View Full Version : Trying to gain weight on adderall (via bodybuilding)

NaterS
08-27-12, 10:09 PM
I know this probably isn;t the right place, but for whatever reason i wasnt able to post in the exercise and nutrition section, or just about anywhere else, so i am starting the thread here.

So basically i am struggling to gain weight on or off of adderall. while i normally have a tuff time even of the stimulant, taking it certainly doesn't make it easier. I am 17 years old and weigh 135. not a bad weight but not a good weight. I've been taking adderall(perscribed) for about 6 months now and am currently in school, so i dont want to go off the medication.

I was kind of wondering if anyone knows exactly why adderall causes weightloss aside from the obvious stuff we've all heard(suppressed hunger, increased pulse, faster metabolism). I guess i want to know how to counter act this so i can gain weight. I've recently started eating 6 times a day with a balanced carb, protein, and healthy fats diet, while also going to the gym 3 times a week.

Has anyone else dealt with something similar? is so how?

:thankyou:

Targaryen
08-27-12, 10:15 PM
How many calories total are you consuming?

NaterS
08-28-12, 01:25 AM
About 3000. Sometimes more sometimes less. But 3000 is the goal for each day.

CheekyMonkey
08-28-12, 01:29 AM
3000?!

Wow, and still not gaining?

Maybe you have a really fast metabolism.

Might be worth it to ask to see a nutritionist.

CheekyMonkey
08-28-12, 01:30 AM
Also, celiac disease can cause people to lose weight or not be able to gain. Just a heads up.

yepimonfire
08-28-12, 09:37 PM
I know this probably isn;t the right place, but for whatever reason i wasnt able to post in the exercise and nutrition section, or just about anywhere else, so i am starting the thread here.

So basically i am struggling to gain weight on or off of adderall. while i normally have a tuff time even of the stimulant, taking it certainly doesn't make it easier. I am 17 years old and weigh 135. not a bad weight but not a good weight. I've been taking adderall(perscribed) for about 6 months now and am currently in school, so i dont want to go off the medication.

I was kind of wondering if anyone knows exactly why adderall causes weightloss aside from the obvious stuff we've all heard(suppressed hunger, increased pulse, faster metabolism). I guess i want to know how to counter act this so i can gain weight. I've recently started eating 6 times a day with a balanced carb, protein, and healthy fats diet, while also going to the gym 3 times a week.

Has anyone else dealt with something similar? is so how?

:thankyou:

start eating a bunch of junk food in addition to your regular food. i ended up having to do this when i was trying to gain weight because it was impossible to consume enough calories from "healthy" foods. it doesn't really matter where the calories come from in terms of muscle/weight gain. just as long as you're getting them in. i gained 9lbs in two months by just eating everything in sight (yes, that includes donuts, cheeseburgers etc.) 6 of those pounds were lean muscle. also make sure you are lifting HEAVY. none of this stupid "5 sets ten reps" BS. try 5 sets of 5 reps with some serious weight, big compound movements. give your body a reason to get bigger. make sure you are increasing the weight at least once every other week, if not more frequently.

you also don't need to eat 6 times a day, but hey, if you feel like micromanaging that way go for it.

beltoller
08-29-12, 10:46 PM
start eating a bunch of junk food in addition to your regular food. i ended up having to do this when i was trying to gain weight because it was impossible to consume enough calories from "healthy" foods. it doesn't really matter where the calories come from in terms of muscle/weight gain. just as long as you're getting them in. i gained 9lbs in two months by just eating everything in sight (yes, that includes donuts, cheeseburgers etc.) 6 of those pounds were lean muscle. also make sure you are lifting HEAVY. none of this stupid "5 sets ten reps" BS. try 5 sets of 5 reps with some serious weight, big compound movements. give your body a reason to get bigger. make sure you are increasing the weight at least once every other week, if not more frequently.

you also don't need to eat 6 times a day, but hey, if you feel like micromanaging that way go for it.

You shouldn't have to eat "junk" food, per se, in order to gain weight.

The problem with junk food isn't just the calories, its all the rubbish that's in it - the dyes, chemicals, toxins that don't get broken down by the body. Also, anyone thats genetically predisposed to conditions like diabetees and so forth could be playing Russian Roulette with their endocrine system.

Here's my recipie for serious weight gain: Cereal. <SP>

Seriously, eat a humongus bowl or two of cereal - and it doesn't even have to be the sugary kid's variety either - with whole milk every evening right before bedtime!

Or, better yet, 2 or 3 large bowls of grahm-crackers - broken up into small pieces so you can increase the density - with whole milk and you will start putting on the pounds.

Guaranteed.

oneup
08-29-12, 11:32 PM
Its probably your metabolism more than anything. It sounds like you are doing everything right, especially eating frequent meals. You could try adding a protein supplement and multivitamin. Mix up your workout and focus on core exercizes--they release more growth hormone. Make sure to get enough fiber too to absorb all the food...oatmeal works great. If nothing works...well...your metabolism will slow down when you get into your thirties...

NaterS
08-30-12, 12:08 AM
Well all of theses sound very useful and I'm still young so I can give all of these a try! Thanks for all of the help!