View Full Version : Research: Adhd & Obesity

Andrew
03-06-03, 06:15 PM
RESEARCH: Prevalence of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder among adults in obesity treatment - ADHD was highly prevalent among obese patients and highest in those with extreme obesity. Comorbid obesity and ADHD symptoms rendered treatment less successful compared to NAD counterparts. Reasons for the comorbidity are unknown, but may involve brain dopamine or insulin receptor activity. If replicated in further studies, these findings have important implications for treatment of severe and extreme obesity. - http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-244X/2/9

dcsiszer
03-11-03, 12:57 AM
It could be that ADHD people can't "Follow Through" in dieting and exercise on a regular basis.
The mere traits could be the cause.

Andrew
03-11-03, 01:08 AM
That may be, but that's not what the research indicates. :)

Tara
03-11-03, 02:30 PM
From my own exeperience I know the follow through is huge part of it.

But I think there's also that big "what came 1st the chicken ot the egg question" to ask.

Did the chemical difference in the brain cause the life style itself?

Or

Did the life style cause the chemical change in the brain?

Joanrdtobe
04-04-03, 08:50 PM
I will comment here since I had both as a child (obesity and ADD)with the ADD as yet undiagnosed....the follow-through IS hard...the organization IS hard....getting it together??? I mean sure it was easy enough to go to weight watchers and diet clinic and gyms and God knows what else I tried all those years...BUT then you had to go home and DO what they said...food shop, prep, clean, etc. I remember on Weight Watchers I had to count number of fruits per day....was it um four I had or was it five?? To this day, cooking for me, is a nightmare...I hate to admit it, but I just don't/can't cook....of coures as a single person the motivation doesn't help....but it just challenges the old ADD too much...lol...now when Mr. Right comes along that may change and I'm sure I will want to cook for him/us but frankly I hope the only thing he will ask me to make most nights is reservations....lol....OUT....OR let HIM cook...but yes tough combo add and weight...

Joan

Lafnalot
04-04-03, 11:41 PM
Well, I'll try to find some of the studies to quote, but they are finding that low dopamine, seratonin etc effects the entire endocryne sistem. Thyroid etc. High insuline levels are being found in conjunction with these low brain chemicals.

Energizer_Bunny
04-28-03, 02:25 PM
Well, I must say that I was able to follow through on a weight loss plan for 6 months and lost 42 pounds. I have body issue images and was tired of seeing the way I looked in the mirror and to top it off, it really lowered my already low self-esteem. So I made up my mind and went for it. Yes, I got discouraged, but I had people at work that supported me in the effort. To top it off, there was also diet contests in our department for money which is an incentive. And of course I won both contests.

But it is hard for me to follow through with an exercise program, or walking.......I find that very hard to do.

One must also realize that if you are on meds other than stimulants, alot of the meds cause weight gain which is what happened to me. It even got to the point where I was refusing to be put on medications that resulted in weight gain. One med caused me to gain 10 pounds in 11 days.

toydoggie
04-28-03, 08:33 PM
Along with insufficient secretions of dopamine and serutonin, behaviorally, ADDers have poor impulse control, and tend to loose focus rather quickly. Obviously with poor impulse control, one has already done the damage without being able to think it through first. (the cookie is already in the mouth). Boredom with the weight program usually sets in around 90 to 120 days after beginning a new food plan. I know, I must have lost over 700 lbs over the years, cumulatively. Once my focus becomes distracted, it's all over, and the weight re-gain sets in.

joanrdtobe
04-28-03, 09:26 PM
which is why I think it's tough to do any weight loss program alone....even enlisting group support is tough but it certainly helps....I mean getting friends together to exercise together is a great thing...everyone MUST show up for each other...i.e. stick to the commitment....or sharing meals together....cooking healthy together a few times per week is a wonderful thing....anyone ever been to Overeaters Anonymous??? Fashioned after alchoholics anonymous....a really wonderful program in my experience.....lots of support...and they really believe in the spiritual thing -- not the religious thing and the fact that we can't do it alone....

Keppig
05-28-03, 07:38 PM
I find being so disorganized really hampers my weight loss. If I don't make my lunches ahead of time, I fall off the plan, if I forget to buy things for breakfast (I always end up doing that) I fall off the plan. I mean think about what organization you need: To go to the gym, to plan your meals, etc.

joanrdtobe
05-29-03, 12:45 AM
True Kassie...even for a non-add person, planning, shopping, preparation of meals is a challenge...for US it's doubly so....all of the organization....and follow-though....that's involved....and so the fact that McDonald's now has salads is a good thing...but STILL I've always done the best when I've prepared my own food...agree with you...and I appreciate it more....as an ADD'er I have a hard time with cooking as in preparing entire meals NICELY.....my biggest fear is that the many I want to marry won't like this...:(

fasttalkingmom
06-08-03, 07:50 AM
From about the age of 14 to the of 25 I was very thin. I straved myself. I see now I was anorexic during my teen years. At about 17 I weight 105 pounds or less(I'm 5 3). Went from a a bra size of 34 C to 32 A. I didn't get my period for months and I was wearing a size 3. I remember not eating all day and I'd have a 1 scoop hot fudge sunday at night during my break at my job. If I didn't go to work I'd not eat. I did many more behavors I now see was very anorexic behavor.

When I was pregnant with my first child(26) I at first had trouble with gaining weight I was 135 pounds and losing. My Dr. told me he'd but me in the hospital if I didn't eat more. That scared me ! I gained 80 pounds !! This was my start of the other side of my weight problems.

When I was tested for ADD at 35ish(i'm now 40) I was told many women with ADD have done what I've done.Gone from one weight issue to other.

I some times wonder if my ADD is the excuse for my not being able to control my weight? But there also is, depression, PMS problems, Stress, boredom, lonelyness and are all part of my struggle to lose weight. Are these things part of being ADD ? Or are these things just a part of life? Or even a bit of both?.....

I just joined a gym and I'm enjoying the stress release I feel after. I'm hoping these maybe the help I need.

Paula

joanrdtobe
06-08-03, 04:17 PM
Paula: I don't see ADD as an "excuse". But I do see it as part of the reason for struggling with weight control. And I've had this challenge ever since childhood as well. I just always stayed on the heavy side....that's all. You mention depression, pms, stress, boredom and loneliness. I think they exacerbate ADD and they are a part of life....BOTH.....and really make weight control tough....which is why i agree with you..physical activity...in the end...does help it all...in terms of stress relief.....unfortunately the stress release is only temporary....meaning, at least for me, after exercising, I have to do it again in no more than 48hours later....or again I feel like a tired old basketcase....:(

Garry
06-08-03, 04:38 PM
In old, fat and ugly, 210 lbs, 5 foot 10 inches and have always had a stomach that looks like a beer belly. Even when I was a kid. So much I want to have that slim trim body that TV show all guys to have. The only time I ever really lost any weight was when I was on my meeds (dexadrine) for a year. Lost about 20 lbs. But also didn't have any ambition to do anything except sit on computer for hours on end.

joanrdtobe
06-08-03, 08:17 PM
Garry: A reality check may be in order here....You're NOT old....I KNOW how old you are:)....and according to latest statistics, a man your age will probably live at least another 30 years on this planet. Probably more. A man who is 5 feet 10 inches tall with a medium frame should weigh in the ballpark of 166 pounds...so you may be up by about 40 pounds give or take....not the worst situation in the world. Ugly? Last I checked beauty is in the eyes of the beholder of course. Your wife HAD to have seen SOME beauty in you or she wouldn't have married you, would she? Suggestion.....use your family to your advantage....don't want to get up from your computer? Ask your wife and kids to nicely interrupt you from cyperspace and insist on daily family walks/hikes/swims or whatever and healthy meals together....:) Everyone will benefit. Beer? Limit. It's a weight management sabotager. :) :) Good luck....

And dream BIG....no reason why you can't have something resembling the slim/trim body...(I said resembling, realizing you're not 21 years old).:)