View Full Version : ADHD child and school not admitting there is a problem

joice25
09-19-12, 06:25 AM
Anyone in the UK had problems with school filling in the Connors forms completely different to yourself even though they have stated to your face that there is problems, but on paper they have not admitted to anything which has resulting at this moment in time as my son having "mild tendencies" of ADHD due to the teacher not stating the truth. If so how has anyone overcome this. Surely teachers cant get away with this as i had a few "problems" with the teacher and i feel she's done this on purpose which has resulted in her "duty of care" failing my son. If i take this up with the school i know i wont really get anywhere. I'm currently looking for evidence to will prove shes contradicted herself but just wondered how others dealt with this

Many thanks

SquarePeg
09-19-12, 08:32 AM
Hi, how can you be so sure that you won´t get anywhere? I would first take it up with the head of year or the head and see what they have to say.

joice25
09-19-12, 09:35 AM
I've had lots of problems with the school trying to get them to listen as he has learning difficulties as he also had epilepsy. It's like fighting a losing battle. It's the type of school that don't want kids in who pull down their "excellent" grades

JenE
09-19-12, 09:39 AM
We had a similar experience with our son in Kindergarten. His teacher indicated he was having difficulties that were atypical compared to the rest of the class. In the US, the teachers aren't supposed to say they think your child is ADHD. They are allowed to participate in the surveys tho.

When we did them for DS, the teachers also came back with basically borderline results while the surveys my husband and I did plainly showed ADHD. The doctor said that was pretty typical and a lot of time the diagnosis is more based on the parents' evaluations.

I think it may be that in the classroom they still have a more structured environment than at home which may lend itself to better control for the child at school even tho they are not "in control".

I should also add that the dr did NOT diagnose him at that age (5-6yrs old) due to him being so young although we did get a diagnosis in between 1st and 2nd grade. Oddly enough, his 1st grade teacher was surprised when I told her saying she hadn't seen any ADHD indicators.

That's just our experience but I don't know how the doctor's look at these things in the UK. Did you do an evaluation also?

joice25
09-19-12, 10:00 AM
Yeah that's exactly what's happened the schools is borderline and mine is def ADHD but for some reason they're taking the teachers form more over mine hence it's currently sitting at borderline. They r going to asses him in school but your always worried on that he has a good day plus he's got a new teacher now who seems to know exactly how to make my son achieve and he seems to b building a really good bond with him which is great but all the other signs r still clear at home.

To the first post. I've had many problems with the school not listening. He also had epilepsy and learning difficulties as well and it's the kind of school that doesn't want to accept that not all the kids can achieve what they expect them too so at the minute approaching the school is not the first option I want to take but appreciate it may come to that. I always feel its me against the school and they think blaming them for him not achieving which isn't the case at all. I only try and get the best help for him like any parent does but sometimes school don't always appreciate the help or don't like being told your son is struggling and needs extra help

zette93
09-20-12, 03:06 AM
The Wrightslaw book in my sig covers the law in the US, but there are some chapters on how to document difficulties and build a case that might be helpful to you in pursing help.

joice25
09-20-12, 04:04 AM
Thank your for that I'll look into those books. I'm going to build up evidence to prove the teacher has contradicted herself. She's said one thing to my face and a completely different thing on the form. So frustrating that one person who knew my son less than a year and had no rapport with him anyway, can make comments to hinder getting help. It's madness. Thanks again

Chicky monkey
11-15-12, 11:23 PM
We had a similar experience with our son in Kindergarten. His teacher indicated he was having difficulties that were atypical compared to the rest of the class. In the US, the teachers aren't supposed to say they think your child is ADHD. They are allowed to participate in the surveys tho.

When we did them for DS, the teachers also came back with basically borderline results while the surveys my husband and I did plainly showed ADHD. The doctor said that was pretty typical and a lot of time the diagnosis is more based on the parents' evaluations.

I think it may be that in the classroom they still have a more structured environment than at home which may lend itself to better control for the child at school even tho they are not "in control".

I should also add that the dr did NOT diagnose him at that age (5-6yrs old) due to him being so young although we did get a diagnosis in between 1st and 2nd grade. Oddly enough, his 1st grade teacher was surprised when I told her saying she hadn't seen any ADHD indicators.

That's just our experience but I don't know how the doctor's look at these things in the UK. Did you do an evaluation also?

I realize this is an old thread, but I was still hoping to chime in.

This is exactly what happened to us.

I knew we had been having issues with our daughter for several years at home, but I was shocked when I observed her in the classroom in 1st grade. I help out once a week in the class with the homework folders and what I saw stunned me. My daughter was completely not engaged or participating in the lessons AT ALL.

I spoke to her teacher immediately after the class, who said "yeah, I have been meaning to talk to you about that." I sat in the class an observed her the next day for over an hour. She did the same behavior as before for the entire time. I have no idea how she's learning anything! In addition, I watched her making repetitive movements like head shaking, bouncing and tapping. The teacher told me "and this was a good day for her."

We met with the teacher and the principal to discuss it and they were very helpful initially (my daughter does attend a private school).

But when we decided to have her evaluated, the teacher changed her tune for a reason I still can't figure out. This school, being private, does not have to provide special accommodations for our daughter via an IEP, etc.

The teacher filled out the survey and the rating came back "average" ie no ADHD. WHAT? I was shocked! I have a video tape of her class performing a song at a care home and my daughter is looking around, not singing! Our own survey for her came back with moderate to severe for attention and moderate for impulsivity and the TOVA confirmed this (I know there is doubt about the TOVA, for us it was just another tool). Still, they diagnosed her with ADHD, although they chose "mild". I believe this diagnosis to be wrong based on what I know and see at home and in the classroom and we're pursuing options on what we feel is her correct diagnosis which is moderate combined ADHD, at risk for severe in attention.

And now, the teacher has become far less helpful in communicating to us how she's doing. My response? I sit in the classroom at least once a week and observe for myself and take actions based on what I see, not on what she tells me.

Her teacher's lack of acknowledgement of a problem was one of the reasons we decided to use medication. Without the teacher helping out with behavior modification, she was basically getting no help 6 hours a day in the environment that she needs the most focus. The teacher's justification is "she's satisfactory in all subjects right now, and I will get her to pass 1st grade." Really? Pass 1st grade? I have 11 more years of school to get her through!

Without the medication, we would need everyone 100% on board and that's not going to happen for us.