View Full Version : Lamictal

ADDthis
12-10-04, 01:11 AM
My physician switched me from Lithium and Lexapro to a "new" drug, Lamictal (for Bipolar Disorder).

Has anyone ever tried this drug?
Any input?

Thanks!!

Draga
12-10-04, 02:32 AM
Oh yeah, I am on it....Works great for me..and best thing is no blood test and no internal damage like liver in stuff. It really the best that has worked for me...and I know how ya can get it for free. www.freemedicineprogram.com is where I went to get application :D

LittleD1981
06-12-05, 03:46 PM
I'm on it as well, and it has been nothing short of a miracle drug. In fact, of everyone I know that is on it, not one has had a bad experience. Good luck!

Heather99
06-18-05, 01:34 AM
On it too and having similar results. Still need wellbutrin to level out on the upside but definately feel the difference.

wolfie860
06-18-05, 09:47 AM
It is an amazing drug for a number of reasons: It works well at preventing/ minimizing bipolar depression and it's a great mood stabilizer! There is a growing body of research that says that Lamictal in combination with Lithium is the most effective treatment for bipolar depression. I was on it for 3 yrs and unfortunately my new MD(moved out of state) wants me to get off it because of a minimal risk of "Stevens-Johsons Syndrome". This is a potentially lethal all over body rash which is more prevelant in kids under 16. When I first started on the med, the doc raised my dose too quickly and I developed a rash.(it wasn't S-JS) As a precaution, he stopped the drug completely and the rash resolved. The problem was that I "crashed" ending up in a deep depression while off of it. My Dr. then re-started me back on the Lamictal titrating up slowly up to half the dose I was on previously. Was at 400mg went back to 200mg which was the magic number. I've never had any problems since then. When I voiced my concern about going off it this new doc in CT he said that the adderall XL (which I've been on for a week now) would in combination with the Wellbutrin 300xl prevent me from experiencing any exacerbation of depression. It's only been 1 day since I've stopped we lowered the doding for a week before stopping.. and so far so good. The jury's still not out quite yet. What dosage are you on? I remeber on the 5th day after starting the lamictal I got this strange and unsettling s/e. I was at work and went to ask a coworker a question..I'd known her for years when I went to call her, another women's name came out of my mouth. What I wanted to say and what actually came out of my mouth were different. Fortunately this was at the end of the work day and this s/e was gone in a couple of hours..very strange though. No one I had spoken to had ever had that reaction. Your doc should be starting you out on 25mg for a week and 50mg the next week until you get to the desired dosage The addage "start low and go slow" is definitely warranted. I think you'll find the Lamictal to be a terrific help as I did.. Good Luck!

Miakoda65
06-29-05, 08:52 PM
I've been on Lamictal since January. It has helped me a lot. No major side effects. I just feel so much better and my moods have remained level once I got built up to the 200 mg that I am taking now. My doctor added Adderall last week to help with the ADD and thus far no problems.

KnittingJunkie
07-10-05, 12:13 AM
Eh? I have to get blood levels taken every few months or so. :confused: (On 350 mg per day, just lowered from 400.) Have had to get those tests since...like, 2 docs ago or something when I got put on it. (3 years? 3 1/2? Can't remember.) Just had my blood sucked by a rather inexperienced lab tech yesterday, actually...took a level for that and a TSH. The inside of my left elbow appears to have been bitten by a rabid mosquito or something.:rolleyes:

Oh, well. Pretty used to getting blood sucked out of me...

Wait, man, what am I doing, telling this to the vampire chica, of all people? :faint: Thank goodness I ain't in New Orleans! :p

Oh yeah, I am on it....Works great for me..and best thing is no blood test and no internal damage like liver in stuff.

Matt S.
03-18-06, 03:25 PM
it was great as a mood stabilizer but my reaction to it on the side effect end was a terrible headache so i had to switch

Anonymous_steve
05-12-06, 08:01 PM
does it help with anxioty for anyone? it seams to for me. I am not bipolor but my doc thinks maybe i have some mood disorder, my mood is the same, alway has been but anxioty is going away a little

EYEFORGOT
05-12-06, 11:32 PM
it was great as a mood stabilizer but my reaction to it on the side effect end was a terrible headache so i had to switch
I went up to 300mg and the headaches were terrible. When I switched to taking 150mg twice a day my headaches were gone.

It does an excellent job for stabilizing my mood, my straterra helps with my temper (don't know why, just does) but I use lorezepam for anxiety. I haven't heard of lamictal being used for that.

LittleD1981
05-28-06, 05:02 AM
EYEFORGOT, I just LOVE your Dory icon!!! One of my favorite movies!

nature
08-14-06, 12:11 PM
Hi ADDThis,

I made the switch from Lithium to Lamictal six + years ago and was thrilled. The thick wool blankets that smothered my brain on lithium disappeared and I felt like I was finally engaging with the world again.

In fact in the past three years, perhaps thanks to Lamictal and certainly thanks to good therapy, my bipolar symptoms, particularly depression, have diminished to the point where they do not interfere with daily living anywhere near as much as my ADD challenges.

My chief issue with Lamictal is that at doses higher than 300mg it has started to interfere with cognitive function ... at 400 mg I could not confidently count objects, even from 1 to 10 because I was nervous that I had missed one. This diminished as I reduced the dose.

So part of my confusion with my recent ADHD diagnosis is ... how much of the problems are a result of the lamictal ... and to the extent that the ADHD meds aren't working as well as some expect, how much of this is about not being on the right meds vs being on these meds and Lamictal. The fact is that I have a long history of ADHD behaviour stretching into childhood (my doc basically said that the only reason no one caught it was that I was smart enough to compensate, and actually did very well academically, though if you look closely at my academic performance the few failures that exist are clearly ADHD related).

So my verdict on Lamictal in terms of me -- good drug for mood, better than Lithium, not perfect and beware possible cognitive issues ... I have found others in other forums who have spoken at length about similar memory and cognitive problems that appear to be because of lamictal. In my case it took years before I noticed thses. Also I know people who have said that as an antimanic lamictal isn't as strong as some of the others. I have managed by keeping a stash of clonazepam and perphenazine just in case (never had to use the perphenazine, take the clonazepam 0 - 5 x per month).

Hope that is useful.

Nature

nature
08-14-06, 12:12 PM
it was great as a mood stabilizer but my reaction to it on the side effect end was a terrible headache so i had to switchwondering how long you tried it for and how gradually you ramped it up. I have found that some of the drugs that ended up being the most effective for me (eg wellbutrin) had nasty side effects to begin with but if I took it very slowly and stuck it out for a week or two these eventually subsided and the benefits were worth it.

abideshu
08-22-06, 03:20 PM
I'm on week 5 in my sample kit, and I seem to be getting better each day. But my psych wants me on it to "stabilize" my mood. She hasn't told me I'm bipolar...really, she hasn't given me a diagnosis at all and I've been seeing her for a couple of months. Is that normal?

BDM12
09-01-06, 08:22 AM
Has anyone noticed a difference in effect from Lamictal when taken in the a.m verses a bedtime dose? With my schedule, it's just much easier for me to take it at night, but I don't want to if there is a chance it wont work as well. I'm just starting the drug and I'm very hopeful that it can work.

Thanks for any input.

nature
09-02-06, 01:10 PM
There is a growing body of research that says that Lamictal in combination with Lithium is the most effective treatment for bipolar depression. Wolfie, if you have more information on this e.g. specific study details, could you message me with it or post it here. I found that my mood was best while I was switching from lithium to lamictal (and taking both) but my docs are wary of this combo long term because they've never used it.

I would agree with most of the positive sentiments expressed here about lamictal with one reservation: at higher doses (for me over 200mg daily) it definitely interferes with my ability to concentrate.

PINKY
09-19-06, 05:30 AM
I'm bummed! I started Lamictal a few weeks back and showed immediate results. But within a week my throat swelled and I got the itchyest damn rash on the planet! (still hasn't gone away completely) I had been on a combo of effexor, dex, and clozonzapam but I slowly developed some intolerance to the clozonzopam (found out AFTER they thought I had a brain tumor!) It was horriblle. I went from my usual ADHD ditzy self to not being able to drive cause I was getting lost a block away! I was taking .01mg for years just fine, but surprise.
So now I'm trying Tegretol, effexor and dex.
Wish me luck, I'm a mean manic, I don't wanna be mean... honest! :(

BDM12
09-22-06, 05:38 AM
Good luck PINKY. That sucks that you had to switch. I'm also having Lamictal issues...

Has anyone experienced this??? I'm on week six of Lamictal and just made the increase to 75mg/daily. I've felt better than I have in years but since the dose increase I've become ridiculously tired at the end of the day, and it's horrible trying to wake up from sleep. I've seen some mention of this, but I'm wondering if it will subside as my body adjusts to each dose increase.

Thanks,
Mike