View Full Version : Help in Corpus Christi

Nodwink
08-23-12, 11:30 AM
I was diagnosed with adhd about 6 yrs ago by my regular dr. I had read about it online and seemed to meet all the criteria except for the depression. I'm actually a very happy go lucky guy. The worst part of add for me is the memory problems, short and long term. My past is all hazy with a few vivid occurances. I hate it. My wife remembers everything. She can usually jog my memory with her detailed descriptions. But some things i don't recall at all. Strangely, some of the clearest memories i have are of times when i was drinking. Not that I was a big drinker. I mean like barbeques or watching football games with friends. Just social occasions where alcohol was consumed. I think I also think a little clearer after a beer or 2. I seldom drink alcohol, so I haven't tested this theory at length. It may be completely unrelated and not the point of my post.

I was prescribed strattera for my adhd when first diagnosed. I took it for about 2 months, but I couldn't handle the tingly side affects and stopped taking it. I've just learned to deal with the disorder for the past 6 yrs. Its sucks. I never finish anything I start. More and more, I just don't start anything. I have no social life. I barely speak to my family. I feel very tongue tied with most people including family. I've been married for 19 yrs. We have our ups and downs, but I don't really blame the disorder. She says I don't listen. I say I forget. She says I don't care about anything. I say I don't let things bother me. I think I'm the nicest guy, but she says I can be a real jerk sometimes. Sometimes my temper is very short. I'll admit I have no patience for anything. That's just me.

I heard a story about a adderall on npr recently. I think the story was more about the kids abusing it. But the experts were saying what a miracle drug it was for people who legitimately have adhd. So I want to try it. I lived in florida when I was diagnosed, now I live in Corpus Christi, TX. I don't have a dr here. I don't have insurance, but I can afford the dr visit and the medication.

Basically, I just want to walk in and get a prescription. Who should I see? How can I make sure I see the right person? Any recommendations in Corpus Christi? I don't mind sitting down and telling a dr or psychiatrist my history. I just don't want a long drawn out process. I don't think therapy is the key. I don't have the patience. Just give me the medication. Either it helps or it doesn't. If not, I'll go back to dealing with it. I've been doing it for 40 years.

Thanks
James

Nodwink
08-24-12, 07:57 AM
Any recommendations for a psychiatrist in Corpus Christi?

Thanks

pie4fools
08-24-12, 02:19 PM
I was diagnosed with adhd about 6 yrs ago by my regular dr. I had read about it online and seemed to meet all the criteria except for the depression. I'm actually a very happy go lucky guy. The worst part of add for me is the memory problems, short and long term. My past is all hazy with a few vivid occurances. I hate it. My wife remembers everything. She can usually jog my memory with her detailed descriptions. But some things i don't recall at all.

I was prescribed strattera for my adhd when first diagnosed. I took it for about 2 months, but I couldn't handle the tingly side affects and stopped taking it. I've just learned to deal with the disorder for the past 6 yrs. Its sucks. I never finish anything I start. More and more, I just don't start anything. I have no social life. I barely speak to my family. I feel very tongue tied with most people including family. I've been married for 19 yrs. We have our ups and downs, but I don't really blame the disorder. She says I don't listen. I say I forget. She says I don't care about anything. I say I don't let things bother me. I think I'm the nicest guy, but she says I can be a real jerk sometimes. Sometimes my temper is very short. I'll admit I have no patience for anything. That's just me.

I heard a story about a adderall on npr recently. I think the story was more about the kids abusing it. But the experts were saying what a miracle drug it was for people who legitimately have adhd. So I want to try it. I lived in florida when I was diagnosed, now I live in Corpus Christi, TX. I don't have a dr here. I don't have insurance, but I can afford the dr visit and the medication.
Thanks
James

You can get the prescription, any doctor will see you history and write you one. They will know if you need a high or low dosage. and if they decide low, you have a long road with that doctor to get a higher dosage, if you really need it. I know that if you do not have the ADD/ADHD you will know after your first or second dose of Adderall,(Cant say i know what the ADD alternatives do) If it is for you.

But what will probably happen if you don't stop and take another medication. Is the medication will get you high the first time, you'll have energy increased, more focus, increased social skills and short term memory. If its a Ultimate Euphoric high, everything will be incredible, no matter what it is. (It also makes you dumb, thats why i dont like when i get that high.) You'll take it regularly, and increase the dosage as you build up a resistance until you get hardcore insomnia, feel extremely agitated, a constant neutral feeling balancing between "im okay" and "hopeless".

That is what people that i know that got a script for mostly energy and focus. If you want to get the script, it is easy, they need to raise the standards. But if you feel wired from that adderall id stop man.

The IR and the XR are two different needs, dont be afraid to tell your doctor that you think you need something. In my experience IR relaxes me, works at 30 minutes, and goes for 2 hours, then a bad crash if you dont take another.

The XR lasts 6 hours for me, It kicks in after 1 hour but makes me feel like a zombie. It does calm me down and make me tired, but it makes me stupid, which is not what i am looking for (not stupid because of a high, stupid because of the feeling of cloudy brain)

You can only use some of my comparisons...i guess im considered serious ADD/ADHD but a quick over view for you.

IR: Usable brain(not racing,not cloudy,not ****ty short term memory)
Does end after 2 hours. But it cured ALL symptoms, made me happy, but not high. First time you take it you get stupid high.

XR: Lasts 6 hours, i would compare it as feeling like a zombie, cloudy head, bad short term mem.

Just depends on how you are. In my opinion, if you don't feel hyperactive, weighted breath, anxiety(three different names for the same feel) or some other common feelings then you shouldn't take it.

If you find the right Mixture,MG,IR or XR, and times to take, then youll have a great life.
Keep in mind that everyone is different...I got diagnosed 3 days ago and was scripted 20mg IR, then the next day 30mg XR. I have to take one of the pills to go to sleep.

Good luck

Nodwink
08-24-12, 05:12 PM
Wow, thanks for the info. You've learned alot for being diagnosed just 3 days ago. I didn't realize these drugs were so strong, they would get you 'high'. I hope it's not like crystal meth or anything addictive. I know they're like distant cousins, but I thought the add drugs were very low dosage. Sounds like it will take some getting used to. I seldom take aspirin, much less anything hardcore.

Honestly, I wish I knew someone who was taking these medications, so I could try before I buy (so to speak). I know that's not the wisest avenue, but, hey, impatience is one of my symptoms. I'm dying to know what normal feels like. I don't feel like there's anything wrong with me. I'm just lazy, I can't remember jack tish, and I'm somewhat antisocial. It's like telling someone they're sick and then explaining they're too sick to know they are sick.

Thanks
James

Nodwink
09-04-12, 10:33 PM
Gave up seeing a psychiatrist. They aren't taking new patients or won't take cash. Ridiculous!

Finally got an appointment with a family doctor. Saw her today. After 10 minutes of small talk, she says "I see here you wanted to talk about ADHD". For some reason she hadn't gotten my medical records, so I explained that I had been diagnosed and prescribed straterra. She said she doesn't think I have ADHD. She said I seem perfectly normal. I listed off some of the symptoms I have. She said it sounds like every guy she knows. I asked if it was because I'm not depressed or because I can carry on a normal conversation without jumping up on my chair and acting crazy or what. She wouldn't say. She didn't ask any questions pertinent to the disorder. Just, do I have a job (yes), do I have kids (no), do I smoke, drink, drugs (yes, no, no). She says she has patients who have ADHD, and I'm nothing like them. I don't know what to say. I'm not depressed. I'm not anxious. I don't have trouble holding a job. I don't cheat on my wife. My parents don't have medical issues.

She says a family doctor isn't qualified to diagnose someone with ADHD. She seemed pretty sure I don't have it. She wants me to see a psychiatrist for an evaluation. Is it possible that the psychiatrist will read her notes and be skeptical before she even starts? I don't feel that would put me on a level playing field. Her secretary called the psychiatrist and told me I would have to come in for 3 appointments. One to fill out paperwork. One morning visit for the evaluation. And the final visit for the results. Total cost: $475. I work 6 days a week 5am til noon (off Sunday), so morning appt is undoable. And that's $475 out of my pocket to someone I don't trust to give an unbiased opinion.

I think I'd be better off finding my own psychiatrist. Any recommendations?

Thanks
James