View Full Version : Interactive Metronome, can anyone give feedback on this?

chucksusanb
09-01-12, 09:07 AM
Hello,

We have a consultation for Interactive Metronome. I'm curious if anyone has used this and what their experience has been. Our daughter has not been diagnosed, but if she does get one, I am thinking ADD predominately inattentive type. She is 8.5 years old

Thank you.

ConcertaParent
12-12-12, 09:11 PM
We have a consultation for Interactive Metronome. How did your consultation go? I have a phone consultation this week. After reading the old threads (http://www.addforums.com/forums/www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60674) from ex-posters who were helped with their own metronome training, I want to just order the IM-Home Version 2.0 ($599), but the company requires us to pay extra for an IM certified provider :eyebrow: who may want to maximize the number of clinical visits and fees.

Dizfriz
12-13-12, 09:25 AM
Here's what the The National Resource Center on AD/HD (Funded by the CDC, it is the national clearinghouse clearinghouse for science-based information about ADHD) reports.

Complementary and alternative treatments, how to judge.
http://www.help4adhd.org/en/treatment/complementary/WWK6

Interactive Metronome Training

Interactive Metronome Training is a relatively new intervention for individuals with ADHD. The Interactive Metronome (IM) is a computerized version of a simple metronome -- i.e. what musicians use to "keep the beat" -- and produces a rhythmic beat that individuals attempt to match with hand or foot tapping. Auditory feedback is provided, which indicates how well the individual is matching the beat. It is suggested that improvement in matching the beat over repeated sessions reflects gains in motor planning and timing skills.

The rationale behind IM training is that motor planning and timing deficits are common in children with ADHD and are related to problems with behavioral inhibition that some experts believe are critical to understanding the disorder. In addition, these deficits are alleviated by stimulant medication treatment. Thus, it is plausible that interventions to improve motor timing and planning abilities directly, such as IM training, could also be helpful to children with ADHD. There is no evidence that motor in-coordination is related to behavioral inhibition.

To date, there has been a single study of IM training for boys with ADHD.<sup>15</sup> This was a well-conducted study with appropriate control groups, and the results indicated that boys who received IM training showed improvements in a wide range of areas. Thus, this intervention appears to be promising.

Additional research using IM training in individuals with ADHD is necessary, however, before the value of this approach can be known with greater certainty.Like many things in this category, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Dizfriz