View Full Version : My Brand New Computer is P******* Me Off

salleh
08-30-12, 05:55 PM
...Last month my little Toshiba bit the dust and I went shpping and sprung for a HP 17.3" laptop.....

I got one with 6GB RAM and 640 GB Hard Drive ...( that's what I copied from one on ebay, but I think thats backwards ???)

anyway, I told the guy I have lots of windows open all the time, not giant gaming one ....oh some of those but they're the small online games,....and ebay, and ADD forums,and gmail, and Vintage watch forum.....and those are always open ....when I hit 12 Windows I start to take some off....

this is exactly how I have been using every computer I have ever owned .....and while every now and then they hiccup and I have to re-boot, mostly they handled that kind of use ....

....This one has started telling me that i am using too much memory and I should save files and close programs ....and something about I was using 90% could it have been CPUs ? something like that ....

...Why is it that a computer that is bigger and badder than any of my others can't do what they do ? ...I deleted cookies, and that didn't seem to make a difference .....

did it come with a whole bunch of memory eating programs installed in it ? could that be the reason ? ...

and I haven't installed one single program other than GIMP ...it's not like I put in 1,000,000 art photos or something and I haven't even installed my photos from an earlier time ...like I usually do .....

I also told the guy I did have a lot of photos .....

he said l...oh no problem ....

uh uh ....GIANT problem ....

this is a royal pain in the neck .....can I make it better or do I have to go and throw this at the salesman ?

it sucks that problems with computers often take a while before they show up ...long past the return date....

it's not broken ...it's just not doing what it is supposed to be able to do .....

julesjampot
08-30-12, 06:01 PM
oh babe life is like this it sucks,
you think everything is going ok ,then they throw something in the mix and it upsets it all, hope its sorted soon, i will not be able to keep going without youre advise luv jules

sighduck
08-31-12, 11:01 AM
sounds like a software problem to me...

what browser are you using?

what operating system are you using?

what anti-virus system are you running?

dvdnvwls
01-03-13, 06:25 PM
Some of those small online games are programmed by idiots. They seem small but they have programming errors in them that make them hog your computer's memory and eventually crash it.

You have to play only one game at a time, and you have to always close (not minimize to tray but really quit the game and close the window) whenever you go to do something else. If you leave one of these badly-programmed games idle while you do other things, it will keep on eating up more and more memory until the computer can't take it anymore.

Bad news: Youtube and similar videos often do the same thing. You can't keep windows open for later, if they have videos. It doesn't matter if the movie isn't playing - they steal computer memory just by sitting there. Bookmark them and close the window, or else watch them now and close the window.

Drewbacca
01-03-13, 06:50 PM
Sounds like you're using google-chrome... it's notorious for eating ram.

Personally, I block most of the online games, since most of them are trying to collect information from my browsing habits anyways. Too bad for them, software can't remove my tin-foil hat.

ConcertaParent
01-06-13, 12:38 AM
I got one with 6GB RAM and 640 GB Hard Drive ...( that's what I copied from one on ebay, but I think thats backwards ???) 6GB RAM and 640 GB HD is enough for most users.

anyway, I told the guy I have lots of windows open all the time, not giant gaming one ....oh some of those but they're the small online games,....and ebay, and ADD forums,and gmail, and Vintage watch forum.....and those are always open ....when I hit 12 Windows I start to take some off Do you have 12 browsers open? If so, just use one browser with multiple tabs. Also make sure that you have run a good anti-virus program.

did it come with a whole bunch of memory eating programs installed in it ? could that be the reason ? That could be one of the reasons with HP, Dell and other manufacturers that have "bloatware" or unnecessary programs. You can open the Startup folder to delete programs that should NOT be starting up automatically (write down the names in case you need to put them back). You can also start the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) to end applications or processes you don't need.

LMK if any of the above improves your laptop.

BatBowey
10-07-13, 03:19 AM
Let's give your computer a little cleaning then :)

Uninstall all unessesary bloatware with this program:
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download‎

It detects the usual bloat software, and you can check the ones you don't use.

And then use CCleaner for cookies, temp files etc. Link: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Right. For the sake of god, let's also scan it for viruses. You never know right? For this purpose we are going to use Eset's online scanner. A trustable company, which have a pretty good detection rate.

Go here: http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ Press "Run Eset Online Scanner". Follow the guide and let it do it's thing.

Do you have a antivirus program on your machine? If not install Microsofts own. It's called Microsoft Security Defender. A google search, and take a Microsoft link. Then you should know what to do right? :)

After these steps, please tell how your computer runs. :)

Edit:

Btw. It's a good idea to install Ad block plus for your browser. Go to Google's store if your using Chrome. Or the other way around for Firefox.

Edit2: LAWLLLL Didn't see the date of the topic lawl... I'll leave this here, if someone else have the same problem...