View Full Version : About Cooking .......

salleh
09-03-12, 03:19 PM
.......I thought I'd put this in the parenting area, cause I keep reading about parents who are trying to keep their kids eating healthy foods....and good for you ....

....I know about time, and how little everyone has these days ....and money, and it's tight right now, and a biggie is that lots of people don't kow how to cook ....

...Now this I think I can help a bit with ....

....There's a cookbook that has been around since the 30s or 40s ....The Joy of Cooking .....get it ....any edition will do....I learned to cook in 1969, so I probably had a '67 book .....

...I was 19, and had just literally conned nice lady who owned a piano bar on the coast highway in Southen California, into giving me a job cooking ........they had a lunch crowd and dinner crowd too, and it was in a pretty nice area , Corona del Mar, ....so people were picky ( well sort of it was 1969 after all) ......

...amoung other things I had to make a lunch special for about 10 to 12 people every day .....and the only cook book she had was the Joy .....

...I made it my very best friend and with literally no cooking experience except flipping burgers at a burger place on Balboa Island, I started right out putting out simple meals from day 3 ( the first 2 the leaving cook was training me to make certain things they always had, and we made our own 1,000 Island and Blue Cheese dressings, and potato salad ....

....Tha book taught me to cook and did it fast ....cause I worked for the lady for 11 1/2 months, until I moved up to Sonoma .....

....There's a chapter called Lunch, Brunch and Supper that is a massive source for quick and easy meals.....some from scratch some from left-overs .....and I had to multiply to get the right amount of food, most of the recipies are made for 4 people .....

...If you don't know how to cook, or you do, but like cookbooks ...get this one and just follow the easy recipies.....what I learned from that book I have used over and over for decades ....I hardly ever use a cookbok anymore, cause all these years cooking have given me the confidence to mix up any floavors I think might go together .....and they usually do ...( not always, any cook makes mistakes....just don't be afraid of the food ....)

.....this book will make your life easier .....I promise.....

Spacemaster
09-03-12, 04:13 PM
Even many "NTs" find cooking to be terrifying. I can't count how many times I've heard "Oh I just can't cook", but they really haven't been taught some basics.

I taught my cousin how to make a quesadilla. So very easy, and once she learned it, she was shocked at how simple and tasty it was. Her previous cooking experience being a can opener.

Lots of tasty dishes don't require too much more effort than heating something up.

stef
09-03-12, 04:29 PM
hmmm i should find my copy of that book!
someone gave me one when i moved here....

honestly it kind of intimidated me

use thé simpler recipes first I rhink
there was stuff about making sausages from scratch and turtle soup or something like that!

salleh
09-03-12, 04:48 PM
Ah ......Stef, you brought up something I had completely fogettoen about .....Joy of Cooking has stuff in it for every level of cooking .....so if you happen to hit pon something that is for the advanced cook, ...yikes it can be scary ....

but head to that lunch, brunch and supper chapter ......lots of ggodies there ...and the chapter on eggs ...same thing ...

good luck !

...by the time I was in my mid 20s, I was inviting my whole class from the art institute up to the Sonoma velley for the weekend .....and I did alll the cooking ....except for the barbeque .....it's not hard really ....I was also head "feast mistress" of all the valleys many pot luck parties .....

the first time i did that I figured that anarcy is all well and good, but if you don't give everyone a group of food to stay within...you end up with many deserts and 2 salads and 1 main dish ! .....and after that ...it was ...you bring a main dish, you bring a salad ...kind of thing .....

annnnd cooking meant I had something to do at parties rather than just talk .....much better for this unknown ADHDer....er I mean I was known ...I just didn't know I had ADHD at that time ....whew .....

Lunacie
09-03-12, 04:49 PM
My daughter was making scrambled eggs and sausage for lunch and muttering to herself

about being a "crap cook" but when she was done she was sorta bragging on herself

for making something so tasty. It was good. :D

She will try all kinds of things I've never thought of. Some I like, some I don't.

But she's inspired me in my crazy old age to be more adventurous in the kitchen myself. :yes:

Bierocks are pretty well known here in Kansas and Nebraska - a German and Russian traditional dish.

I looked online for recipes this morning and saw where someone used pita pocket bread

instead of hot yeast bread so I'm gonna try that for supper now that I know

I don't have to heat up the whole kitchen by baking them in the oven.