View Full Version : My Computer Virus

anonymouslyadd
08-16-12, 12:26 AM
Well, I think I have a virus, and I need help troubleshooting it. I'm not positive it is one, but I'm fairly sure. Please help.:(

Fortune
08-16-12, 12:30 AM
Google "AVG antivirus" and download the free version.

Or

Google "Eset Nod32 antivirus" and take advantage of the 30-day trial.

Also, you might try "trend micro housecall online virus scan" and see if it turns anything up.

anonymouslyadd
08-16-12, 12:40 AM
Google "AVG antivirus" and download the free version.

Or

Google "Eset Nod32 antivirus" and take advantage of the 30-day trial.

Also, you might try "trend micro housecall online virus scan" and see if it turns anything up.
I'm doing that now. I have this awful toolbar, which I can't get rid of. My browser is totally f'd.

Edit:

I already have Kapersky. Should I uninstall that? I just installed this malware version. I'm all over the place, now.

I thought I was downloading something that could reduce the size of my files. I had a program on my old PC.

Fortune
08-16-12, 12:55 AM
I'm doing that now. I have this awful toolbar, which I can't get rid of. My browser is totally f'd.

Edit:

I already have Kapersky. Should I uninstall that? I just installed this malware version. I'm all over the place, now.

I thought I was downloading something that could reduce the size of my files. I had a program on my old PC.

If you have Kaspersky that should be fine. What malware version did you install?

It doesn't really hurt to have another antivirus program, either. And I think Nod32 is fairly good. It's also good to have programs like adaware and spybot for additional protection.

When it comes to downloading utilities, the best source is download.cnet.com or directly from the company that released the software. Also, check them out to ensure they're legitimate.

Also, scan everything you download.

What problems are you experiencing?

anonymouslyadd
08-16-12, 01:05 AM
If you have Kaspersky that should be fine. What malware version did you install?

It doesn't really hurt to have another antivirus program, either. And I think Nod32 is fairly good. It's also good to have programs like adaware and spybot for additional protection.

When it comes to downloading utilities, the best source is download.cnet.com or directly from the company that released the software. Also, check them out to ensure they're legitimate.

Also, scan everything you download.

What problems are you experiencing?
The maleware version is below:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.62.0.1300

The reason why I mentioned Kaspersky was because when I tried installing the avg virus protection, it couldn't do it.

When I click on the last post thing on ADD Forums, it brings me to the last page,not the last post. I can't go back and forth on my browser easily. I have to click the back button like two or three times before it goes back once.

Retromancer
08-16-12, 01:05 AM
What browser are you using? If you are using Internet Explorer it's a good time to leave for Chrome or Firefox. Whatever it is that you are using it sounds like it is time for a full uninstall and re-install.

anonymouslyadd
08-16-12, 01:09 AM
What browser are you using? If you are using Internet Explorer it's a good time to leave for Chrome or Firefox. Whatever it is that you are using it sounds like it is time for a full uninstall and re-install.

I'm using google chrome, and I already did the uninstall-install thing.

anonymouslyadd
08-16-12, 01:11 AM
Kaspersky says my computer is protected too!!!!!!!

The real thing that drove me over the edge was this stupid toolbar.

Drewbacca
08-16-12, 01:14 AM
Have you tried disabling all of the extensions and restarting the browser? Most likely, it's not necessary but it never hurts to check.

anonymouslyadd
08-16-12, 01:15 AM
Have you tried disabling all of the extensions and restarting the browser? Most likely, it's not necessary but it never hurts to check.
How do you disable the extensions? I haven't done that.

Retromancer
08-16-12, 01:16 AM
Have you checked the task manager to see what is pulling memory and processing resources?

anonymouslyadd
08-16-12, 01:20 AM
Drew, that fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was an extension. I disabled and deleted it.

I restarted chrome, and I'm good as gold!

Edit:

You guys are the best! Thanks Drew, Retro and Fortune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retromancer
08-16-12, 01:21 AM
Click the wrench icon on the address bar, go to 'tools' then 'extensions'.

How do you disable the extensions? I haven't done that.

Drewbacca
08-16-12, 01:22 AM
Good to hear! Now back to your regularly scheduled procrastinating... :p

anonymouslyadd
08-16-12, 01:24 AM
Good to hear! Now back to your regularly scheduled procrastinating... :p
I would start procrastinating again, but I can't remember what I was doing.:p:scratch::umm1:

Retromancer
08-16-12, 01:27 AM
Weren't you watching 'The IT Crowd' on Netflix? :D

I would start procrastinating again, but I can't remember what I was doing.:p:scratch::umm1:

anonymouslyadd
08-16-12, 01:28 AM
Weren't you watching 'The IT Crowd' on Netflix? :D
Ha, I don't have cable so if Netflix is viewed through that medium, I'm out.:cool::)

sarek
08-16-12, 01:29 AM
Its generally not a good idea to run two antivirus programs simultaneously. They can cause conflicts.
BTW Malwarebytes anti Malware is in itself perfectly legit.

An anti malware/spyware/adware program is not always the same as a virus scanner though they are often integrated products. Its perfectly ok to use more than one anti malware program at the same time.

Antivirus programs will not normally detect erratic or malicious toolbar plugins in your browser but anti adware programs might.

Retromancer
08-16-12, 01:44 AM
You do have broadband -- and a debit card?

https://signup.netflix.com/ (https://signup.netflix.com/)

I have been busy working through all the shows I missed in the Oughts. Now I'm working through 'Breaking Bad'.

Ha, I don't have cable so if Netflix is viewed through that medium, I'm out.:cool::)

anonymouslyadd
08-16-12, 01:47 AM
You do have broadband -- and a debit card?

https://signup.netflix.com/ (https://signup.netflix.com/)

I have been busy working through all the shows I missed in the Oughts. Now I'm working through 'Breaking Bad'.
Maybe I'll check that out. Seems affordable.