View Full Version : Last of the Landscapes from my Glory Days

salleh
09-08-12, 01:55 PM
.....In answer to a couple of questions, yes I still shoot....using a digital camera, and I have even gone as far as to invest in a 35mm DSLR, a Pentax, same brand as I used to use when I shot film....and I haven't put them into B&W, so they are all color .....a vastly different feeling than the B&Ws I used to shoot.....

......You can't tell from these photos just how good those prints are...and they are very good indeed ....I was mostly taught by a guy named Pirkle Jones, who was a student of Ansel Adams.....Ansel would go and shootin Alaska, and send Pirkle the 8"by10"negative to develope ....which says volumes about how good Pirkle was......

....So I think of myself as Ansel Adams' granddaughter, photographically speaking ! .....Pirkle was a dear man and we were good friends.....after about 3 classes with him, he informed me that he and the class would be coming up to Sonoma to visit me for a weekend...luckily I was living in a big house out in the country in Kenwood at the time ...so they came up and a great time was had by all......

,.....I also traded Pirkle a handmade, hand embroidered ( the Tree of Life around the neckline) shirt for a photo he did of Alan Watts.....wish I still had it,....but at one point in my life I lost literally everything.....except what I had in my little Saturn....good ole ADD !.....

......One day coming home from school, I saw this cloud, and raced all the way up to Glen Ellen where I lived, grabbed my camera and raced back to the base of the valley, ( about 8 miles) and then chased this cloud all the way to Napa....this is the only shot left from a fabulous group of photos I took that day ....I couldn't miss, this was such a great cloud.......

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/CloudChasing-1.png

......Another day on the way home from school, by boyfriend had picked me up as my car wasn't working...( that old Mercedes I spoke of) and I was mad at him for some reason, and spent the journey home shooting out the window.....this shot is from a long stretch of straight road, which is lined with enormous Eucalyptus trees .....I liked the shot so much, I did an etching of it too ....

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/carshadow-1.png

.....Finally, there sits this exquistly pristine farm house on the road to Petaluma ...what makes this shot for me is those 2 mailboxes.....I did an etching of this too.....

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/sallyshoaf/HouseinPetaluma.png

....and that's all the landscape photos I have from my Sonoma days .....out of literally hundreds......

ginniebean
09-08-12, 02:06 PM
Amazing! Truly! The first and the last have just the most emotional quality that I can't even describe! Well done salleh!

salleh
09-08-12, 02:34 PM
Thanks dear Ginnie ......I loved that valley so much .....and once I got the hang of how to shoot landscapes....well I was unstoppable ....and frankly, I have never forgotten how to shoot them .....

I dearly love landscape photographs, and they aren't that easy to shoot until you figure out how ....I know that doesn't make a lot of sense .....but there it is .....

and much of that valley is still the same, more than 30 years later, unheard of for a California valley.....most of the land there has since been planted with more wine grape fields because the land is perfect for them ....it has escaped being overbuilt with housing developments.....it is only about an hour outside the city, and it would have been built to a fare-thee-well had it not been so suitable for grapes.....

danelady
09-08-12, 04:24 PM
Out of this world,Salleh! What a place to live and be into photography! You really have an eye for it! And a connection to Ansel Adams!! DANG!!

Have you ever seen O. Winston Link's prints? I love his work! Well,I love trains and he captures those steam locomotives so well you can hear the clang and the roar of the engines by just looking at the photos!!