View Full Version : Big changes

gizmo1
08-22-12, 01:08 PM
I have an 11 year old daughter and a 15 year old son with ADHD. This year is a big transition year for both of them. My son is entering high school and my daughter is entering middle school. I worry about how each will handle the extra scholastic stress.

My daughter has ADHD-PI, and only has 504 plan because she does very well in class with her medication. My son has an IEP in place for both his ADHD and his reading disability. He goes to "resource" classes where it is integrated, but they have an extra teacher in the class for assistance and motivation, and the classes allow homework to be done in class.

My son is getting a new IEP in a couple of weeks, because the HS put him in a remedial math course (because he takes a"resource" math class) but he does very well in math and scored very high in math on his state test scores. I want him to go to the regular math class so that he doesn't have to take a remedial math class, but I worry that he won't do as well on homework as he could complete in school. He would simply not finish them, get poor grades, and I would have to talk to his teacher to get extra time to complete the assignment. I worry that my son won't be able to handle all the assignments and the possibility of homework.

That was almost a full-time job the last three years, keeping my son on task. I worry how I'm going to do that in high school, or if I should just step back and let him learn on his own (something I'm not really wanting to do). But I have things going on this school year too, so I'm going to be busy.

I worry about daughter, how she's going to do. She suffers from anxiety in addition to the ADHD, so school stress will be tough on her. I hope that she will do well in school and with homework.

Anyone else dealing with transitional years with their kids? How are you handling it? What strategies are you using to get your kids through this tough adjustments time? I'd like to know that I'm not alone!

TygerSan
08-23-12, 07:58 AM
My son is getting a new IEP in a couple of weeks, because the HS put him in a remedial math course (because he takes a"resource" math class) but he does very well in math and scored very high in math on his state test scores. I want him to go to the regular math class so that he doesn't have to take a remedial math class, but I worry that he won't do as well on homework as he could complete in school. He would simply not finish them, get poor grades, and I would have to talk to his teacher to get extra time to complete the assignment. I worry that my son won't be able to handle all the assignments and the possibility of homework.

That doesn't sound quite right to me? Can he be put in a more general resource/study skills class so he can take the higher-level math. If it were me in that class, I'd be bored out of my skull. . . and that doesn't lead anywhere good.

Does he have any modifications for homework in his IEP? I was able to get a modification where I only had to do every other problem, and that cut down on the amount of time spent in homework. It's an especially good modificaiton for someone who understands the concepts already, and doesn't need the endless repetition that homework has become.

JenE
08-23-12, 09:46 AM
I agree, I don't see why he can't take higher math with accomodations. I'd definitely look into that because if he's bored with the class he won't do well either and won't progress.

My non-ADHD daughter started MS last year and it was a tough transition for her. You already have experience from your son on the differences in the teaching approaches but I think it is even more transition for girls because this is the age the cliques and the "separations" really start to happen. That being said, my daughter has done well with the transition and I'm sure your daughter will to, but there may be more emotional issues to help her with than there was for your son from my experience.

Best of luck to you! I think the start of the school year is as much or more stressful for us parents than the kids!!