View Full Version : A Truly Private Journal

madadder
08-19-12, 09:31 PM
Writing a journal is really good for you, but when you have a journal and you're concerned that someone might read it you might hold back on what you really want to write. You can't lock folders in windows, but you can lock .rar files. And god knows that if you try and stash a notebook under then bed, it'll be read by someone down the road.

Install this program, and right click a folder and click "add to archive". Then click advanced, set password, check encrypt file names. Now, create your journal in Microsoft word or Keynote (explained below), and drag it into the .rar file you created.

You can now access, update, and save your journal in there without worrying that they will be discovered. You might want to back this folder up every once in a while, because it could be deleted still.

As far as actually writing your journal, I'd recommend using a program called Keynote. Instead of having hundreds of .docx files over the years, you can have just 1 file organized in Keynote (also good for school).

Downloads:
Keynote (http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote_download.html)
Winrar (http://www.win-rar.com/start.html?&L=0)

anonymouslyadd
08-19-12, 09:54 PM
What makes this different from having a regular word document on your pc/mac in which you have a password to sign on?

madadder
08-19-12, 09:57 PM
What makes this different from having a regular word document on your pc/mac in which you have a password to sign on?

I suppose it's not much different than using a word document. If you prefer to have some organization to your journal then using Keynote would be a good option, and I think that would require winrar. I guess, the difference is that you can have an entire folder that's encrypted. So if you have more than one file, or pictures, or any other type of file you want included, can be.

anonymouslyadd
08-19-12, 10:00 PM
I suppose it's not much different than using a word document. If you prefer to have some organization to your journal then using Keynote would be a good option, and I think that would require winrar. I guess, the difference is that you can have an entire folder that's encrypted. So if you have more than one file, or pictures, or any other type of file you want included, can be.
Can you explain the encrypted concept?

I'm glad you brought this up, because I would like to journal more. I do fear what I write, sometimes.

madadder
08-19-12, 10:05 PM
This is what Winrar website says:

The encryption algorithm was changed to AES (Advanced Encryption Standard)
with a 128 bit key length starting with WinRAR 3.0.

The US Government created an encryption standard several
years ago, called the Data Encryption Standard (DES).
It has been widely used both in government circles and by banks.
The government has recently replaced DES with the
Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).
One cryptologist has said that assuming that you could recover a
DES key in a second (trying 2^55 keys per second),
it would take the same machine approximately 149 trillion
years to recover a 128-bit AES key. There is an option when creating the .rar file to add a password, and also encrypt. If you're worried about your family getting into your file, a password should suffice, but perhaps you're worried about being hacked, or your great, great, grand kids hacking into your .rar file that was uncovered, long after you're gone. Or maybe when you're president someday and the history writers find your file, that journal should be kept private! Then you might want to encrypt it :).

madadder
08-20-12, 01:05 AM
I'm not sure why, but for some reason I could still access my archived journal while using KeyNote just by clicking on the program and bypassing the file. I guess it saves everything in the programs folders temporarily as well.

Here is an alternative: http://download.cnet.com/My-Daily-Digital-Journal/3000-18514_4-75285832.html