View Full Version : Landscape Photos from my Glory Days

salleh
09-08-12, 09:09 AM
......I know I must have mentioned it somewhere ....that in my 20s I lived in the Sonoma Valley, about 50 miles north of San Francisco...:giggle:......anyway, ....I finally figured out how to get photos from one site to another .....Most of these photos no longer live in the "real" world, only in cyberspace ....except, I am glad to say ...my very first successful and probably my very best landscape photograph ......

......My teacher at this time was Jerry Burchard, and he kept telling me he wanted to see photos of the valley, and i would bring in photos of barns, and fences and he would patiently tell me .....noooo, that could be anywhere....I want to see the Sonoma Valley ! .....

....The day I finally got it and brought in this photo, he was out !

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/SonomaValleyALOngTimeAgo.png

.......and this shot is not only a photograph that is no more, but neither is the place ......It was known as Sears Point, and they built a race ( for cars) track there....right there, don't remember what it is called now, but if you hear about car racing in Sonoma, California, this is where it is .....

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/SearsPointbeforetheracetrack.png

......I love this shot ....I drove a 1964 old black Mercedes 190C....and the parking brake didn't work, and at that time, if I stopped the engine, it might land on a dead spot on the starter, and not start again ....so this shot was taken while the car was running, on a mountaintop, with me and my foot holding the brake, while I stretched out over the top of the car to get the photo .....at the bottom of the photo is the shiny black of the roof of the car ....

......Spanish Moss is weird stuff, in color, a grey green, and it'svery dry, not what you expect moss to be .....this shot was also taken with a film that is no more, Kodak 2475, developed for police surveilence work, it had a speed of 64to 6,400 ASA, and using a certain developing method, you got this great and huge grain ....

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/SpanishMosswithTrees.png

.......This beautiful old barn is on Hwy 12, the main artery running up the valley.....I made a ton of prints of this cause everyone wanted a copy !.....the barn is still there, as are the grape vines.....( everyone knows that Sonoma is famous for it's wine, right ?)

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/BarnonHwy12.png

Targaryen
09-08-12, 09:31 AM
WOW! those look great. Really like the contrast in the first one.

Jynical
09-08-12, 12:05 PM
Those are gorgeous! Do you still shoot?
My dream is to shoot storms... landscapes... anything but studio portraits. lol

...also, and unrelated... I used to live in Emeryville. lol

salleh
09-08-12, 01:59 PM
...Thanks..... I used to go to high school in Sierra Madre, and about 10 blocks or so past the school, there were no more houses, cause the San Gabriel mountians rose quickly and ruggedly, literally right there......

...and I spent my hich school days gazing out the window watching clouds make patterns on those mountains.....so what did I photograph when I started ? .....clouds forming patterns on mountains......

ginniebean
09-08-12, 02:04 PM
Salleh! Love them! Remarkable photos! That first one.. beyond beautiful!

danelady
09-08-12, 04:30 PM
Love them!! I have had to pick up a few times near Sonoma and I found a teeny tiny place to park the truck and me and Earl walked on a tiny road with huge trees and big old houses!

You have captured what was and is no more in that beautiful place!

Yeah,that Spanish moss is weird stuff,huh? lol!

DaveHawk
10-16-12, 09:03 AM
I love Black and white comp's Excellent!

salleh
10-16-12, 02:36 PM
I think I shall always love Black and White photography, .....color landscapes remind me a bit too much of calendar photography ....

and you really have to work, and know what the camera sees to get anything good in B &W ....you just can't point your camera at a pretty scene

It's all about the light .....

and weirdly, I find I can look at a B&W photo for years, and still love it ...but I tire of most color stuff very quickly....

the stuff I did was so much a part of the mystery and magic of hands on photography...I am lured in by the ease of digital photography I have to admit, ....

...But there was something wonderful about taking a roll of film and poutting in my darkbag, and rolling it onto the reels, by feel,....then popping those reels into the tanks and un zipping the bag.....

and the timing of the devloping process, I learned very quickly that if I didn't mark every 30 seconds I would lose count of the time ....and 15 seconds can make a difference there ....

and then ..ooooo off to my darkroom ....I had a whole room devoted ...made a redwood sink that ran the length of the room and my enlargers were on the other side of the room ....I put wheels on my stool so I could scoot back and forth more quickly ....

.....ah put the negative in the enlarger ...bend over and focus ....will it focus ...YES I got the focus right ...then ...how much time ? ..ok try this ....and expose the paper ....

scoot over to the developer tray ....swoosh the blank paper in the clear liquid...and waiting for the image to appear .....and slowly... magically.... the image starts to come up ....wait the 2 minutes to fully develope ..then into the stop bath ...and then the enternally too long minute in the fixer .....and now it's

turn on the light !

is it good ?

how close am I to the perfect print .???

refine, reset and perfect the next print ......

I could, and often did , stay in the darkroom for 10/12 hours ......

my teachers at the art institute were amoung the best photographers in the world ....I was living in one of the loveliest places in the world ...I was good and worked hard ....

it was a life that stays with me always ....no matter how far I roam ...and how many years it has been since I bent over an enlarger, focusing one of my images .....

I loved that life so much .....

julesjampot
10-16-12, 05:45 PM
Salleh. you are an inspiration to us all, you have lived a very vivid life full of beautiful things .
you are what alot of the young ones will not understand , a very free spirit,
we love you photos and you , much luv Jules

Drewbacca
10-17-12, 02:43 AM
I like B&W... but I LOVE B&W IR.

I'm thankful for digital cameras, as I never had the patience to deal with film. I could easily transition into film now that I understand exposure, but I can't imagine trying to learn from film and hours spent in the darkroom. You are truly an artist to be able to take such wonderful photos, and to have learned to do it the hard way.

I really like BarnonHwy12 btw.

aaron2
11-05-12, 05:17 AM
Wow..........Awesome:)
Great work!