AM
I tend to agree that the use of antipsychotics in ADHD children should only be used in serious cases of hyperactivity, and on a SHORT TERM basis.

Doctors seem to want to "abilify" everyone.

ginniebean
08-10-12, 12:08 PM
I knew this was happening, and it ****** me off. The long term side effects from early use of anti-psychotic horrify me. There is no need for this even with hyperactivity. Sedating children in this manner causes more harm than good. It's time to educate parents more on medications.

salleh
08-10-12, 12:56 PM
yep, and as some people will do, they'll equate anti-psychotics with the beneficial ADHD meds ...and take the No meds attitude

karbouris
08-11-12, 04:06 PM
I tend to agree that the use of antipsychotics in ADHD children should only be used in serious cases of hyperactivity, and on a SHORT TERM basis.

They keep wanting to put me on it too A physc tried to take me off ritalin, and put me on it.

Abi
08-11-12, 04:16 PM
I am bipolar with no ADHD diagnosis but a number of ADHD symptoms especially inattentive ones. After Ritalin did not work out, I wanted to try Wellbutrin [no dex/adderall here]. Doc said I needed antipsychs to clear my head. Wanted to put me on HALIDOL for inattentive ADHD-like symptoms. :rolleyes:

CheekyMonkey
08-11-12, 04:18 PM
I find that scary. After seeing my husband try almost every single anti-psychotic......I would not do that to a child who is unable to really tell you how bad the side effects are, etc. Not to mention long term effects.

I'm not say that it should never be done, but it should only be used in severe cases in which the child is a danger to themselves or others.

karbouris
08-11-12, 04:23 PM
Abi, they keep trying to diagnose me as bipolar. Bipolar is mood swings without an apparent cause. My formal DX is adhd, BPD, ptsd, and I highly suspect adjustment disorder.

karbouris
08-11-12, 04:25 PM
I duuu have swings but only when distressed. Like when rejected, or critized.

ONLY DESTROYER
08-11-12, 04:26 PM
I think it is that people are just becoming more intelligent, with information at their finger tips. A simple search of a symptom on an iphone while relaxing on the couch could have you worried, enthused, or make something more understandable. Not only do I think the challenge, and demand in the educations systems are getting more difficult with technology and all, but so many people are medicated now-adays that the ones that are not medicated, and have ADD stand-out! People who are prescribed with ADD medication in high school will make you look like an idiot and criticize you for making impulsive comments. They will make you feel dumb, they will make you hated by many. In the first few days of my environmental class, more then half the room raised their hands when he asked who had ADD. I do not know how this discussion was brought up, but it is just that most people take care of these issues now. I now realize why people considered me as an unintelligent individual, one who could never run lacrosse plays, and one who was always down on his self. 18 years old, got medicated mid July right before college, hopefully I can turn my life around and show everyone that I am smart, and will be successful.

Abi
08-11-12, 04:26 PM
Even if you WERE bipolar they should be offering lamictal or depakote or lithium as a first line treatment, not antipsychotics.

karbouris
08-11-12, 04:37 PM
Seroquel litium zyprexa geodon wre the ones I tried. I self meficate woth energy drinks when not on a stimulant.ssris work ok. Im kinda curious about celexa.

CheekyMonkey
08-11-12, 04:38 PM
Seroquel litium zyprexa geodon wre the ones I tried. I self meficate woth energy drinks when not on a stimulant.ssris work ok. Im kinda curious about celexa.

Lamictal might be a good choice to try. It seems to work for people who have tried everything else under the sun.

karbouris
08-11-12, 04:43 PM
Id prefer to stay on ritalin a.c vet cogntivr therapy. Lamictal might be a good choice to try. It seems to work for people who have tried everything else under the sun.

CheekyMonkey
08-11-12, 04:44 PM
Id prefer to stay on ritalin a.c vet cogntivr therapy.

Oh, ok. Was just throwing out ideas. :)

karbouris
08-11-12, 06:06 PM
Oh, ok. Was just throwing out ideas. :)

Thank you. I do appreciate it. I go through my gp. He refuses to change meds. Like if I want to change versions of ritalin. I wont see a physc. Most physcs hate me because I point out contradictions.that and ive whipped thcme dsm volume on the most recent one.

karbouris
08-11-12, 06:08 PM
Changing versions of ritalin is the most he will do

Lunacie
08-11-12, 06:13 PM
I doubt that ADHD is the only illness that is treated with off-label medications.

Is this something relatively new, or have doctors always prescribed medications for off-label uses?

Mountainman1126
09-19-12, 05:42 PM
What is absolutly bewildering to me is treating adhd with anipsychotics. the vast majority of anti psychotics are dopamine antagonists, while adhd is caused primaraly by a lack of dopamine. so wouldn't an anti psychotic exacerbate the symptoms of adhd instead of helping it. I think anti psychotics, especialy seroquil, is overy perscribed, from anything from anxiety, to ocd.

dresser
03-04-13, 12:08 PM
for me the point I see we should be cheking the credentials of the people administering
the prescripions and the ones who govern them if they had any ethics thay live on justifications regardless of the affects because there are no repercusion for them.
the code of ethics needs increasing and a JUNK YARD DOG to enforce it. there mentality is harsh very much like the infamous dr. Ilse coch the b- t- h of buckenwald. I get frustrated because ppl. cant see the links?, scared to, they demand you lock up fire arms,bullets . no full automatics you can injure or kill too many people with one burst,

N yet the docter can prescribr far more devastation knowing he shouldnt(no smoking while fueling youre car) with total inpunity N no one cares thanks for the rant.
I'm just an old old Don Quixote N Che differance is I got no side kik lolol

Fuzzy12
03-04-13, 12:40 PM
I don't really understand this. I thought anti psychotics work primarily by suppressing the effect of dopamine. Wouldn't that be counter effective for ADHD? :scratch:

Codybutt021
05-25-14, 07:53 PM
Personally, I have never taken Risperdal. I hope this helps someone looking for more information. I have not been a huge fan of Risperdal and have avoided it.

I have heard numerous cases of Risperdal use in young men that caused them to develop "man-boobs", known as gynecomastia. This condition is pretty rare from what I understand but still a risk nonetheless! I myself will never allow my children to take Risperdal and I would definitely keep an eye on male breast growth if a younger male you know is currently being prescribed Risperdal.

Can any guy here personally vouch that he developed these symptoms?

Lunacie
05-25-14, 11:06 PM
Personally, I have never taken Risperdal. I hope this helps someone looking for more information. I have not been a huge fan of Risperdal and have avoided it.

I have heard numerous cases of Risperdal use in young men that caused them to develop "man-boobs", known as gynecomastia. This condition is pretty rare from what I understand but still a risk nonetheless! I myself will never allow my children to take Risperdal and I would definitely keep an eye on male breast growth if a younger male you know is currently being prescribed Risperdal.

I know one guy, he's 22 now, took Risperdal when he was little. No long term problems there.

Yes, it's scary to give any of these meds to our kids. They ALL have risks, even plain old aspirin.

Risperdal is the only thing that has worked for my autistic granddaughter.

peripatetic
05-25-14, 11:11 PM

Wait, I thought you said in your sole other post that you had taken it and experienced weight gain?

Prolactin levels can increase. It's a known side effect and responsible doctors test for it and there are other options if it does that in you and its problematic. It can cause other concerns and there is always a risk when treating mental health symptoms with any medication and patients are typically and if not certainly should be counseled to that effect.

Don't come here fear mongering about medications you've never taken. That's irresponsible as **** and not helpful at all to many.

omygaudio
02-12-15, 03:27 AM

This. It really is no surprise. I personally have been recommended Abilify by a number of psychiatrists I have seen in the past. They push it as an "add-on" medication for just about everything. This is classic paid prescribing. Abilify out of pocket costs about 900 bucks according to goodrx. Jeez! A quick google of "abilify scandals" confirms this fact. So sad.