View Full Version : 1st Grade Problems

openmind
09-02-12, 02:05 AM
i know you all want a summary, but there's so much involved.anyway
i have adhd and was prescribed vyvanse 30mg

eldest daughter is my copy, 6yo. separated from wife for past 3 years, both daughters living with mother
mother is having a hard time with the eldest. 7.30am school is really hard to get her up. tantrums and arguments every morning i'm told. wont sleep on time at night. mother refuses to get daughter tested (in denial and worried daughter will get labelled)

at school she's an angel, but no social skills, gets picked on easily. low self esteem.
doing ok, but struggles with school and the work.
throws fits that she hates school wants a nap like pre-k.

what do we do? i know get tested, but say that isn't an option. Montesorri? private school that helps her build confidence.
daughter wont try any out of school activites.
this hurts seeing her going through this.

Black_Rose1809
09-02-12, 06:09 AM
i know you all want a summary, but there's so much involved.anyway
i have adhd and was prescribed vyvanse 30mg

eldest daughter is my copy, 6yo. separated from wife for past 3 years, both daughters living with mother
mother is having a hard time with the eldest. 7.30am school is really hard to get her up. tantrums and arguments every morning i'm told. wont sleep on time at night. mother refuses to get daughter tested (in denial and worried daughter will get labelled)

at school she's an angel, but no social skills, gets picked on easily. low self esteem.
doing ok, but struggles with school and the work.
throws fits that she hates school wants a nap like pre-k.

what do we do? i know get tested, but say that isn't an option. Montesorri? private school that helps her build confidence.
daughter wont try any out of school activites.
this hurts seeing her going through this.

She should be tested, believe me. Do it. It may help her in the long run. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 9 years old! I wish I was so I could have had the help I was meant to have. Tell the mother that it's a good idea to do it so you can know if she does or not and take the worry off your shoulders. She will not be labeled, as long as the teachers understand the problem and you are around the school, showing you are concerned and watching her carefully, and watching the teachers, there will be no problems with bullying or anything.

sarahsweets
09-02-12, 07:34 AM
Was there some sort of custody arrangement made or is it just that you both dedcided they would stay with your wife? If you both are still considered custodial parents then you have every right to insist she gets looked at. If its a matter of your wife saying no, then you might have to consider calling the school yourself, calling the state and finding out your specific rights, and getting some legal advice.

SquarePeg
09-06-12, 07:33 AM
Get her tested, I put off pursing a diagnosis because I was being ignorant and thought ADHD equals ritalin no thank you. I have wasted 2 years of getting help for my son because of being a coward. Although he was very happy at school he was barely passing his exams and each year was harder, of course. I live in Spain and without getting an official diagnosis, teachers can only do so much to help. However, with an official diagnosis they are required by law to give him extra help, allow him to answer some exams orally, more time for tests etc. I should get the official paper before he starts the next school year and I really wish I had done it sooner. So please speak to your wife, your daughter is obviously unhappy at school and ignoring the problem won´t make it go away. I wish you luck.

ginniebean
09-06-12, 08:28 AM
I think your best bet is to educate yourself as much as possible. Your child is being affected at home, at school and socially. Damage is being done. It's worse to be labeled than it is to be friendless?

I feel ya when You have no power, but maybe a better argument might help.

Lunacie
09-06-12, 10:43 AM
I'm so old practically no one was getting the label of ADHD when I was in school.

The labels that stuck to me were lazy, stupid and crazy.

There's going to be some kind of a label if the symptoms are there.

It would be better to get a diagnosis and get some kind of treatment

(best seems to be meds + therapy) so she can handle the symptoms

AND the labels.

ginniebean
09-06-12, 11:19 AM
I'm so old practically no one was getting the label of ADHD when I was in school.

The labels that stuck to me were lazy, stupid and crazy.

There's going to be some kind of a label if the symptoms are there.

It would be better to get a diagnosis and get some kind of treatment

(best seems to be meds + therapy) so she can handle the symptoms

AND the labels.

:goodpost:

Can't believe I forgot this!

Lunacie
09-06-12, 12:01 PM
Can't believe I forgot this!

You and I have two excuses for forgeting things: age and ADHD.:umm1::lol:

openmind
09-06-12, 04:58 PM
Thank you all for you tips, they were very helpful. I've finally convinced her to read these forums (to understand me better) and she has decided to let us get her tested to find out what is the reason behind her behavior.