View Full Version : Been treated for EVERYTHING but still feel the same. Starting to feel hopeless.

sjs475
08-22-12, 01:34 PM
I'm so frustrated and I don't know where to turn. I was diagnosed with depression in high school primarily because of low energy, lack of interest, difficulty in concentrating, etc. I've been on almost every antidepressant made and none of them really helped for long. I started seeing a psychiatrist (quack) who insisted that women who didn't respond well to antidepressants were probably bi-polar, so he added Lamictal to my Zoloft. It worked great for about 6 months, but then seemed to stop.

I switched psychiatrists and he eventually diagnosed me with Inattentive ADD, which totally made sense and explained all my symptoms and why I struggled so much in school. He put me on Ritalin I felt like a "normal" person for the first time in years. I still didn't have tons of energy, but for me it was a huge improvement. I could actually function during the day without naps. I felt so good that I asked him to take me off the Effexor because I didn't think I needed it. But once I was off it I started getting debilitating tension headaches every day and the joint and muscle pain in my neck and shoulders became almost intolerable. I would wake up early and not be able to go back to sleep because I hurt so bad.

So then he decided that I had Fibromyalgia and put me on Cymbalta. So far it has done nothing to ease my pain and my fatigue seems to be back full force, despite him increasing my Ritalin. I'm starting to take naps during the day again and feel too exhausted to do anything. My headaches are worse than ever, and now I have a new host of symptoms that started about 6 months ago. I suddenly developed tendonitis and muscle weakness in both elbows, and it has been constant ever since. I feel like I have arthritis in both hands and can't grip things or open jars anymore. And my hair and eyebrows started falling out, despite increasing biotin and other vitamins, and now it's so noticably thinner than I want to cry whenever I look in the mirror. I literally feel like an 80 year old and I'm only 37!

I have an appointment tomorrow to get checked for low thyroid or autoimmune disease, but if those tests come back normal I don't know what else to do!

dogluver358
10-23-12, 04:52 PM
Did you get checked? The doctors thought I had lupus at first because I also had similar symptoms and hair loss. For me the hair loss was related to another med and the other symptoms were fibro-related. How did your test turn out?

lowbrainpower
11-10-12, 07:29 PM
Be careful with antidepressants. I have found that while on antidepressants the effectiveness of both the antidepressant and the stimulant cancelled each other out. While every person is different, perhaps your antidepressant use is stopping the Ritalin from working as well as it should, as well as Ritalin blocking the effectiveness of the antidepressant.

I have found that when on a stimulant alone all of my psychiatric problems went away. Even though they say to never use a stimulant when on bipolar, I did anyway because I knew my body better than any quack doctor. I needed an upper, and not another downer. Be willing to try different things and listen to your body telling you what it needs. Demand compliance because you are paying them and not the other way around. These quack doctors do not have mental illness and don't know what it's like, so they go by the book which was written by people who also don't have mental illness. What we have here is a case of the blind leading those who can see, only the blind have the food supply so we have to listen to them (********).

It's also better to be in mania than suicidal depression, which I'm sure anyone who has even been in suicidal depression will agree with. In my case Ritalin prevented both.

Lastly, in my case my bipolar symptoms were caused by high ammonia levels in my brain, due to a malfunctioning liver. Turns out I still have a bad case of ADHD, but this is nothing compared to the hell that is rapid-cycling bipolar. Now that I have that under control, I can still remember what bipolar was like (it is the worse hell anyone can ever imagine and I wouldn't wish that on my worse enemy) and someday when I finish school hope to level the playing field as a good psychiatrist that is able to actually relate to his patients.

Get well soon!

lowbrainpower
11-10-12, 07:31 PM
In addition (and this goes against all medical recommendations) try eating a healthy, high-sugar diet (LOTS OF FRUIT!).

If you suffer from low energy then you need all the energy you can get. When you have energy a lot of the mental baggage goes away because you can use your brain to deal with problems, rather than shying away from them in an energy-deficient stupor.

I have found that a high fruit diet, in combination with Ritalin, works wonders for energy levels, and that all this healthy, complex carb, high protein, nonsense actually makes it worse.

Go eat a brownie.

Drewbacca
12-13-12, 09:11 PM
In addition (and this goes against all medical recommendations) try eating a healthy, high-sugar diet (LOTS OF FRUIT!).

Fruit. Not fruit juice. Pay attention to the glycemic index. The problem isn't sugar, per se, it's how fast the body processes it (leading to spikes). Actual fruit, with high fiber, will break down at a slower and more consistent rate.

dresser
01-10-13, 05:21 PM
sjs475 there good points made by lowbrainpower and chewbacca with this forum i can talk to the docters because of the education the forum has led me to on the outside world (Im just digginfor info one points to another kinda fun, feel guilty about the time but I feel good .) as well as the info from (forum)this world of experience not more theory than experience . and I'm becoming better able to demand complience from the medical corp and respect (in case they thaought mmmm hypocondriact) nope !!! keep comin back sjs475 we need ya and want ya

Piper30
03-20-13, 08:44 PM
sjs475 I hope you are doing well .. I am very curious what ended up happening.

I very much agree with you lowbrainpower concerning antidepressants. Not only can they themselves cause some serious side effects, including making your moods and emotions worse .. but also (I speak from first hand experience) there are antidepressants, as well as commonly rx meds for fibro and lupus that interact with adhd meds.

My doc didn't catch that, pharmacy didn't catch it either .. it was when I had a severe reaction (Seretonin Syndrome once and Neuropathic Malignant Syndrome the next time) that they figured out maybe the combos I had been given should reconsidered.

Also it is vital to remember with Fibro, most who have it are hyper sensitive to medications. Or like me, have paradoxical reactions to medications (it does the opposite of what it is supposed to do) .. it is very tricky the medication game when it comes to treating Fibro and ADHD and other co morbid conditions. I used to be timid when it came to the doctor. Now, I am firm and I don't let anyone push me around ..nor do I take a docs word that a medication will work for me. I research now on my own... I am lucky my doc finally got on board though and is more cautious about changing or adding meds.

I hope you check back or someone talks to sjs475 ... hope all is well.

amiegrace
04-05-13, 06:49 PM
I was just reading a bunch about hormone problems in women, and I noticed that (amongst a million other things) a hypoactive THYROID and insufficient PROGESTERONE in women can cause a lot of the very symptoms you are discussing. I have used natural progesterone to address multiple miscarriages, and the result is 9 months old :) It also did a number on my (vicious) PMS. MANY women have the bam-pow of a thyroid that isn't doing what it's supposed to and progesterone levels that aren't evening out dominant estrogen symptoms.

The progesterone helped, and I'm getting tested for thyroid. I'm not a dr. but I know what's helped me.

Suggestion: take your basal body temperature (temp in the morning before you get out of bed) for three days. If it averages below about 97.6, it's worthwhile to get it checked out.

If you want more info (I research just about everything related to this obsessively!) let me know. PM me if you like. I can forward you to a lot of resources to consider.

amiegrace
04-05-13, 06:50 PM
PS some of the resources specifically address reducing or eliminating fibro symptoms.

Silvermoonstone
04-10-13, 03:05 AM
Not sure if this would help, but I recall learning a solution to help with sleep patterns.

This man was having sleep problems, so what he did was one night, he stayed up and didn't go to sleep. The next day he didn't take any naps and went on his day as normal. When the next night came, he was so exhausted he fell right to sleep, and his body clock's cycle was reset to normal the next day.

How many hours of sleep do you have a day? Average is eight, but if you don't get enough restful sleep (go into deep sleep, not just 'sleep' sleep) your body gets deprived - and you need to catch up on the restful sleep. The catch is, you can only regain 2 hours a day, and no more. For example, if you miss 4 hours of sleep one night, it'd take an average of 2 days to be fully caught up again.

Piper30
04-16-13, 07:02 AM
I've tried that with sleep issues ... didn't work so well for me :( Fibro and sleep a mystery I would love to unravel.

Thyroid was mentioned...definitely get a non standard thyroid test, it is very common for the standard work up to show nothing but if a closer look is taken almost always when someone has fibro they also have thyroid issues ... one study I read said 100% but I don't know how many the study included .. addressing thyroid will help many symptoms.

Darksanity
05-03-13, 07:01 PM
Be careful with antidepressants. I have I did anyway because I knew my body better than any quack doctor. I needed an upper, and not another downer. Be willing to try different things and listen to your body telling you what it needs. Demand compliance because you are paying them and not the other way around. These quack doctors do not have mental illness and don't know what it's like, so they go by the book which was written by people who also don't have mental illness. What we have here is a case of the blind leading those who can see, only the blind have the food supply so we have to listen to them (********).
Yup and I would add most shrinks have no experience with taking any of the drugs they're pushing and have little true idea of the suffering or side-effects from meds their patients deal with. This leads to mild bipolar, schizophrenics high-functioning autism, OCD sufferers, and more being put on antipsyhotics (which I see as a notoriously nasty class of drugs). Couple days later patient shows up with bad case akathisia (one of the most mentally damaging conditions humans can face imo... like chemical torture). Anyway then psychiatrist foolishly thinks the patient is having a psychotic epidose so doubles the doses and couple days later oups the patient commited suicide! :doh: so sad maybe he didn't take his medication as prescribed? (thinks the shrink) :rolleyes: