View Full Version : Aspergers and adhd co-morbid?

belonging
09-11-12, 02:48 AM
There seems to be lot on the internet about these two going together but am I right in my understanding that Aspergers is a consequence of too much dopamine and that ADHD is because of too little? If that's true, how does that work ? The more I read about these subjects, the more I'm getting confused and a bit frustrated because I can't find out the answer quickly enough and I should be getting ready for work instead of doing this!:(

fracturedstory
09-16-12, 05:26 AM
Er, I think you're confusing Asperger's with schizophrenia. There's far more going on in AS than a chemical imbalance. Whole areas of the brain have developed differently.

It's different for ADHD too. I think it's dopamine being quickly absorbed and not regulated... I don't know about that. Others here will know more.

There's no medication that can treat autism symptoms (some have the effects of lessening one or two symptoms) so there's definitely more than too much dopamine otherwise a drug would be made for it now. Scientists are trying to create a pill that targets specific genes but that's for Rhett's syndrome, a regressive form of autism.

Many frontal lobe disorders have similar symptoms and autism and ADHD share the same genes. So you can have both. I do. The same areas of the brain are affected so the symptoms can overlap, or like me you have enough symptoms of both disorders for both diagnosis's.

There are differences in behaviour of autism and ADHD too. It looks the same but the causes are different.
People with autism don't have problems focusing like ADHD. They just have very narrow interests and care only about them. They also have sensory issues which bring about behaviour that looks like ADHD hyperactivity.

Someone will probably tell me I'm generalising though. I just haven't got the mental ability to elaborate and add my 200ft long disclaimer I leave for people who usually jump to such conclusions.

belonging
09-16-12, 03:35 PM
quote fracturedstory Er, I think you're confusing Asperger's with schizophrenia. There's far more going on in AS than a chemical imbalance. Whole areas of the brain have developed differently.

Not so much confusing the two but, yes, I am confused about the various views on the primary causes - e.g. psychiatrist blog
http://shirahvollmermd.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/weak-ties/

It's different for ADHD too. I think it's dopamine being quickly absorbed and not regulated... I don't know about that. Others here will know more.

I didn't know that.

There's no medication that can treat autism symptoms (some have the effects of lessening one or two symptoms) so there's definitely more than too much dopamine otherwise a drug would be made for it now.

Good point

There are differences in behaviour of autism and ADHD too. It looks the same but the causes are different. People with autism don't have problems focusing like ADHD. They just have very narrow interests and care only about them. They also have sensory issues which bring about behaviour that looks like ADHD hyperactivity.

I have issues with depression when I have nothing to focus upon but can get overwhelmed when there is just way too much interference. Sensory issues such as noise, touch, temperature, air quality (e.g. humidity)

Someone will probably tell me I'm generalising though. I just haven't got the mental ability to elaborate and add my 200ft long disclaimer I leave for people who usually jump to such conclusions.[/quote]

I appreciate your response and I'm going to read a lot more before I even consider taking medication (I've survived this long I guess without it... just would be nice to get some peace!)