View Full Version : Not DID, but Having Other Personalities

mad83
09-11-12, 05:01 PM
I was watching a few documentaries about abuse and DID online and I started thinking.

I have other "personas", but I'm conscious when they are out. I actually created them myself and they are a coping mechanism for what has gone on in my life.

Does anyone else have this?

amberwillow
09-11-12, 07:33 PM
I was aware of 5 distinct personalities for a period of my adult life which I had created to help me cope. I compartmentalized myself.

I don't see them much these days, since my other coping tools render them unnecessary.

I had a lot to deal with, growing up... I did what worked.

Ironically Amber is one of them.

Abi
09-11-12, 07:37 PM
These are really "masks".

It's something that seems to develop naturally in our culture. Which suggests to me that there is something unhealthy about our culture.

Abi
09-11-12, 07:38 PM
Oh, and some may say I have a different personality when I am hypomanic, vs the rest of the time... maybe.

amberwillow
09-11-12, 08:07 PM
These are really "masks".

It's something that seems to develop naturally in our culture. Which suggests to me that there is something unhealthy about our culture.

When you say 'masks' I'm not sure that we talking about the same thing.
I had shoved most of some aspect of my personality into one 'other', so that I could function better in day to day life.

For example: pain.

Things don't stay shoved unfortunately. Or, fortunately, depending on how you look at it.
I've since uncaged my pain and let it go.

mad83
09-12-12, 12:26 PM
I'm a business woman until 1 or 2pm, then I'm Luna, the catgirl who needs to get the house cleaned before her human gets home so I can get head scratches =^-^=

Works WONDERS!

Kasi
09-12-12, 02:34 PM
I do the same thing all the time. I have different 'personas' for different things. I cannot do public speaking, but I have a persona who can. Or when I need to have something done and efficiently, I have another. So on and so forth. It was probably why I did so well in acting classes. I think it's how some of us cope with having 'too much' in our heads. We can delegate them to certain times or places.

Sazzums
10-10-12, 01:36 AM
I've got a different personality, which I am aware of and can bring her out and put her away as I choose.
Her name is tammi, and I created her myself, when I was a working girl.
Tammi is confident, she's friendly, she's almost always happy, and she is fun to be around. I don't like bringing her out often though, because she isn't me, and I don't want to be someone else, plus, I think tammi can be a little over confident sometimes, which leads her to being full of herself. Not nice.

...is that weird? Like, I know it's a person ive created myself, yet whenever tammi is mentioned, it's always like I'm talking about another person, not just another personality.