View Full Version : Anyone else able to fall asleep but not stay asleep?

adrenalinfriend
08-26-12, 01:36 AM
Recently, for the past two months, I've been having issues with staying asleep. That being said 9 times out of 10 I'll wake up in the middle of the night. Some nights I'll wake up only once but other nights I'll wake up 3 to 4 times. A typical night for me is me falling asleep from anywhere around from 10 to 12 and then within an hour or 2 I'm wake. From there I relocate from my room to the living room and fall asleep on the floor. Depending on the night I may wake up one or two times after this and switch from the floor to the couch and then fall back asleep. Also I do occasionally eat something if I wake up in the middle of the night but I hardly think that is the problem. Anyways was wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this. Maybe not waking up and relocating to the floor but waking up one or more times in the middle of the night.

O and lastly I'm taking 36mg of concerta in the morning then come mid afternoon(2-3pm) 10mg of Methylphenidate. I've been doing this for 4+ months without a problem but recently that changed. Anyways I was just curious if anyone had any advise.

CheekyMonkey
08-26-12, 02:01 AM
I've never had that, just trouble falling asleep.

That the onset was quick and you don't have a history, it is worth asking your pdoc about.

Have you had a lot of stress, more than usual, lately?

Do you have any pain issues?

adrenalinfriend
08-26-12, 04:13 PM
I've also had trouble in the past with getting to sleep as well but most of that was smoothed out. Now it's just a matter of me waking up at night now.

Also I've considered speaking to my doctor about my sleep issues but it didn't seem worth the effort just yet. I figure the doctor doesn't need to know about a few sleepless nights here and there. Though since this is a continuing problem I may have to resort to this eventually.

As for stress I hardly ever feel stressed so I have a hard time believing this is the issue. I'm very laid back about everything and would be quite surprised if this was the issue. And the same goes for pain, I'm not the slightest bit of discomfort.

I was thinking I was waking up in the middle of the night because I was hungry but after last night I debunked that idea as I still woke up after eating 2 sandwiches and 3 glasses of water before bed. Anyways I ended up falling asleep at 2:00 and then waking up at 3:22 and 4:35 and finally 9:00. No idea what the issue is.

silivrentoliel
08-26-12, 04:19 PM
I've always had issues staying asleep. I can fall asleep pretty easily, but all my life, I've been up and down at least 4 or 5 times a night. As a kid, I don't remember it being such a big deal as I always went to bed really early and woke up by myself at 5am.

As an adult who tries to fit too much into her days, I'm physically and mentally drained at night, and to not be able to sleep really gets to me.

As far as the reason, currently they have me on meds for insomnia, but I still wake up 3+ times a night and wake up more tired than I was when I went to bed, so I'm going to annoy my doc and get a referral to the sleep clinic here in town. I'm 31, I want to sleep through the night! I don't think that's too much to ask lol

Fuzzy12
08-26-12, 04:23 PM
I've always been a very, very light sleeper. When I was younger it used to take me hours to fall asleep, but now I'm usually asleep within 5-10 minutes of hitting the pillow. Maybe, I'm just more tired now.

So yes, I fall asleep easily (too easily and in inappropriate situations :doh:) but I still sleep very lightly and wake up several times every night. I very rarely feel refreshed and rested after waking up in the morning irrespective of how many hours of sleep I've had.

adrenalinfriend
08-26-12, 04:35 PM
l wake up 3+ times a night and wake up more tired than I was when I went to bedl

sounds exactly like me, no trouble falling asleep, just staying asleep. The worst has to be the fatigue of waking up more tired from the night prior. The worst is waking up refreshed and it's 2:00 in the middle of the night and then reluctantly going back to bed only to wake up a few hours later feeling horrible. Best of luck to the both of us.

silivrentoliel
08-26-12, 04:46 PM
sounds exactly like me, no trouble falling asleep, just staying asleep. The worst has to be the fatigue of waking up more tired from the night prior. The worst is waking up refreshed and it's 2:00 in the middle of the night and then reluctantly going back to bed only to wake up a few hours later feeling horrible. Best of luck to the both of us.

Yup! As odd as it sounds, it makes me feel somewhat better knowing it's not just me :lol:

Do you take any meds to help you sleep? For as long as I can remember, I've been using OTC things to help me sleep and only recently got a script from the doctor- which helps me sleep harder, but not longer.

CheekyMonkey
08-26-12, 04:49 PM
Maybe a sleep study?

silivrentoliel
08-26-12, 04:51 PM
Maybe a sleep study?

that's my next step. almost falling asleep driving to work in the mornings has tipped me over the edge. i can't take it. and it's not a normally type sleepy, i'd compare it to taking a xanax and then trying to stay awake past when your body would prefer to sleep... y'know how you feel like you'll fall asleep if you blink? yeah, that's me in the mornings.

CheekyMonkey
08-26-12, 04:56 PM
that's my next step. almost falling asleep driving to work in the mornings has tipped me over the edge. i can't take it. and it's not a normally type sleepy, i'd compare it to taking a xanax and then trying to stay awake past when your body would prefer to sleep... y'know how you feel like you'll fall asleep if you blink? yeah, that's me in the mornings.

My husband was doing that! Scared the crap out of me. He has a sleep study and was diagnosed with delayed phase sleep disorder...or whatever it is called.

Dizfriz
08-26-12, 05:21 PM
I have that problem. I have found that melatonin helps me a lot for this. I can't really recommend it as such but I would have a difficult time without it.

What I find is that if I have a bout of insomnia, it doesn't help much but if I simply wake up with a lot on my mind, I take 20-30 mg and after about a half hour begin to feel sleepy. Keep in mind that I am a big guy and that dosage may well be too much for most. I arrived at this by slowly working up and found this to my optimum dose.

Just thoughts for what they are worth.

Dizfriz

silivrentoliel
08-26-12, 06:13 PM
I have that problem. I have found that melatonin helps me a lot for this. I can't really recommend it as such but I would have a difficult time without it.

What I find is that if I have a bout of insomnia, it doesn't help much but if I simply wake up with a lot on my mind, I take 20-30 mg and after about a half hour begin to feel sleepy. Keep in mind that I am a big guy and that dosage may well be too much for most. I arrived at this by slowly working up and found this to my optimum dose.

Just thoughts for what they are worth.

Dizfriz

I tried that, but my dose was getting too high for the sized person I am (and I'm not tiny). Sadly, taking Unisom (or the generic) was out of the question because it reacted very strongly to Zoloft and didn't wear off, so I was still feeling the effects of it way into the day. At least the horrible sleepy feeling I get now wears off around 10am or 10:30am, and then kicks back in around noon :lol:

Drewbacca
08-26-12, 08:25 PM
Sadly, taking Unisom (or the generic) was out of the question because it reacted very strongly to Zoloft and didn't wear off, so I was still feeling the effects of it way into the day. At least the horrible sleepy feeling I get now wears off around 10am or 10:30am, and then kicks back in around noon :lol:

Thanks for this...
I had the same reaction to Unisom but it never occurred to me that it was the combination with Zoloft.

@all
I have the same issues regarding waking up often... I used to think that I was just a light sleeper. My sleep isn't restful and mornings are painful. Once I'm awake, I can generally stay up for days if need be but I can usually fall asleep easily enough under the right conditions.

I'm curious, does anyone else have a high blood pressure issue?

silivrentoliel
08-26-12, 09:24 PM
Thanks for this...
I had the same reaction to Unisom but it never occurred to me that it was the combination with Zoloft.

No problem! It was actually on the Zoloft info that came w/ the meds, I happened to notice whatever the active ingredient in Unisom was in the "don't take with this!" along with grapefruit juice :(

@all
I have the same issues regarding waking up often... I used to think that I was just a light sleeper. My sleep isn't restful and mornings are painful. Once I'm awake, I can generally stay up for days if need be but I can usually fall asleep easily enough under the right conditions.
I only stay up for days when my anxiety is running out of control. Flight or fight response type thing in the dumbest of circumstances. Of course, after that, I return to a normal sleep cycle even without too much trouble.

I'm curious, does anyone else have a high blood pressure issue?
Nope, mine is quite normal.

adrenalinfriend
08-27-12, 12:47 AM
Do you take any meds to help you sleep?

I was taking melatonin for the longest time but stopped becasue I hated the way it made me feel in the morning. Aside from that I try to stay away from them but am considering it now.