View Full Version : benzodiazapine with least cognative impairment and shortest duration

Mountainman1126
09-19-12, 05:52 PM
i've been recently prescribed wellbutrin and i've found that sometimes, especialy at night, i become overstimulated and need something to bring me down. i've had previous experience with vallium and it was awful. very long acting, sedating, and detramental to my cognative function. i was interested in what would be the best benzodiazapine with the least sedation, shorter duraction, so as to not be still sedated the next day, as with the vallium, and one that would provide the least amound of cognative impairement. i am leaning more towards low dose ativan but was wondering other peoples experiences and knowledge in this matter. thanks

425runner
09-19-12, 08:43 PM
Xanax is short-acting but can cause rebound anxiety. Works quickly and perfect for winding down at night. I take 0.5mg Klonopin for the same reason you mentioned. I've tried just theanine, lemon balm, ashwagandha, high dose of Magnesium but not as effective...

Abi
09-19-12, 09:07 PM
Oxezapam [Serax] wins on mildness and performs decently in terms of being quickly effective and having a short half life.

Lorezepam [Ativan] is a stronger benzo but does not cause significant cognitive impairment. It takes effect quickly; however, has a somewhat longer half life.

Alprozelam [Xanax] is fast acting and has a short half life, however it is most likely to cause some cognitive impairment for a period of time.

You should not take Wellbutrin IR less than 4 hours before bedtime. 8 hours for SR and 12 for XL.

I would lean towards Ativan as a first choice. 0.5 mg in the morning and 1 mg about 1/2 hour before bed should do it.

Altair
11-26-12, 01:03 AM
Tranxene or Clorazepate-Dipotassium It has a mild effect but a long half life which is not anyhow active after 4 hours.

known_guy
11-26-12, 08:56 PM
Though Xanax is one of the shortest-acting benzodiazepines, it commonly comes with cognitive/memory impairment - at least, in my experience. Ativan less so, but only to a lesser degree (still some impairment).

If short duration is a must, try Ativan over Xanax. Otherwise, maybe give Klonopin a try?