View Full Version : How are antidepressants supposed to feel when effective?

Haakenlid
08-11-12, 04:40 AM
I was prescribed Wellbutrin in January and took it for four months. I lost a bit of weight and stopped craving cigarettes and sweets, but I didn't notice any effect on my mood or ADD symptoms. My psychiatrist claimed that she noticed an improvement, but I think that might be some sort of 'therapists placebo' by proxy (if there is such a thing.

I've been off the medication for about two months. I'm not receiving any treatment at the moment and I'm worried that the only thing I'll ever be offered is antidepressants for my adhd symptoms and comorbid anxiety and depression.

I'm very reluctant to try SSRIs because I'm already struggling with anorgasmIa and delayed ejaculation, and fear that the probable sexual side effects of such medications would outweigh any slight antIdepressant effect. But maybe I should give it a shot anyway?

If you have positive experiences with antidepressants, how did you notice it was working? Did it help with any ADD symptoms?

mosostow
08-13-12, 09:08 AM
I can only speak for SNRI's (and there is a big difference). I'm on Cymbalta.

I know it's working when I feel focused and generally content. My mind is clear and there's much less negative thinking.

It's kind of like when first feeling a stimulant kick in (like Ritalin) but consistent 24/7.

Keep in mind SSRI's and SNRI's can take a couple of months before they work. For me, I started feeling the benefits around the 6 week mark. For some it can be as long as 2-3 months.

Also, sometimes it can feel like you're not making any progress on them for weeks and weeks... and then suddenly, one day, BANG, you feel great.

hollywood
08-13-12, 09:37 AM
Yeah I had that feeling before. I think I have been worrying for far too long though. Probably 8 years and I dont know how I have cut it this far. Its that time though and I've made tons of progress and I don't know how on my own. Anyways , I think for me it's a steady dose and 2 weeks and I felt miraculously better. I'm going to do it man.

sarahsweets
08-13-12, 10:42 AM
I was prescribed Wellbutrin in January and took it for four months. I lost a bit of weight and stopped craving cigarettes and sweets, but I didn't notice any effect on my mood or ADD symptoms. My psychiatrist claimed that she noticed an improvement, but I think that might be some sort of 'therapists placebo' by proxy (if there is such a thing.

I've been off the medication for about two months. I'm not receiving any treatment at the moment and I'm worried that the only thing I'll ever be offered is antidepressants for my adhd symptoms and comorbid anxiety and depression.

I'm very reluctant to try SSRIs because I'm already struggling with anorgasmIa and delayed ejaculation, and fear that the probable sexual side effects of such medications would outweigh any slight antIdepressant effect. But maybe I should give it a shot anyway?

If you have positive experiences with antidepressants, how did you notice it was working? Did it help with any ADD symptoms?

I take an SNRI and I have been lucky-no side effects. There are more things besides standard SSRI's. If your adhd is not being properly treated then perhaps you should talk to the doctor and ask why.