View Full Version : If i am successful, why am I so depressed

missing_cues
06-18-03, 08:28 PM
Hey all. On a good note, I did my thesis proposal presentation today and everything went well...I got an A and I am on my way to doing the thesis. I was feeling great earlier, but I recently jsut sunk down really low. Everytime I do something great and I am successful at something, I almost immediately drop down and get depressed. I hate it....I know I will get over it and feel better soon, but its beginnint to take its toll...emotionally and psychologically....I wish I could be happy for myself but I just cant seem to take pride in anything I do for extended periods of time.

MC

Lafnalot
06-18-03, 09:08 PM
Well, there are many reasons youmay be unhappy. Unfortunately, only you can answer it. Many times we get so built up and work on adrenaline while doing a major project or similar thing. Suddenly its like the day after Christmas and we are sunk low in the reality of day to day living. Also it could be that projects give enough kick to you to up your brain chemistry to a decent level and the sudden let down is depressing. If it is something that means anything to you, I suggest you educate yourself about depression, whether enviromental or chemical and other mood disorders. We can never know too much about ourselves, so it cant hurt. Worst that might happen is it means you dont have an issue and you can help someone who does.

joanrdtobe
06-18-03, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by missing_cues
Everytime I do something great and I am successful at something, I almost immediately drop down and get depressed. I hate it....I know I will get over it and feel better soon, but its beginnint to take its toll...emotionally and psychologically....I wish I could be happy for myself but I just cant seem to take pride in anything I do for extended periods of time.

MC

Hey Missing: That's great about your presentation....and I could share the same thing you did here today...my graduation is over, school is over and I'm kind of bumming out....um, for me part of it I think is that with success comes more responsibility....now I have to do the NEXT thing...which may be hard....or just the responsbilitity of maintaining the success....ME TOO...can't take pride in things I do for extended periods of time either...like doing something and only letting myself feel great about it for five seconds or less:( and then it's time to change feelings about it or move on....it's tough....sometimes I think feeling badly about myself and feeling good about myself...are really two sides of the same coin...feeling badly is easier for me...and so depression comes...do you feel overwhelmed now that you're at the next stage of your thesis? or anxious?

missing_cues
06-20-03, 04:11 PM
i think you summed it up pretty good...I now have even more responsibility and more work ahead of me. Worst of all, I could really use some companionship over the next few months to help me get through this work, and there is someone that I am interested in and who I think may be interested in me, but I cant really get into another relationship right now as the last relationship I was in went really bad really quick (largely due to me unfortunately) and that really got in the way of my work getting done on time (plus it caused a huge mess in terms of friendships that have ended over the past year). Basically, I would love to go out with this person, but I also know that it may go somewhere good and then things usually go bad right after that....and I would rather just spend time with this person as a friend anyway....I know the depression wont last for long and I just need someone to give me a good kick in the **** to get me going (not literally of course). I need a good reality check from time to time....anyway thanks to both of you for responding....

MC

psico175
05-24-06, 04:34 PM
You can add one more on that list...just like joanrdtobe said I know that I am very successful at my work...(Special Ed Teacher with a severe ADHD on meds) I get depressed very offten...and I am tired of it, just today I leave early from work because I couldn't solved a situation with the principal and start to feel down, feeling like crying...and I started just when I got into my car...it is awful and exhausted :( I also wish to be happy for longer time...

Psico :confused: