View Full Version : Does anyone know about Schizophrenia? Minus hallucinations and Delusions?

Raye
08-28-12, 06:31 AM
Hope I'm posting in the right spot, I looked around the forum and didn't see a Schizophrenia Thread. I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with the signs/symptoms of schizophrenia without the hallucinations and delusions. If so, what are yours or your loved one's experiences?

Thanks.

Raye :D

sarahsweets
08-28-12, 09:55 AM
This is what I could find from wikipdeia...hope it helps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

peripatetic
08-28-12, 10:30 AM
I do but I'm on iPhone and it's a lot to type. is there something specific concerning you? like social withdrawal or dulling affect or...? minus "positive" symptoms--added on things like auditory hallucinations, for example, and delusional thoughts, there's something called formal thought disorder that presents in any number of ways...like jumbled speech and numerous other patterns of speaking. there's also what're "negative" symptoms--something receding or missing, and those are things like becoming isolative, etc.

are there specific behaviors or experiences troubling you/person you care about? I'd be faress reserved in messaging if you want to pm.

Flory
08-28-12, 10:36 AM
hey lady, i know you were saying about the bipolar i know adhd and bp can go hand in hand and some of the symptoms can be very similar? i wonder whether the BP is more likely than the schizophrenia though the drug you are on seems to be helping and you say it manages both ? is it a mood stabiliser or an Anti psychotic...did you have any onset of symptoms at 18/19 ? i know they sometimes will say that schizoprenia if its going to happen will have its first onset at around that time...i could be talking cr*ap though ?

----also just so you know...we love you whatever it is that your dealing with raye raye :D and we're all backing you 100%

phantasm
08-28-12, 11:27 AM
Raye - I am starting to educate myself about it right now, because my mother was diagnosed with it as well as my Grandfather (her dad). Many of her siblings have it as well. I don't have communication with any of them though.

I believe my brother has it, but he won't get evaluated. I had a family meeting last night about it, in fact.

Florence is correct regarding the sypmtoms emerging their ugly head in late teens early 20's. My Pdoc told me that as well, because I wanted to be evaulated for it as well as ADHD. But I'm 38, so he said i most definitely did not have it.

What's your question or concern??

Drewbacca
08-28-12, 02:53 PM
Florence is correct regarding the sypmtoms emerging their ugly head in late teens early 20's. My Pdoc told me that as well, because I wanted to be evaulated for it as well as ADHD. But I'm 38, so he said i most definitely did not have it.

A friend of mine's schizophrenia emerged when he was 19. It was odd, because we spent a lot of time together and I could watch as he spiraled out of control. It started with obsessive thoughts, looking for connections that didn't exist, magical-thinking... it later evolved into mild auditory and visual hallucinations.
His parents refused to accept that this was happening, as he had four older brothers that had all developed schizophrenia themselves.

I also lived with a schizophrenic for a while; I was dating his daughter at the time. On a normal day, he was delusional and lost in thought... but his perceptions of the world were the same as mine. I never witnessed a full blown episode, but his family told me stories including a vivid visual hallucination of a pit to hell in the livingroom during a christmas party. He freaked out and was attempting to get everyone out of the house before anyone fell in.

From my experience, the best indication is delusion/magical-thinking...
They tend to see many coincidental interactions as having special meaning and purpose. I think we all do this to an extent, but the rational mind keeps you grounded. The NT will take such thoughts with a grain of salt. With the schizophrenic mind, there is no balance... the mind is not grounded. The ability to second guess oneself tends to be lost. Not only do you read into random events and coincidences, but you build on them. Everything in life starts to connect in meaningful ways.
I have witnessed this in both of the schizophrenics that I have interacted with.

sarek
08-28-12, 03:02 PM
Its not so easy to give a one size fits all answer. My ex-gf has schizophrenia with an almost constantly present auditory component and she outwardly exhibits mainly symptoms of social withdrawal although she has also suffered severe active episodes of 'classic' paranoid schizophrenia.

stef
08-28-12, 03:17 PM
I had a colleague who has schizophrenia (he talked about this eventually - due to an emotional shock in his teens. he had auditory delusions)
he was nervous and would pace a lot, very reserved though;

they changed his meds once, he became exuberant and talking a lot about these various scientific theories (he was in fact a mathematician so this was normal but his behaviour was completely unsettling...went from pacing, to striding and speaking loudly) fortunately he was able to get help in time and go back to his other treatment.

sorry dont know if this helps much...

namazu
08-28-12, 04:54 PM
This link from Harvard Health on "Negative Symptoms" might be of interest:
http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0706c.shtml
(Just click away the link asking you to subscribe -- not required to read the article.)

I have a family member with (paranoid-type) schizophrenia. This relative has been delusional and unmedicated (by choice, after unpleasant experience with older antipsychotics) for decades, so it's hard for me to separate out the delusional aspects from everything else.

The thought disorder, which Peri described above in broad terms, is pretty noticeable, even when the content doesn't specifically reflect the delusions (which it often does). Bizarre humor, often with contextually-inappropriate sexual or gory content, is part of it in the case of this relative.

I don't know that my relative suffers from apathy or lack of motivation, but everyone experiences the disorder differently. Some reclusive behaviors, though also occasionally agitated and prone to making strange comments to complete strangers.

We've been out of contact for a while, though, so I haven't really had a chance to learn about my relative's internal experience of the disorder.

Raye
08-29-12, 03:41 AM
Thank you.

I'm just confused & concerned about my diagnoses. The ADD meds I've tried since April and many, many anti depressants I've tried over the years haven't worked. Straterra worked for about 3 months then ceased.

2 pdoc visits before he gave me an anti psychotic for my severe depression, it made me sick so I stopped it. Last Monday I talked with my counselor and she she said my symptoms seem to indicate bi polar, and that bi-polar and ADD often have similar symptoms, but she said she was a counselor and couldn't diagnose.

So I told my pdoc I stopped all meds, he wasn't thrilled but nothing was working and didn't see the point of putting meds into by body that were useless.

I briefly told him the same symptoms I was having as I told my counselor-
so he suggests another anti psychotic. I told him the last one made me sick- he tells me that they all have different chemicals.

So I looked up the med he gave me, it treats schizophrenia and bi polar. I noticed that I have many symptoms of the negative schizophrenia and the impulsivity and depression 'cycles' of bi polar.
The first dose did not feel like an amphetimine but the sick sad feeling in my stomach was gone. Inside I feel a heck of a lot better, but I'm still at sqaure one as they have my diagnoses listed as ADD PI.

Just frustrated and want to know what's really wrong with me in laymens terms.

Drewbacca
08-29-12, 05:05 AM
Just frustrated and want to know what's really wrong with me in laymens terms.

Welcome to the club!
But, fwiw, the diagnosis matters less than successful treatment!

crystal8080
08-29-12, 11:57 AM
What is your family history?

My grandfather died in a mental hospital before I was born. He was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. So, during this journey I tried to find out as much as I could about it.

Apparently its hard to tell the difference between schizophrenia and bipolar during psychotic episodes. And back then men were more likely to be diagnosed schizophrenic if the mood component was not obvious.

You know I know how it feels to be in search of answers. And I know a lot of people say "you should get a new doctor" around here, but in this case I have to agree. I went through the 'drug trials', and things went so much smoother when I had someone actually evaluate me, give me a diagnosis then prescribe.

Raye
09-03-12, 03:24 AM
Thanks guys,

The schizophrenia/bi polar anti psychotics made me so tired and zombie like I almost couldn't function. This is plain unacceptable having a 4 yr old, plus already feeling sluggish and lethargic as it is. Sooo out went the latest anti psychotic. I go back to the pdoc on the 17th. Life is just hell. Maybe I really do just have ADD-I and anxiety/severe depression and the pdoc just isnt treating it properly. I physically feel like ****. I have so many symptoms of different impairments and I'm so p***** off that the pdoc can't figure me out. I travel 45 minutes to an hour to see this Dr., only because the psychiatrists in my area 'aren't accepting new patients' at this time. uggghhh.... I just want to be well more than anything.

rickymooston
09-03-12, 06:24 AM
Hope I'm posting in the right spot, I looked around the forum and didn't see a Schizophrenia Thread. I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with the signs/symptoms of schizophrenia without the hallucinations and delusions. If so, what are yours or your loved one's experiences?

Hi, the delusiins and halucinatins sre the main thing i am indirrctly famikpliar with. Apparrntly they dont cone about all the time

What i did observe in the 3 people i knew with it was some kind of social abnormalities i could not put my finger on

The halucination thing came about in cycles and stress may have been a trigger

If you think you havevschitzophrenia steer very far away from marijuana. Some ppl experience the full thing with that

I hope you or your loved one does not have it. It is a pretty painful thing; i am assuming the halucinations will come. On thr bright side, meds worked for my friends with it

In terms of guessing if somebody has it, dont. Consult a doctor.