View Full Version : Eating more on Ritalin

yellowflowers
09-10-12, 03:50 PM
Hi :)

I want to ask about ritalins effect on appetite, everywhere says it suppresses it, this is not what I'm finding.

It has changed the nature of my appetite, I feel now a real 'body' hunger, rumbling stomache and all that. This used to be rare for me, I've struggled with food for so long I guess I kind of messed up my body signals.

Compared to how things used to be in my teens and early 20s my am in so much better place eating disorder wise (its taken a LOT of work). But the range of food I let myself eat (like variety) is pretty limited compared to the norm, and still feel guilt when I eat, and go over a certain amount and I'm tormenting myself over it.

My body is like shouting at me to give it more food, and I guess, I don't know what to thing? I want to do the healthy thing, and I'm not sure if its 'genuine' hunger or not? (if that makes sense). Do I suddenly need more food? Not if ritalin doesn't speed up metabolism then I don't actually need more food? (as I maintain my body weight pretty evenly for long time now). I asked the psych about metabolism and he said it doesn't.

I'm I supposed wondering how to deal with this, I am eating more, but beating myself up over it, because it feels too much.... I'm willing to gain if it means finally finding something that helps (ritalin), but I'm asking if other people have found this, how they dealt with it, and did the eat more and more and gain a lot?

Because I feel I'm eating too much the idea does pop into my head to vomit, if this makes sense to people who have experienced bulimia out there - its like it triggers that feeling - like I've started a binge or something by allowing myself eat 'too much' and want to purge.

Its not too bad, its just a thorught, and I haven't acted on it. But I will FIGHT not to return to anorexia or bulimia. Its NOT happening. I WANT A LIFE AND HEALTH and I deserve better than to live like that.

Twiggy
09-10-12, 04:07 PM
I think it's because it's absorbed though the stomach. I also felt more hungry when I used to take Ritalin.

yellowflowers
09-11-12, 06:19 AM
Thanks for replying Twiggy, it's confusing, my stomach is at it again now, rumble rumble, have 10mg in my system for just ovar 2 hours now, so it can't be a rebound hunger then, can it? I ate my normal breakfast (actually a bit more) and hear I am hungry!

tipoo
09-11-12, 08:09 AM
This is only a vague idea I have and I don't have any science supporting it, but I noticed that my digestion changed on ritalin too. I was always notable in how little...erm...Flatuence I produced, yet on ritalin it's more on the level of your average person. I think these medications might change something about the way we process food. Or a simpler explanation, it is a stimulant after all, which means you use more energy while on it, which means your body will try to get you to eat more to maintain homeostasis.

yellowflowers
09-11-12, 12:16 PM
Thanks Tippo :)

Yeh there are other changes for my in that department too - like pooping everyday, thats very strange for me!

The only way of knowing if this is an appetite I should be responding too might be to weigh myself over time, but I don't own a scale ( so can't obsess about it, big step in recovery for me :)).

Its all a bit strange

X

jspet
10-02-12, 08:54 PM
Had the major munchies on the Ritain derivative Focalin, switched to Vyvance, no problems.