View Full Version : Accommodation Reccommendations

MeejeJ
08-20-12, 02:04 AM
Hi! I have a 12 year old son with ADD who just started 8th grade. This will be his second year with a 504 plan and I'd like to know what accommodations have worked for other children. He also takes Ritalin so that helps with his focusing but even on meds, I know doing 30 math problems isn't realistic.

I already have the following from last year:

-Extra test taking time
-Do every other problem on tests and homework
-Don't grade spelling and neatness of handwriting

I can't remember what else I have right now, but I'd appreciate any and all suggestions! TIA!

sarahsweets
08-20-12, 08:42 AM
Does he have an IEP? Has he been evaulated by the child study team? The recommendations they could make in establishing a plan might really help and you dont have to sign off on it unless you totally agree.

ADDisme2010
08-20-12, 11:59 AM
Inattentiveness
seat student near good role model seat student in a quiet area.

seat student near "study buddy"
increase distance between desks
***allow extra time to complete assigned work
shorten assignments or work periods to coincide with span of attention; use timer
***break long assignments into smaller parts so student can see end to work
***assist student in setting short term goals
***give assignments one at a time to avoid work overload
require fewer correct responses for grade
reduce amount of homework
instruct student in self-monitoring using cueing
pair written instructions with oral instructions
provide peer assistance in note taking
give clear, concise instructions
seek to involve student in lesson presentation
cue student to stay on task, i.e. private signal
IMPULSIVENESS

***ignore minor, inappropriate behavior
***increase immediacy of rewards and consequences
use time-out procedure for misbehavior
supervise closely during transition times
use "prudent" reprimands for misbehavior (i.e. avoid lecturing or criticism)
***attend to positive behavior with compliments etc..
acknowledge positive behavior of nearby students
seat student near role model or near teacher
***set up behavior contract
instruct student in self monitoring of behavior, i.e. hand raising, calling out
call on only when hand is raised in appropriate manner
praise when hand raised to answer question
Hyperactivity

***allow student to stand at times while working or to sit on a yoga ball
provide opportunity for "seat breaks" i.e.run errands, etc.
***provide short break between assignments
supervise closely during transition times
remind student to check over work product if performance is rushed and careless
***give extra time to complete tasks (especially for students with slow motor tempo)
GENERAL

***praise compliant behavior
***provide immediate feedback
***ignore minor misbehavior
use teacher attention to reinforce positive behavior
use "prudent" reprimands for misbehavior (i.e. avoid lecturing or criticism)
acknowledge positive behavior of nearby student
supervise student closely during transition times
seat student near teacher
set up behavior contract
implement classroom behavior management system
***instruct student in self-monitoring of behavior

if reading is weak: provide additional reading time; use "previewing" strategies; select text with less on a page; shorten amount of required reading; avoid oral reading
if oral expression is weak: accept all oral responses; substitute display for oral report; encourage student to tell about new ideas or experiences; pick topics easy for student to talk about
if written language is weak: accept non-written forms for reports (i.e. displays, oral, projects); accept use of typewriter, word processor, tape recorder; do not assign large quantity of written work; test with multiple choice or fill-in questions
if math is weak: allow use of calculator; use graph paper to space numbers; provide additional math time; provide immediate correctness feedback and instruction via modeling of the correct computational procedure

ask for parental help in encouraging organization,
provide organization rules
***encourage student to have notebook with dividers and folders for work
***provide student with homework assignment book
supervise writing down of homework assignments
***send daily/weekly progress reports home (I hated this as a kid, but it was effective in middle school.) We also had a reward system for no missing assignments, no bad behaviors (extended curfews, etc)
regularly check desk and notebook for neatness, encourage neatness rather than penalize sloppiness
***allow student to have extra set of books at home
give assignments one at a time
***assist student in setting short term goals
do not penalize for poor handwriting if visual-motor defects are present
encourage learning of keyboarding skills
allow student to tape record assignments or homework
SOCIAL

***praise appropriate behavior
***monitor social interactions
***set up social behavior goals with student and implement a reward program.
prompt appropriate social behavior either verbally or with private signal
encourage cooperative learning tasks with other students
***provide small group social skills training
***praise student frequently
assign special responsibilities to student in presence of peer group so others observe student in a positive light.

happytexas
08-21-12, 11:34 AM
If he hasn't had a comprehensive evaluation via the school (privately is a good idea as well) then I would consider submitting the request/consent letter now; an IEP under IDEA allows services (and legal protections) that a 504 does not.

__________________________________________________ ___________
I recommended reading "Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy"; the information from the book can be found on their site as well. Reading "Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Edition," would be a good idea as well). All About IEPs is also a good book to read at the beginning of the processes.

Under IDEA/IEP, if your child has a disability that adversely affects educational performance, your child is entitled to an education that is designed to meet the child's unique needs and from which your child receives educational benefit.

A 504 (from section 504 of the American's with Disabilities Act) is helping your child get the same education that everyone else is getting--more for a student that needs accommodations to help them learn (like sitting next to the teacher) or for behavior, and that they are not punished for things that they cannot control due to the ADHD (like needing to work standing up or not sit inside a group).

[A IEP or 504 is not an escalation or punishment for the teacher/school. It's more about getting all appropriate parties involved and on the same page. The student, parent/legal guardian, teachers, principals, Pupil Services administrators, support staff (i.e. nurse, counselor, psychologist, language/speech pathologist) as well as the student's physician or therapist may be involved in the placement process including the 504 meeting.]

State Parent Training and Information Center - Education Resource ... (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CGsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwdcrobcolp01.ed.gov%2FPrograms%2F EROD%2Forg_list.cfm%3Fcategory_ID%3DSPT&ei=NmUNUOyrN-qW2QXfw4ks&usg=AFQjCNGMul6hfN441uzcChCg3W4SlXEDoQ&sig2=aUY2xz3FLXl4URBXBe4fKQ)
Eligibility under IDEA for Other Health Impaired Children (http://sogpubs.unc.edu/electronicversions/slb/slbsum02/article2.pdf)

Key Differences Between Section 504, the ADA, and the IDEA. (Find at Wrightslaw site)

If you decide to request the school do education/learning disability testing, you need to "start the clock" in your letter of request; the school has 60 days from the date they received parental consent for evaluation to do one; your written request should note that this letter is the consent for evaluation. (And, if you did not do it in writing, it never happened!).

Determining Eligibility: How Many Days is 60 Days? - Wrightslaw

The Art of Writing Letters by Pam and Pete Wright - Advocacy ...

Is a Child with ADD/ADHD Eligible for Special Education? - Wrightslaw

Wrightslaw - IEP FAQ

Do IEPs Cover Executive-Function Problems? | ADDitude - Attention ...

Don't forget Executive Dysfunction Goals in the IEP ...

manismom
08-27-12, 03:44 PM
OK Thanks MeejeJ for the original post. My daughter is just starting 1st grade, but I have the same question since this is the first year that she gets "real" grades. I don't know how much they matter in the long run (aside from self-esteem), but I know that she works harder than most other kids I know. Problem is, she doesn't test well. I don't want her working her tail off to get a D because she didn't answer all the questions or some other reason having to do with her developmental delays.

And OH MY GOODNESS!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! to ADDisme2010 - This is EXACTLY the information I was looking for when I got on the forum today. Thank you so very much for taking the time to write all this out in such an organized, detailed way. I am going to use this for my daughter's upcoming IEP meeting.

manismom
08-27-12, 03:58 PM
Also re: sarahsweets' comment about not having to sign off on the IEP until you totally agree:

At one of my daughter's IEP meetings (can't remember which), I asked if I could take the IEP home to think about it before I signed it. I'm kind of a "Way-homer" as in I get the joke or idea or whatever "on the way home" instead of during the actual conversation. So sometimes I have questions that I don't think about until I get home and, well, think about it.

Those involved in the IEP encouraged me nicely, but strongly, to go ahead and sign it (since I had agreed to everything talked about at the meeting so far) because it would be easy to change it in the future if needed

So far, my school district has been very supportive of my daughter and she has really made HUGE strides. But this year, our county was in the national news because of school budget issues and I am VERY concerned that her school principal gave no thought to her classroom assignment after reassuring me that she would think it over carefully.

I'm feeling that I am going to have to start advocating for my daughter more strongly, but she has to deal with these same people for the next 4 years, so I don't want to get the "difficult parent" label.

Flory
08-27-12, 04:02 PM
* a get out of class card...i.e if he becomes overwhelmed /restless he may get up and walk around and come back

* a dictaphone to record the class as not to overwork his already overwhelmed working memory

*pre-printable notes of the class before he goes in arranged through special needs services i.e he meets on a daily / weekly basis to organise his notes for each class..if there is a slideshow he may have printouts of this

*fidgety things like bits of blue tac and stuff to re-direct fidgety hands

*lots and lots of praise...gold start charts at home are great, when he has a had a good week at school a gold star can be added toward a reward

*short and succinct goals rather than working toward one big end of project exams shorter term goals like completing one section of work etc etc

*written instructions for everything !

Kasi
08-27-12, 04:07 PM
I had an IEP, but it was for my hearing loss, rather than ADHD, which didn't get diagnosed until I was two years out of high school, however, given the circumstances, they're rather similar in what you might do to keep the attention of someone with a low focus.

**Time and a half on tests. (I got this later on in high school, because I'd freeze on tests and my teacher recommended it. It did wonders)
**Within the first two rows of the class, or clearest view of the teacher (and board), if there's a different setup.
**If there's ANY multimedia shown in the class, be it audio, video, et al., that's important to the class material, GET A COPY TO TAKE HOME, or barring that, get the teacher to give an alternate assignment.
**If possible, once a week or every other week, pull him from his best or least important class and have him talk to a counselor. It helps to vent and feel like someone in the school is listening to YOU instead of it always being the other way around. I know there were also things I didn't necessarily want to tell my mom.
**Do know that having another note taker can be absolutely worthless. I think differently than a lot of people and just having a few words to reflect back to to remember a few minutes of a lecture? Did NOT work. I needed more detail. If it's a harder class or something, you can probably request a recording device be placed near the teacher.
**Definitely don't let him be placed by a distracting student. Even if they're (the distraction) highly intelligent, it probably won't help.

Extra: ~I absolutely HATED having a blank sheet of paper for math questions, I didn't know how to put it all in a good 'order' since I tended to skip around. Ended up bumming something from a classmate that worked incredibly well. She had paper with numbered boxes, 12 or sixteen to one side, and you did the questions in the correlating number. Might help if he wants a bit of 'structure' to things. Hope this helps and you get your son what he needs!

MeejeJ
09-04-12, 05:30 PM
@ADDisme2010, wow! Thank you so much for that information. A lot of it will really help him. His school has a points system and kids will get docked for things like having their shirt untucked. I don't think teacher really understand how to work with kids with ADD.

MrDavidAlan
09-05-12, 01:54 AM
I was always a responsible student that struggled.

Late assignments never happened. I never had any disciplinary action taken upon me. Ever. I only had 1 Tarty, and that was because my friend was having a melt down, and it was excused.

However, the thing that helped me the MOST by far, and the same thing is true for me now as an adult (22 now)... is trust. I started having a lot of trust in middle school. However, in High school, I was given about anything I could possibly want to do even though I no longer was on an IEP.

I know other students that were on an IEP (I was until high school) couldn't handle it as well as I could. However, I would suggest giving it a try at home.

I was allowed to leave class, I just had to let the teacher know I was leaving through a nonverbal cue (I used a metal horse one of my teachers gave me, I simply would just leave it on the desk. I would use that time to go and get a drink of water, go to the bathroom, or sometimes just walk up and down the hall.

I never needed a hall pass (I would lose it anyway if i did need one). I also was able to make the decision to excuse myself from the class room and do it as an independent study. However, I did have to work that out with the instructors if it was a day material was being covered (work days i just left the classroom and went to the Library)

For independent studies, I was required to complete all the assignments, all the same test, and I had to have it done by the same deadline. However, If the teacher was willing I could stay after school in the library (the school would let me even have the room unlocked if the library was "closing" early that day.

it wasn't the way I did things that helped, I still struggled, however having that level of trust allowed me to be open about what I struggled with.

With an 8 year old, I dont think one can be given that much trust, however, it gives you ideas.

At my work now as an adult, I can walk around the building (I work at a hotel), or sometimes I will take a working break where I will run to the post office and mail out packages for guest, or sometimes I would even go and buy something special that i know the guest wanted (like their brand of bottled water for an example).