View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Klonopin?

gatorADDe
09-13-12, 12:28 AM
After trial and error with a few antidepressants for daily anxiety, I guess my psych nurse decided it was time to stop screwing around with SSRI's, which I personally believe are crappy meds (for me anyway), and start taking Klonopin 0.5mg a night. As I understand, this is a fairly low dose. She recommended it at night to help with sleep, and because it has a long half-life should provide relief throughout the next day as well.

I take it around 10:00pm, start feeling sleepy around 12am. It seems to work okay. I've been taking it for a week and it's helped my daily anxiety and stress a lot. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't seem all that "sedating" to me. The MAIN reason i'm taking it is for insomnia. I've taken Ambien 10mg for the past year and it stopped working. Worked like a charm though until then, though. She tried switching me to trazodone 50-100mg but I was sooo groggy in the morning after taking it.

I think her mentality is that if she treats my anxiety then my insomnia should go away. That's why she wanted to stay away from prescribing another hypnotic. She said the problem with hypnotics is that they only work for so long then stop.

So far, the Klonopin 0.5mg is just ehh for sleep. I could tell right away that ambien worked when I started it at 10mg. It put me out like a light. Klonopin just makes me feel chill, not so much in a sedating way though.

Maybe the dose isn't high enough? I don't know a whole lot about klonopin so I'd like to hear your experiences.

psilocybe27
09-14-12, 05:41 PM
i find klonopin is one of the weaker benzo's, 1mg at least for sleep, but .5 should be very helpful for keeping away your anxiety and possibly promoting sleep.
Warning though, tolerance raises quickly with benzo's.
But maybe a another, such as xanax would be better for you than klonopin.

Nate W
09-21-12, 07:42 PM
I do. I've used it very sparingly for anexiety attacks due to tinnitus. It works wonderfully for that. If you can't sleeep due to being anxious, its a good med. 1.0 MG is the standard dose for anexiety management, but half an MG/day worked for me. Its a potent, long-acting benzodiazepene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonazepam

I've researched this drug very thuroughly due to my recovery from alcoholisim. It is safe if you keep the dose low and use it as infrequently as possible. Use it no more than a month at a time and keep it under 1.0 mg/day (this is my opinion for anyone, other opinions very widely--I had the prescribing psychiatrist tell me I could stay on it for my entire life). You build a tolerance quickly.

I suggest you do a little research too. Not trying to scare you, but you should have all views and information before deciding whether to take, and if so, when and how much clonazepam. Google on "clonazepam withdrawal" and you will read posts from those who did not research this medication. Painful posts to read.

But clonazepam can be a godsend if used appropriately and with the due respect it deserves. Don't just use it "to unwind everyday", if you do, you are headed for trouble.

One last thing: When stopping use, if more than a few days, you need to slowly reduce the dose to prevent uncomfortable (for low-dose, short-term use) or life-threatening (higher-dose, long-term use) withdrawal. Recommended dose reduction schedule is 0.125 (or 1/8) mg drop in dose every 3-5 days.

--Nate

sarahsweets
09-22-12, 07:53 AM
For me personally, Klonopin turned me into a drooling stumbling mess.

PitbullyGirly
10-15-12, 11:53 PM
In my opinion .05 klonopin does nothing. I used to take 1mg 3x a day then 2mg at bedtime. Ive seen many different docs thats the dose they always put me on. I don't see how a .05 is supposed to last all night and into the next day for you?... they only last like 2-3 hours. Sounds like you've got a real quack doctor.

On another note. I stopped klonopin cold turkey after I was on that dose for years. The withdrawel was the worst thing I've ever gone through. I was on the floor for 3 weeks curled up in a ball crying with major jumping cramping legs I wanted to die! I haven't taken klonopin in over a year and I STILL DON'T SLEEP.

tambourine-man
10-26-12, 07:05 PM
Klonopin for sleep? I take 3mgs a day and it doesn't make me sleepy at all. Neither, however, does Ambien, aside from one particular generic brand of ambien CR. Weird huh?

lala1187
10-26-12, 08:28 PM
I am prescribed Klonopin, 1 mg x4 everyday. It is the ONLY benzo that can calm me down when I am extremely upset and anxious. It works great for me. I also take xanax, as needed, .5mg, and it's ok. It's faster acting, but really doesn't have the calming effect on me that the Klonopin does. I have also taken Valium, and it does nothing for me. I've taken Ativan, and again, no help at all.

I don't take all I'm prescribed everyday, because some days I just don't need it. So far, it has been a lifesaver for me.

SnareDrumzZz
10-27-12, 06:47 PM
I have horrible responses from generic Mylan Klonopin and Klonopin in general. For me it worked Great for a month or a few Weeks. Then------it just got manic and depressing so I told myself this one clearly is not for me. I Never got a weird dirty feeling from the Brand Name Klonopin with the K cut though. I had those and they were well worth it. With all this being said Klonopin works for soke and others not. Diazepam and Temazepam is a great combination. Some cant get anything out of it but I will tell you.....Diazepam will last in your system. It may not be the best anxiety medication but it works for me. Right now Alprazolam works well--But I would like a sleep aid benzo like I had been on before. Not because I want an obnoxious amount of benzodiazepines but because two benzos works best for some. Honestly Temazepam was a ***** to ct for me after 6mnths. I had Diazepam,lorazepam,and clonazepam though just incase. All prescribed prior. If you need instant relief---Xanax,Ativan,and Diazepam are good choices. For instant anxiety relief for sleep Temazepam is a lot better than Clonazepam....for a SLEEP ISSUE

SnareDrumzZz
10-27-12, 06:54 PM
Klonopin for sleep? I take 3mgs a day and it doesn't make me sleepy at all. Neither, however, does Ambien, aside from one particular generic brand of ambien CR. Weird huh?
This is exactly what I am thinking.....Klonopin is for GAD/Depression not sleep. I will say Benzodiazepine Naive people will get sedated from Klonopin but uhh..idk Klonopin takes too long to kick in full effect.

tambourine-man
10-29-12, 05:31 PM
This is exactly what I am thinking.....Klonopin is for GAD/Depression not sleep. I will say Benzodiazepine Naive people will get sedated from Klonopin but uhh..idk Klonopin takes too long to kick in full effect.

It seems everyone has forgotten about the hypnotic benzodiazepines, those that are meant to be used as sleeping pills are actually NOT prescribed for anxiety. These include Restoril, Dalmane, ProSom, and Doral.

Restoril is the only one which really gets much attention, and even it stands out only because the other are so rarely prescribed. They have all be replaced by these wonderful "non-habit forming" z-drugs.

Ambien, Sonata, Lunesta, etc... may lack a benzene ring but they bind to the same benzodiazepine receptors within the brain that Valium, Xanax, and all the rest do. Methadone and Fentanyl are not technically opiods in the same way z-drugs are not technically benzodiazepines, but everyone knows Methadone and Fentanyl are so indistinguishable from opiates and opiods that they deserve a place in the family.

The only reason z-drugs are not classified as benzodiazepines is because this leads people (doctors included) to believe they will not lead to dependency or addiction.

There's nothing that makes Dalmane more dangerous than Ambien.

But, back to my original point, Klonopin is so frequently prescribed for GAD because it has a nice long half-life and is not a hypnotic. You don't treat anxiety by going to sleep.

tambourine-man
10-29-12, 05:35 PM
I have horrible responses from generic Mylan Klonopin and Klonopin in general. For me it worked Great for a month or a few Weeks. Then------it just got manic and depressing so I told myself this one clearly is not for me. I Never got a weird dirty feeling from the Brand Name Klonopin with the K cut though. I had those and they were well worth it. With all this being said Klonopin works for soke and others not. Diazepam and Temazepam is a great combination. Some cant get anything out of it but I will tell you.....Diazepam will last in your system. It may not be the best anxiety medication but it works for me. Right now Alprazolam works well--But I would like a sleep aid benzo like I had been on before. Not because I want an obnoxious amount of benzodiazepines but because two benzos works best for some. Honestly Temazepam was a ***** to ct for me after 6mnths. I had Diazepam,lorazepam,and clonazepam though just incase. All prescribed prior. If you need instant relief---Xanax,Ativan,and Diazepam are good choices. For instant anxiety relief for sleep Temazepam is a lot better than Clonazepam....for a SLEEP ISSUE

Temazepam feels TOO good for me. This leads to some problems, like waking up wondering who made french toast in the middle of the night and if they were the same person who stole nine of my sleeping pills.

425runner
11-04-12, 09:38 PM
I'm prescribed 0.5mg twice a day but only take 0.25mg-0.5mg/day. It doesn't do squat for helping me sleep though...I take Bacopa extract, 2-3 capsules of lemon balm and 400mg l-theanine at night.

0.5mg is a very low dose, just enough to take the edge off things..I don't want to take more because it makes me tired and I'd rather be happy/hyper then calm/sedated

known_guy
11-12-12, 02:06 AM
Klonopin definitely helped me with severe general(ized) and social anxiety, at 0.5mg TID, and though I once was prescribed it for insomnia by a different doctor, I found I needed to take a comparatively ridiculous dose, like 1.5mg, to get any insomnia-relief. Other benzodiazepines like Restoril or Dormicum/Versed are more effective sleep aids.

gatorADDe
11-19-12, 05:03 PM
So i've been taking klonopin for about 3 months now. At 0.75mg it works pretty consistently. I take it at 9:30pm. Seems to take awhile to kick in. It does help me fall asleep. But overall, the quality of my sleep has seemed to decrease. I wake up feeling totally unrefreshed. Although this is not surprising as I've read benzodiazepines interfere with your sleep architecture. I'm thinking of trying something else out soon.

known_guy
11-26-12, 09:04 PM
Doses of 0.5mg - 1.0mg aren't any cause for concern; it's when the dose starts jacking up that one should start to worry. Given your [quite reasonable/understandable] cause for concern regarding sleep architecture, maybe trying something else isn't a bad idea. I have heard of and/or tried options such as Seroquel, Atarax/Vistaril, Trazodone, Doxepin. I'm sure there are others.

Altair
11-27-12, 01:57 AM
Restoril is weak it takes 2 hours to even kick in. I like Klonopin the best. I always take brand name drugs since i have no copay on any drugs. I have taken 8 restorils and it felt great. Its a shame they make such low doses.

known_guy
12-05-12, 10:58 PM
8 Restoril!? What dose are you prescribed?

Because I am prescribed 15mg capsules and generally take two of them (so 30mg total).

theloner
01-23-13, 08:06 AM
I've been taking Klonopin for over 10 yrs, sometimes I may need 1/2 of one if I am over anxious during the day.

I take one at bedtime, it affects me the same way it always has

medicatedchev
01-29-13, 12:05 AM
So i've been taking klonopin for about 3 months now. At 0.75mg it works pretty consistently. I take it at 9:30pm. Seems to take awhile to kick in. It does help me fall asleep. But overall, the quality of my sleep has seemed to decrease. I wake up feeling totally unrefreshed. Although this is not surprising as I've read benzodiazepines interfere with your sleep architecture. I'm thinking of trying something else out soon.

You wake up feeling groggy, or like you didn't sleep well because clonazepam can interfere with the REM sleep cycle. I'm not sure how it does this, but I know that it does. Also, it lasts a long time so that may contribute to not feeling refreshed as well. I've been on klonopin for years. It's a lifesaver drug for anxiety disorders, and can be taken for sleep but I'd much prefer a shorter acting, quicker acting, and more hypnotic benzo for sleep, such as Ativan, Temazepam or Estazolam. Personally I take Ambien, because I'm trying to come off benzos and it does the trick for me.

Your doctor wants to treat both your conditions with one med, probably to protect himself and partially because he figures that the klonopin is sedating enough to manage both. You need to be assertive with him and tell him it's not working. It would make more sense to take the kpin in the morning for GAD and take something else like Ambien or Ativan at night.

MellyFishButt
01-29-13, 12:19 AM
I could never find a Klon dose that worked right. My doc gave my .5s and that would knock me out. 1/2 and I was drooling but still upright. 1/4 and I was still completely anxious - like a sugar pill. We moved me to valium and it's been alright since. I also have a stash of Xannies just in case I freak out somewhere far from home.

I'm curious that they wouldn't find a more long-term approach instead of giving you benzos long-term. What did you try for ADs? I have pretty bad anxiety and found 5mg of Lexapro was perfect to take the edge off without side effects. Such a small does and it's perfect for me.

VOltaire
01-29-13, 01:05 AM
A word of advice from someone who has in depth knowledge and usage of every benzo from xanax, librium,klonopin,halcion, Temazepam, diazepam, versed, even old school chloral hydrate and Barbituates like Seconal, Tuinal, and phenobarital. Do yourself a huge favor!!! Stay away from these medications at all costs!!! They are very easy to become medically dependant on even after a few months and withdrawal is a motherfu#&king b€#tch!!! Grandmal seizures, delirium, tachacarrdia, months of sleep deprivation, you get the point!!!
Lady benzo will be the greatest relaxation and comfort you have ever felt but the moment you leave her she will take away your soul!!!
Benzo withdrawal will make a heroin/alcohol detox look like a day at Disneyland!!

MellyFishButt
01-29-13, 01:39 AM
A word of advice from someone who has in depth knowledge and usage of every benzo from xanax, librium,klonopin,halcion, Temazepam, diazepam, versed, even old school chloral hydrate and Barbituates like Seconal, Tuinal, and phenobarital. Do yourself a huge favor!!! Stay away from these medications at all costs!!! They are very easy to become medically dependant on even after a few months and withdrawal is a motherfu#&king b€#tch!!! Grandmal seizures, delirium, tachacarrdia, months of sleep deprivation, you get the point!!!
Lady benzo will be the greatest relaxation and comfort you have ever felt but the moment you leave her she will take away your soul!!!
Benzo withdrawal will make a heroin/alcohol detox look like a day at Disneyland!!

How come this med bores me to tears? I truly don't get the hype. It just shuts my brain completely off and I hate that. Oddly, I used to love to drink. But I am prone to addiction and Benzos do exactly nil for me for fun. I feel cheated! In fact I took a V about an hour ago and I think I am headed for bed. Meh. Now opiates.....come to mama!

VOltaire
01-29-13, 01:51 AM
How come this med bores me to tears? I truly don't get the hype. It just shuts my brain completely off and I hate that. Oddly, I used to love to drink. But I am prone to addiction and Benzos do exactly nil for me for fun. I feel cheated! In fact I took a V about an hour ago and I think I am headed for bed. Meh. Now opiates.....come to mama!

If you take anything seriously that I have posted then heed my warning!!!!!! If you absolutely must take a benzo take the lowest dosage possible and as sparingly as can be, if you think I am joking go on youtube and type in benzo withdrawal and see some of these people flopping around like fish and uncontrollable muscle spasms.

sarahsweets
01-29-13, 05:19 AM
There are many people who have successfully taken benzos for years with no issue with dependency.

MellyFishButt
01-29-13, 10:42 AM
If you take anything seriously that I have posted then heed my warning!!!!!! If you absolutely must take a benzo take the lowest dosage possible and as sparingly as can be, if you think I am joking go on youtube and type in benzo withdrawal and see some of these people flopping around like fish and uncontrollable muscle spasms.

Dude you don't have to worry about ME. I'm saying they aren't fun so I don't do them often. I got you.

medicatedchev
01-29-13, 04:55 PM
Be glad that they're not fun for you, and treat them with respect nevertheless. Even if your doctor tells you take Valium everyday, then don't, unless you need it. Don't risk a dependency for something you don't need, especially if you don't get any kicks out of it and the w/d is so unpleasant. I heard about this guy that got prescribed to Valium for a toothache in the 1960's before it was well accepted that tranquilizers don't do much for pain and are addictive. Well, he ended up becoming addicted to it and remaining on the Valium for 20 years after his toothache resolved. He then proceeded to sue the doctor for malpractice. This is a good example of the lethality of ignorance. This guy did not know anything about the drug he was given, took it as prescribed, became dependent, and the story ends with a law suit.

Nate W
03-01-13, 04:40 PM
I was prescribed clonazepam (1.25 mg/day) several years ago for crippling anexiety caused by tinnitus (permanent ringing in the ears from noise damage). It (the tinnitus) put me in the psych ward for the weekend due to the anexiety that prevented ANY sleep for 30 days. That was the only time in my life I ever contemplated ending it all. The clonazepam was a life saver. No other meds were prescribed (I was not on ADHD meds at the time).

During a month later follow-up visit with the psychiatrist, he told me I could remain on clonazepam "indefinitely", no problems. I asked him if I could wean off of it and he said, "I strongly do not recommend that." Well, within a couple of weeks after that I weaned myself off of it because research indicated otherwise. Glad I did. I also acclimated to the tinnitus, so the anexiety was gone too.

About a year ago the anexiety crept up again for a couple of weeks and I got another Rx (this time from my ADHD P-doc) for 150 of the .5s (mg) and I took about 10 of them over those two weeks and now the anexiety is completely gone, but I take half of one (a quarter mg) every three days or so due to the insomnia I get from the dextroamphetamine I take daily. I take 30 mg a day, but it gives me insomnia often. The 0.25 mg of clonazepam is basically ineffective now, but I feel pretty crappy, like others report, the next day. I'm afraid to go higher in dose or frequency. I'm an alcoholic, in recovery and sober almost 8 years and I vividly remember that hell of coming off of alcohol without detox. Never had a seizure, but it sucked, as did the obsession to drink!

--Nate

Raye
03-04-13, 05:49 AM
yes....lol