View Full Version : Spirituality and ADD

Liuka2012
08-31-12, 11:05 PM
When I read the books by people like Sylvia Browne. She writes that before we are born we write a chart of how we want to live our lives and learn lessons. I kind of believe this. I do believe in reincarnation,

I mean I have learned such a great deal about myself. I had someone do reiki on me. It's a form of energy healing. I swear that afterwards when I did this. I felt this intense peace inside me that everything was going to be ok. It was hte most amazing feeling I ever felt.

I was not on any drugs either when i did this. I do for some reason believe in reincarnation like I stated above. (If I tend to repeat myself, sorry about this).

Sylvie Brown also talks about the Law of Attraction which states that what we beleive will come true rather if it's positive or negative. I am a person that tends to focus on regrets and be negative.

I am trying to be more positive and also do affirmations in the morning. I put a yellow sticky note on my bathroom wall and put: "I deserve to have a calm, smooth, and mellow day. I will enjoy myself and avoid negative people and try to remain as positive and optimistic as possible."

I have seen a minor difference in myself. So have other people. I also am not on medication's yet. But, I do believe that getting diagnosed with Adult ADD was a bittersweet blessing for myself.

Because, I finally know and have a olan on how my brain works and what I can do to change. The biggest change that i did was to quit drinking. Which I am doing great by. Since i have quit I have been able to think a lot more clearly. But, I do hav emy days.

What are your takes on this?

Drewbacca
09-01-12, 02:56 AM
I think there is some truth to this.

Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell
Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
The mind is its own place, and in it self
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n. Paradise Lost

Lisa_Mac
09-01-12, 03:28 AM
I haven't taken my Ritalin yet so no long answer here, but yes, I agree with you on the Law of Attraction thing. I've been studying the effects of it on my life for a few years now, and I've come to the conclusion that we definitely create our own reality.

I don't talk about it much to people, because they look at you as if you're not quite right in the head. Most people believe that we have no control of our lives, in what happens to us, but that is absolutely not true, and if you can get past the negativity, and know what you truly want, (and I'm not talking about material goods, but that's also part of it) then it's achievable.

Maybe when my Ritalin induced executive functions have kicked in I'll come back and post again. :D

Lx

Brob2
09-01-12, 06:03 AM
If I'm going to avoid negative people I'm gonna have to chuck out all my mirrors and toss the family photos.

This will be an interesting thread to follow, good stuff!:scratch:

Liuka2012
09-01-12, 04:05 PM
Yeah it is not neccessairly about throwing away all your old family photos. But, keeping them. Without having those expieriences I coudn't say today that I would not be where I am today if it was not without having my family and friends. I tried to avoid my family and friends for as long as I could. I even hid in my house for two years and did nothing. Not even go outside when it was nive out.

Except too take my kids somewhere. Get groceries etc. However, since I have left my husband I have been enjoying myself quite a bit. I tend to think and agree with the fact that what I see in other people I also tend to see in myself.

I have seen far to many people argue with me and yell and fight with me. Only to come to the terrible conclusion that I tried to ignore for so long. That it was me. Now being diagnosed with Adult ADHD I see now what was going on with me. So I didn't mean a terrible truth.

But, I say that it's a bittersweet truth for me. That I was unaware that I was acting like this for so long and that it was me and not the other people. I mean how can I blame 10 other people for telling me the same thing.

They all use to say that I was extrmely stubborn and closed minded. How can 10 people say the same thing about me. And I'm pretty sure that theydidn't get together ahead of time to say the same thing about me.

Liuka2012
09-01-12, 04:15 PM
It's like my father. He is a stubborn nosed alcoholic. I love him a lot. he has alawys been very sincere to me. But, when he drinks boy can he become mean. Everyone of us all leave and avoid him when he is drinking. I recently quit drinking about 6 months ago. It was the best decision I ever made.

He thinks that he has no problem. But, my three sister's and I adn my mom always try to tell him that he is. We even videotaped him at his worst. he still think's that he has no problem.

The point that I am trying to make here is that most people are completely unaware that they have these behavior problem's. I thought that I was normal until last January when I was in treatment for drinking. Did I ake up and look at myself really hard.

It was the hardest thing to do. But, also the most bittersweet. I don't know why but I like to describe neing diagnosed with Adult ADHD that. Because it is. Looking at oneself truly is a great feet. And truly looking at oneself and saying that maybe it is me and not them. Is a great truth.

That is why when I see people on here who are diagnosed with ADHD and truly trying to change themselves for the better. That is when thing's start to change.

Than when we realize this issue. We can start to think to ourselves. How can we shape out future. Is I found out that I am acting stubborn around other people. maybe I can also learn how to act with compassion towards others. I first though need to have cmpassion towards myself.

I am still in the stage where I feel like being diagnosed with ADHD is a bad thing. Most people tell me that it's not even a real disorder. But, I know that it is. And with knowing that I am I can now start to build upon the positives of having this disorder. That;s why I say it's bittersweet.

That's why I can just have compassion towards though that have it and don't even know. Those people who are angry and resentful. I can understand why. Because, I use to be in there shoes. I am stilll re-learning how to get over being so angry towards myself and others.

It's going to take time. But, like they say time can heal old wound's. Or is it all wound's. I don't really know. But, it makes sense. And I think that when people come to terms with who they truly are and not try and idolize themselves or come up with lies to make themselves look better, than they will not heal.

This is where are charts come into play. I do believe that God grant's us opportunities to grow. Once we look at ourselves as just learning and basically having a HUMAN EXPIERIENCE. You acn also start to see a lighter side and start laughing a bit more. I know i have found something's I use to think were terrible in my life butnow when I look back at them.

They were the best hurdle blocks I had to look at.

Liuka2012
09-01-12, 04:21 PM
I know the biggest hurdle that I had was how I saw myself with men. My last two husbands were very controlling and manipulative. I saw a pattern now in both of them. I than started to ask myself why I was with and attracting men like this. I did meditate one night on this and I found an old journal that I had and when I read it. It made complete sense to me.

I was dating men that were like my dad. They drank, were stubborn and controlling. I seem to have developed the idea that all relationships were like this. Because, growing up this is the environment that I was raised in.

I always thought I had a very normal upbringing. When I didn't. But, I started to do some affirmations about myself and told myself that I deserved a loving and healthy family environment. (Now know this didn't happen overnight it took some four years, but that was because I was still holding on to old beliefs that I had).

Now, because I know that I deserve a loving and happy family life without fighting. I have left my husband. I have not been with him for three months. He is now in a month long traetment program for his depression. I am still not sure if I want to take him back.

If I can see a huge change than maybe. But, I have decided to live by myself for the next year. I am getting a two bedroom apartment for myself and my two daughter's. It is kind of hard because I have been a stay at home mom the last two years.

But, I am also thankful that my mom and dad have allowed me to live in there home until than. I am moving my stuff out of our houseI have until October 31st. So plenty of time. But, that is my story,

I wasnt even aware that I was acting like this until I looked at myself and asked why was I repeating these patterns over and over again. HCange is hard. Looking at yourself is harder. But, it takes time to do this.

And we have plenty of time.

ginniebean
09-01-12, 08:26 PM
I enjoy studying spirituality and I do think there is a precocious spirituality associated with adhd, yet, at the same time I do not find value in the positive psychology, I've seen the damage it does. In some ways a focus on the positive is a denial of reality. I also find it gets taken too far, sometimes to the point of absurdity that we create our own reality and can and has been used to 'blame' people for illness, for poverty etc.. it has a very ugly side. Up to and including telling people to dump their friends who aren't 'happy'. This leaves those who suffer more isolated and to blame for their problems.

Barbara Ehrenreich has written some excellent stuff on this very thing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/10/smile-or-die-barbara-ehrenreich

When it comes to adhd, it's not a deficit of positivity, and there are many less than positive experiences that are associated. One of the things I most notice is that 'fact' is often called 'negative' because the 'you create your own reality' ideology confuses people into thinking that they can alter facts. This is simply not the case. Honouring all of our lives, the ups and the downs, the goods and the bads is not only wholesome in terms of spirituality but beneficial. As the buddhists say, "there is no way, that is not a way"

People with disabilities need to be encouraged to speak of their lives, and often their lives have been filled wth abuse, marginalization and even great suffering, without someone there to hear and receive them, that suffering will be compounded.

This is how I honestly feel,and I hope you don't think that i am just needlessly criticising. Positive thinking is often just repression of the negative and when that happens, we know that what is repressed will manifest in other ways.. and often create a worse problem than acknowledgement and working thru the negative experience would to begin with.

Icantbraintoday
09-01-12, 10:16 PM
I grew up baptist then envangelical then 11 yrs agnostic/no affiliation. Been going to a Unitarian Universalist church now for a couple months. Love it. It is so great to be around smart, logical people in the journey for knowledge. So far so good.

Lunacie
09-01-12, 10:52 PM
I'm with Ginnie about choosing reality over trying to convince ourselves that

everything is positive. Some things just suck, and some things are pretty darn wonderful.

Amazing how it all balances out, eh?

I also believe in reincarnation and that we take some time between lives to

decide how we want to live and what we want to work on in our next life.

Do we make a "chart" ... hm, it's hard to believe I could be organized enough

to do that even when I'm pure spirit. :giggle:

I began doing energy work and healing about 21 years ago, and took a class

to become a level one Reiki practicioner myself about 11 years ago. I've healed

several broken bones faster than "normal", and the same for cold viruses, but

I don't seem to be able to change things like whether I have ADHD or Migraine Disorder.

Those are how I was born, just like I can't change myself from female to male

through Reiki energy. Healing and changing are two different things. I can't heal

my ADHD because I'm not "broken", I'm just different.

Kunga Dorji
09-02-12, 09:02 AM
When I read the books by people like Sylvia Browne. She writes that before we are born we write a chart of how we want to live our lives and learn lessons. I kind of believe this. I do believe in reincarnation,

I agree. Look as problems as lessons. Believe in reincarnation. Both of these mental choices are empowering, whether or not they are true ( but I think they are true- I have done enough experiments).

I mean I have learned such a great deal about myself. I had someone do reiki on me. It's a form of energy healing. I swear that afterwards when I did this. I felt this intense peace inside me that everything was going to be ok. It was hte most amazing feeling I ever felt.

I was not on any drugs either when i did this. I do for some reason believe in reincarnation like I stated above. (If I tend to repeat myself, sorry about this).

I have had striking experiences in the hands of skilled reiki practitioners.
I think that "reiki" points to an unacknowledged "interconnectedness" that is the basis of all existence. There are some who say that a certain famous religious figure in Western culture was a master reiki practitioner. Re reincarnation- I would suggest that the life choices we make if we choose to believe in reincarnation are more positive than the choices we make if we do not. We do not have to take every "belief" seriously. Simply look at the ideas as a 'working hypothesis" and see where that takes you. Does acting on the belief make you happier and kinder, or unhappier and more mean? That is ALL you need to know.

Sylvie Brown also talks about the Law of Attraction which states that what we beleive will come true rather if it's positive or negative. I am a person that tends to focus on regrets and be negative.

I am trying to be more positive and also do affirmations in the morning. I put a yellow sticky note on my bathroom wall and put: "I deserve to have a calm, smooth, and mellow day. I will enjoy myself and avoid negative people and try to remain as positive and optimistic as possible."

I have seen a minor difference in myself. So have other people. I also am not on medication's yet. But, I do believe that getting diagnosed with Adult ADD was a bittersweet blessing for myself.

Because, I finally know and have a olan on how my brain works and what I can do to change. The biggest change that i did was to quit drinking. Which I am doing great by. Since i have quit I have been able to think a lot more clearly. But, I do hav emy days.

Positivity is everything.
"if you believe that you have a curable disease, then you are right. If you believe that your disease is incurable, then you are also right".

Watch this movie- all 12 parts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUL_0E305v4

Liuka2012
09-02-12, 01:05 PM
I have seen what the bleep do we know. It's a great movie. I actually watched it last week. I do think that people take the positive theory too far. But, is there anything wrong with being to positive. It givs people hope. But, it's the ying and yang people need to think about. I was trying to more point out the law of attraction and yes something's are just as they are. Like you said you can't change from male to female.

Fuzzy12
09-02-12, 01:49 PM
Liuka, I really don't know. I'm neither spiritual nor do I believe in anything else so I'm not sure if I should be commenting but this is what I think.

I don't think that positive thoughts can influence external events that aren't related to these thoughts. I mean, positive thoughts can influence you and they can influence people whom you tell about these thoughts but I don't think that they do anything else.

Like Ginnie said, I prefer to see reality as it is though I believe that reality is a pretty subjective conceptive. We see the world through our eyes, coloured by our thoughts, experiences and physiology. So, I'm not sure that reality exists as an independent entity but I also don't think that that which we conventionally understand by reality can be influenced (Um..I see how I'm contradicting myself but I'm struggling to find the words to explain this properly).

For example, if an earthquake is happening then I think irrespective of what we believe, think or want, that earthquake will happen. However, we can choose to ignore it, to pretend that it's not happening or to believe that it's actually a positive thing for whatever reason.

We can't influence the event but we can choose how we perceive (or don't perceive) an event.

That's how I interpret Drew's poem as well. The mind can think whatever it wants to think. It can think that heaven is hell and that hell is heaven and it wouldn't be wrong. But whatever it's designating as heaven or hell, it can't really change the objective nature of that, just it's interpretation.

Hope that makes some sense. :confused:

Liuka2012
09-02-12, 11:33 PM
FuzzFor example, if an earthquake is happening then I think irrespective of what we believe, think or want, that earthquake will happen. However, we can choose to ignore it, to pretend that it's not happening or to believe that it's actually a positive thing for whatever reason.

We can't influence the event but we can choose how we perceive (or don't perceive) an event.
y12

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what you posted here is very true. We can think to choose how we want to perceive something. I do believe that. I also believe though that people have many choices. I am glad you posted on here. That's the amazing thing is that so many people have different ideas to thier own lives.

I believe that no one person is right or wrong. I also think that people for example: Like religion. When christians look at Jesus being born from a virgin mary. Isn't that similar to mythology like when the greek God Zuess had so many kids.

I am just trying to get at I suppose that everyone will percieve everything os differently. People can look at one object and there will be a 100 different view points about the subject. For example looking at a painting like the Pablo Picasso ones.

Some people will think it's an ugly painting. Some will think it's far out. Some will just stare at it and find some image that they like.

rickymooston
09-03-12, 06:41 AM
Hi, i think positive thinking can work. Obviously, if yiu try, you can succeed if you dont try, you always fail. I also think the attitude you project influences how people treat you.
That is the "truth" in the law of attraction.

I thought siliva brown was a "psychic". I have never tried reiki. Great if it works for you. I am suspicious of it. ;).

Meditation works. I think that is great spiritual trestment for adhd.

Liuka2012
09-03-12, 09:54 PM
Yeah it is. The cool thing is I met Sylvia Browne in person and I got a picture with her and her autograph. It was so cool. I thought she was very nice and funny. She is such a thistle type of attitude.