View Full Version : 5-htp

425runner
08-26-12, 05:37 PM
Has anyone had any success with 5-HTP for treating ADHD or depression/anxiety? I took 50mg yesterday to help with stress and while it did calm me down, I slept for 16 hrs and still felt tired. I also take l-tyrosine in the morning and 150mg Wellbutrin XL plus 10mg Dexedrine ER in the afternoon.

I'm not sure if the 5-HTP is worth it. Basically like a natural SSRI. My goal is to even out my moods, cut on impulsivity and alleviate depression. So far it seems to be worsening the depression but maybe it's one of those "feel worse before you get better" things? :scratch:

425runner
08-27-12, 06:56 AM
[quote=425runner;1355144]Has anyone had any success with 5-HTP for treating ADHD or depression/anxiety? I took 50mg yesterday to help with stress and while it did calm me down, I slept for 16 hrs and still felt tired. I also take l-tyrosine in the morning and 150mg Wellbutrin XL plus 10mg Dexedrine ER in the afternoon.

I'm not sure if the 5-HTP is worth it. Basically like a natural SSRI. My goal is to even out my moods, cut on impulsivity and alleviate depression.

Drewbacca
08-27-12, 01:34 PM
Perhaps you simply aren't serotonin deficient... that would explain the sleepiness.
5htp --> serotonin --> melatonin (in that order).

roseblood
02-11-13, 05:29 PM
I've been taking it two weeks now for OCD. 50mg doses at first (after 100mg gave me palpitations and dizziness) and then after a few days went to 100mg without problems. It seems to help. It doesn't do the hard work of accepting and letting go the intrusive thoughts, but it makes it easier by reducing how distressing they are. I find taking it with methylphenidate is better than either one on their own, because the methylphenidate can make me focus on "dealing with" the obsessions (i.e. doing compulsions), but alongside the 5htp it helps me to focus on other things, the all-business kinds of things that methylphenidate likes so much in the absence of obsessions.

I often go through a very drowsy few minutes about an hour and a half later, but it doesn't bother me much and is a good thing at night. There's still some increased tendency to dizzy spells but I already get dizzy easily due to low blood pressure and I'm used it. A possible side effect that's arisen in the last few days is sugar cravings, which are VERY out of character for me. A lot of people take 5htp specifically to get rid of sugar cravings, but I've gone from someone who normally finds it easy to be militantly disciplined with food to some kind of crazed chocolate fiend every evening. It might not be the 5htp but under the circumstances it seems likely. I've decided to fight hard against that because high blood sugar is bad for long-term mental health and brain ageing. I won't stop taking the 5htp while it helps though because frankly I could become morbidly obese and my quality of life would still be better than it is when the OCD is at its worst.

tudorose
02-11-13, 05:46 PM
Alternative meds are best taken under the supervision of a qualified naturopath. They can get access to stronger versions and can tell you if there might be any interactions. Also they will look at you as a whole person and treat you accordingly rather that just looking at one issue.