View Full Version : ohhhh sh*t I broke my dads laptop....help me

Flory
08-22-12, 10:31 PM
Ok so I'm staying at my dads (its permitted when stepmother is away in south africa :D ) unwinding , watching some jersey shore online (sorry I know its utter trash but I like it) all of a sudden th laptop freezes up and I discover I have the ukash virus which basically is a fake 'police warning you must pay 100.00 thing that comes up an completely freezes everything

1) I've started in safe mode , the virus has been quarantined however when I start in normal mode the virus is still there you literally can't do anything
2) Th laptop is my dads work computer (oh sweet ****) so you need admin passwords for various functions incl the 'delete virus from sophos AV function'

WTF do I do you guys my dads gonna kill meeeeeeee

silivrentoliel
08-22-12, 10:36 PM
do you know the admin password?

what virus software does he run?

does it have a backup that you can load from before the virus got into the system?

have you googled how to remove it?

there's something called regclean that DH used to use before we switched to Macs... but I dunno if it's for those of us that *aren't* computer gurus.....

peripatetic
08-22-12, 10:42 PM
****. I think you might just have to fess up. I did that on my work computer accidentally. they had to rebuild the ****er. it sucks but don't let him connect to the work network with it or they'll be ten times as irate.

sympathies :-(

Abi
08-22-12, 11:04 PM
In safe mode, go to Control Panel and select Backup and Restore [Windows Vista / 7]

Restore the system to the most recent restore point. [Check that no installed programs will be affected first. Windows will list these, if any]

sarek
08-23-12, 01:50 AM
Get malware bytes anti malware and run it. I had a similar bug a few weeks back and this solved it for me where other AV software missed it.

Flory
08-23-12, 07:24 AM
thanks you guys...i fesssed up and my dad was pisssed :p its because sophos needed updating and it has basically come from a popup window !!! seriously you guys this virus sucks makesure you have malware software >.<

Haakenlid
08-23-12, 12:03 PM
If you don't have admin privileges/password on the computer I suspect that someone else let the virus in. Just watching Jersey Shore will not infect a computer with malware (even though it seems plausible).

sarek
08-23-12, 03:03 PM
Actually in my case it came from a site that produced VST plugins. But the site had been hacked without the owner realising that. The bug is actually quite clever. It finds out which country you are in and then digs up a faked national police notice telling you to pay up or stay blocked off the internet.

Malware bytes AV found and removed the bug for me and it has not troubled me since. As it turns out the bug actually had a name sounding something like extortionware.??? or similar.

silivrentoliel
08-23-12, 03:30 PM
yet another reason I don't run Windows ;)

Rebelyell
08-23-12, 03:56 PM
Yet another reason why I dont watch the jersey shore on the pc:D They arent really even from jersey but me amtram and sarah sweets are,we should start the adhd version of jersey shore:D JK

Drewbacca
08-24-12, 01:18 PM
thanks you guys...i fesssed up and my dad was pisssed :p its because sophos needed updating and it has basically come from a popup window !!! seriously you guys this virus sucks makesure you have malware software >.<

No one to be upset with, but himself. Telling him was the right thing to do; it's his problem if fessing up made him angry as these things tend to happen if a computer isn't protected.

ana futura
08-24-12, 01:35 PM
I love Jersey Shore :P

TheChemicals
08-24-12, 01:44 PM
Jersey Shore is garbage....but it definatly is hard not to watch.

Flory
08-24-12, 03:46 PM
Rebs pleeeeaasee do make a jersey shore and let me live in the house also...:D

Flory
08-24-12, 03:48 PM
Also ronnie is *****in hot....it serves its purpose as perv material :D

Flory
08-24-12, 03:49 PM
Also we have the only way is essex and geordie shore over here...towie is ok but geordie shore is utter ****e x