View Full Version : "How Self-Talk Raises and Lowers Our Stress Levels" (Part 1 of 2) Article

Unmanagable
09-15-12, 05:11 PM
Part two isn't avaialble yet, or at least I couldn't find it if it is. :scratch:

This article really resonates with me because I constantly struggle with negative self-talk.

It can make or break a day way too easily, and I would love to get better at recognizing it, and redirecting it, before it reaches a toxic level.

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/relationships/2012/09/how-self-talk-raises-and-lowers-our-stress-levels-1-of-2/#more-14452

Drewbacca
09-15-12, 08:24 PM
Have you read Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by David D. Burns?

Unmanagable
09-15-12, 09:07 PM
Have you read Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by David D. Burns?

No, but thanks for mentioning it. :) I'll check it out.

Unmanagable
09-16-12, 09:13 PM
I'm impressed with all of the positive feedback on the book. Our local library has it, too. Bonus!

PookDo
09-23-12, 07:15 PM
self talk? affirmations?

Dizfriz
09-24-12, 08:35 AM
Unmanagable

Absolutely, self talk is, in my mind, critical to how an individual functions in areas such as depression, anxiety, and a number of others. It is the basis for all the various cognitive therapies

It is a skill, make no doubt about it. I personally believe that being able to control, at least to some degree, one's self talk is a key factor in effective functioning.

I love it, teach it, and use it all the time. I don't know how I would have made it without developing some effective skills in this.

Again, and I cannot stress it enough, it is a skill that must be practiced at all times and as a skill, can be learned.

As an aside, I am familiar with, the owner of the site, John Grohol's work in the past but have not read him much lately. His work was always very good and I see nothing here to change this opinion.

Thanks for bring this up.

Dizfriz