View Full Version : Computer Speed & Memory Optimization without hardware

Johnathon
12-10-04, 05:56 AM
Computer Speed & Memory Optimization without hardware

Does anybody know of a free and downloadable software that can significantly improve the efficiency of a computer, and thereby increasing the computer speed and RAM by up to as much as 100% without the installation of any hardware ?

I hope to find and install such an application, so as to increase the efficiency of my computer (and my cousin's), in order to install certain gaming applications that my computer's hardware cannot support (and of course, to be able to secretly play Half-life 2 without lag at my cousin's house without my parents knowing it since I'm underage).

Thank you.

Johnathon
12-10-04, 06:04 AM
Well some of the important hardwares in the system of my cousin's computer are shown below:

2.4 Gigahertz Pentium III Processor
256 Megabytes of RAM
RADEON 9200 Video card with 64 Megabytes of Memory
Direct-X version 9c

While the recommended system requirements to play Half-life 2 smoothly at a reasonable graphics and resolutions settings (not at the lowest settings)
are:

2.4 Gigahertz Motherboard Processor or more
512 Megabytes of RAM or more
Video card with 64 Megabytes of Memory or more
Direct-X version 9

Do any of you know of a Computer Speed & Memory Optimization software that can help my cousin's computer to reach the recommended system requirements without the installation of any hardware (of course, that means $$, which skinflints like my cousin won't want to spend) ?

Thanks again.

Johnathon
12-10-04, 06:05 AM
Oh man, I just hope what I'm asking for isn't the impossible ...

Johnathon
12-10-04, 06:51 AM
This is bad, I just realized that many of the computer speed optimizers increases the speed of processing by only freeing up more physical memory (RAM) and optimizing the registries of the system. The problem right now is that my cousin's computer needs more physical memory, not improved processing speed.

Furthermore, these softwares, apart from increasing computer speed, also optimizes RAM by removing memory linkages and monitoring the system so that the physical memory becomes more efficient. However, efficient and bigger are two different things. It only becomes more efficient, but not bigger, which I fear, may prove to be an obstacle (i.e. cannot run the application) when running computer games such as Half-life 2, which needs more physical memory than the amount that the computer currently has.

Are there free and downloadable softwares which, apart from making the RAM more efficient, also increases the physical memory? I don't know how this is possible, because the only way I know of to increase the computer's physical memory is to upgrade the memory hardware itself - which I wish to. I'm certainly not an expert in this, but perhaps there are softwares which allows virtual memory to be used as physical memory? Can anyone help me find free and downloadable softwares which can do this?

Toby
12-10-04, 01:43 PM
Yeah, use something unix based and not windows.

But then they wouldn't help you play half life ;)

Okay, serious answer... Recommended software requirements are never accurate. It's a good idea to kit out a fair bit above the minumum spesifications.

That said, let's use them as a guidline for now.

The graphics card (having a fairly new chipset) and processor are fine, as you've already identified, the problem is the RAM capacity.

RAM optimisation is okay on paper. But remember you're running the game concurrently, meaning you can't spare a single CPU cycle. Also you're looking for a whole two hundred and fifty megabytes, that's not something you can conjour out of thin air, especially when you want to effectively double the RAM size without hardware intervention.

Virtual memory too, is okay untill you take account of the huge difference in bus speed between a RAM chip and a hard disk. For any sort of gaming, virtual memory is not an option.

So, you've just got to upgrade ;)

RAM itself isn't too expensive, and fairly easy to fit if you're careful about static.

On a sidenote, I found a replacement windows kernel a while back from a company called Dashund Software (who seemed to have vanished of the face of the earth) . It claimed +50% process efficiancy, but I didn't really notice much difference.

bad
12-10-04, 02:07 PM
what you're hoping for is impossible

halflife 2... its minimum reqs aren't enough... it looks really bad on anything but a great computer

You can build a computer that'll run it amazingly well for about $600, if you already have a hard drive, a copy of windows, and a cd-rom... and one that'll run it pretty well for about $450

oh... and you can overclock your CPU, and overclock your ram, and overclock your video card... but unless you know what you're doing, you can fry your computer... and even then, the benefits are minimal in most cases... might improve your FPS in halflife 2 by... 10%

*edit*
just to make it clear, there's no hope of increasing your computers RAM without a hardware upgrade... you can upgrade your virtual memory (the bit of space on your hard drive that acts like ram)... but virtual memory won't help a bit for games

MafiaKiddo
12-10-04, 04:45 PM
Will Half Life 2 even run on a 64 bit graphics card. I know they say minumum required is 64mb but even with everything turned off that thing is going to lag like crazy.

Ian
12-10-04, 11:35 PM
I'm with Toby. Get a real operating system that you can save your cpu cycles for other things other than bloated systems.

Linux has many varieties that allow you to manage your hardware to much better advantage. Any of the BSD's will be the same. I've run many different distributions of Linux. The important thing here is that I can choose to tailor my install to favour my hardware. If you are so inclined the Gentoo Linux distribution takes that attitude to the extreme by compiling compilers to ensure you have aimed efficiency directly for you particular hardware.

That type of extreme nature hasn't really proven to have any tremendous advantage in the test I read. The Debian distribution did better over all and it's one of the more conservative versions of Linux.

What I like best is that I can choose how much graphic intensive software I want to run or none at all and live from the command line. I'm a weenie though and like my gui. But my gui is light weight. I don't need it to be on this box but it's a better way to live. I love the features and now can't live without six virtual desktops of realestate. Windows with one now seems laughable. Go have a look at some screen shots of "Fluxbox" and read up and you'll soon see what I mean.

Until you've actually lived in Linux for a while you can't possibly imagine how good the differences can be. One huge benefit is that my kids old P2 is rocking and they aren't looking for another "better" box. If they have applications that need some horse power I can use NFS and they can log into this box which has plenty and run apps using this machines cpu and ram but displaying on their screen as if it was installled on the P2. The possibilities are quite amazing once you get out from underneath the gates diaper.
Rabid GNU/Linux hound.

Oh and I went full time Linux in January 2000 as did the rest of my family. Nobody regrets it, my girls show off because of what they have learnt when the source is available and I've not had one worm, Trojan, virus, nada. Nor did I take any precautions other than keeping my updates looked after. Not one. I'm free and did I mention that you too can have all this for about $5 a disc? Or free if you have can download things as big as operating systems.
Ian.

Johnathon
12-11-04, 10:37 AM
Well, I guess my cousin has no choice but to upgrade his hardware. The WindowsXP and other system softwares that are running in the background of my cousin's computer took up about 38% of the RAM - when all the unimportant user applications under user-name has been shut down.

The information on the box of Half-life 2 states that the minimum system requirements are (as listed above). My cousin's system far exceeded these requirements but even at the lowest graphics, resolutions and FPS settings, Half-life 2 was lag like hell - everytime you get Gordon Freeman to move it seemed as though he was in the Matrix, it lagged badly every few seconds (and I mean FEW ... really few). So laggy was it that my cousin couldn't make past the 4th map - the map that you enter after Alx saves you took a whole 20 minutes to load! Furthermore each map only lasted a few minutes before loading! Darn ... I doubt that even a computer with duel Pentium IV processors at 3.0 Gigahertz, 1024 Megabytes of RAM and 128 MB videocard will be able to run Half-life 2 SMOOTHLY (with no lag at all) at the highest graphics/resolutions/FPS settings - Half-life 2's system requirements are just too high! If Half-life 2 doesn't work on your computer, probably Doom 3 won't work too.

Are these computer games companies nuts? No one will buy the games if no computers can support them at a reasonably smooth pace.

Toby
12-11-04, 04:24 PM
Doom 3 won't stand a chance :/

But you're right, they should really make an effort to make minumum specs accurate.

It's in their interest to keep Moores law going, it keeps us buying hardware ;)

Nevermind, it'll break down soon enough.

ATInick
03-14-06, 04:25 PM
Ok first of all Half life 2 Requires 512 mb of ram and a 1.7 gHz AMD or 2.0 gHz Intel i used to have an ati 9200 It sucks. no offense. I now own a x850 xt. But you need ram to play hl2 or source games. 256 will not even load the engine. Please specify processor type. i will send you 256 mb of ram for free if needed pm me for more info Oh ya and a new video card for free . i have tons of extras thetll run hl2 (video card is a nvidia fx 5500 overclocked hl2 on high no hdr support for lost coast)

speedo
03-14-06, 07:41 PM
There is nothing that can speed up the cpu and memory. What you get, is what you get. The hardware is the limit.

You can free up memory and cpu resources by avoiding installing a lot of software such that the windows registry becomes so convovled the only choice is to reinstall.

The other choice is to use OSX , Linux, or FreeBSD instead ofwindows. These operating systems are far more efficient in their use of cpu time and memory... things just run faster.

Me :D

Computer Speed & Memory Optimization without hardware

Does anybody know of a free and downloadable software that can significantly improve the efficiency of a computer, and thereby increasing the computer speed and RAM by up to as much as 100% without the installation of any hardware ?

I hope to find and install such an application, so as to increase the efficiency of my computer (and my cousin's), in order to install certain gaming applications that my computer's hardware cannot support (and of course, to be able to secretly play Half-life 2 without lag at my cousin's house without my parents knowing it since I'm underage).

Thank you.

ginnal
04-18-06, 05:00 PM
That PC will play HL2 just fine.

It runs quite well on my Ati Radeon All in wonder 7500 agp 4x 32mb which predates your card by at least 2 years.

ginnal
04-18-06, 05:14 PM
Ok first of all Half life 2 Requires 512 mb of ram and a 1.7 gHz AMD or 2.0 gHz Intel i used to have an ati 9200 It sucks. no offense. I now own a x850 xt. But you need ram to play hl2 or source games. 256 will not even load the engine. Please specify processor type. i will send you 256 mb of ram for free if needed pm me for more info Oh ya and a new video card for free . i have tons of extras thetll run hl2 (video card is a nvidia fx 5500 overclocked hl2 on high no hdr support for lost coast)Two words: Bull. ****.

My HL2 Machine was a AMD Athlon 2500+ with 512MB of PC2100 Ram, Coupled with a crappy old Radeon 7500 32Mb AGP 4x card