View Full Version : Getting a 6-year old to read...

teadrinker7
09-06-12, 08:51 AM
Dear all,
My 6-year old is really struggling with reading... it's NOT FUN... and he is only motivated when something is fun. I guess there are more kids like that out there, so I wanted to share this memo that is really good:
http://unusuallyordinarymum.wordpress.com/memo/
It pairs A with a, and he loves winning. So, now he's having fun whilst learning...
If you've got any more tips on how i should get him reading, please post!

Jynical
09-06-12, 09:18 AM
When my daughter was 6, she didn't want to read either. I asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up and she said "a singer". I explained that singers need to be able to read... and then I started writing down lyrics to her favorite songs... That got her interested.

My partner and I are gamers, and we played World of Warcraft for a long time... Willow was interested in that too... so she'd help us read quests. I like to tell people that gaming taught my kid to read.

We read to her all the time... and a few months ago (she's 9 now) she picked up "The Hobbit"...and read the whole thing. She only asked us a few times what words meant, or how to pronounce something.

It will happen. Your son will be reading before you know it. And... frankly... if it weren't for the school systems, kids don't really need to read until around 8-ish. It's a foreign concept, for sure. But the fact remains, with gentle guidance, kids will read when they're ready.

So, my advice after all that rambling is... find an interest, write about it... being interested in something goes a long way with our natural desire to learn. Read to him (I'm sure you already do), discuss what you've read... if he's interested, find more things similar to what you've read.

It'll happen, patience is hard, but don't force him... it'll happen.

Good luck, and happy reading!

Kasi
09-06-12, 02:06 PM
I was completely mad about reading. To the point I warned my teachers that I read too much. They never believed me then, but they certainly did by the end of the year!
I do recall that some things helped. My parents got me a little electronic dictionary, which probably helped more than a 'regular' dictionary. You might find that your kid has some 'unique' ideas of how a word should be spelled, and an electronic dictionary is occasionally much better at deciphering what you might mean.
If you watch movies or some TV, you could try putting captions or subtitles on. It's a way to associate words with how they sound and it might really help him to start to 'get' words and he'll possibly not even realize that's what he's doing. Also where an electronic dictionary might come in handy, he may have wanted to know a few words but been too embarrassed to ask or hesitant to interrupt to ask what things meant.
I'm branching off of what Jynical said, find something he's interested in and go with that! Also, a lot of things that kids are interested in, you can find a lot of fun facts about them in books or online. You can engage in his competitive and curious spirit if you occasionally 'hide' or put these hints randomly on the wall or in his lunches. Just an idea. Good luck!