View Full Version : Do ADHD meds exist in England?

HeadClam
09-20-12, 11:44 AM
I recently moved here and I was told by the doctor that only people under 17 are prescribed meds. Is this true? What about people who move here from places that do describe meds like Adderall and have been on them their whole lives?

TygerSan
09-20-12, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty sure we do have people from the UK here over the age of 17 who are on ADHD drugs. I'm not sure that Adderall is available (in fact, I'm pretty sure it's not), but you should be able to get *something*.

Someone here should be able to help you with the referral process . . . I do know that the NHS are not speedy, and that sometimes things depend on how well-informed the doctor you originally talked to is.

Flory
09-20-12, 12:31 PM
yep... if you are nhs most likely they will try and give you strattera or equasym, though you can get (mph products)concerta xl, ritalin etc, Dex will be prescribed where atomoxetine and/or concerta hasnt been successful because of its abuse potential...(you are fairly unlikely to get dex on the nhs)

if you go privately and have the purse to afford it ( i recommend anybody that can to do so) you have the whole range of off license meds such as adderall, vyvanse, dex spansules, daytrana etc etc available to you...however only the private psychiatrist will make these decisions and you are looking at script costs of between 100-400 GBP per month as well as the cost of your psychiatrist

also- please note that the service for adult adhd is notoriously poor over here, all meds for adults are prescribed ''off license'' even ritalin, because fr some silly reason (though waves are being made0 many docs, pdocs believe adhd doesnt exist into adulthood...though services are slowly and surely emerging...again...private is best im afraid ;(

Flory
09-20-12, 12:36 PM
I'm pretty sure we do have people from the UK here over the age of 17 who are on ADHD drugs. I'm not sure that Adderall is available (in fact, I'm pretty sure it's not), but you should be able to get *something*.

Someone here should be able to help you with the referral process . . . I do know that the NHS are not speedy, and that sometimes things depend on how well-informed the doctor you originally talked to is.

im one of them tyger ;)

HeadClam
09-20-12, 12:47 PM
yep... if you are nhs most likely they will try and give you strattera or equasym, though you can get (mph products)concerta xl, ritalin etc, Dex will be prescribed where atomoxetine and/or concerta hasnt been successful because of its abuse potential...(you are fairly unlikely to get dex on the nhs)

if you go privately and have the purse to afford it ( i recommend anybody that can to do so) you have the whole range of off license meds such as adderall, vyvanse, dex spansules, daytrana etc etc available to you...however only the private psychiatrist will make these decisions and you are looking at script costs of between 100-400 GBP per month as well as the cost of your psychiatrist

also- please note that the service for adult adhd is notoriously poor over here, all meds for adults are prescribed ''off license'' even ritalin, because fr some silly reason (though waves are being made0 many docs, pdocs believe adhd doesnt exist into adulthood...though services are slowly and surely emerging...again...private is best im afraid ;(

Private psychiatrists will prescribe meds then? That's a lot of money but ultimately it's worth it to get my life back. What is mph by the way?

SquarePeg
09-20-12, 05:03 PM
I went to a private doctor in the UK after my gp refused to diagnose me with a condition (not add related). He diagnosed me and wrote me a presciption, which I paid for. But after that prescription I could just go to my gp to get it refilled.

Flory
09-20-12, 05:28 PM
true square, however you can only do that for ritalin (and methylphenidate products(mph)), and strattera (in rare instances dex) at the minute though...pct's wont pay for adderall et all..private and NHS will give it out in cases where they deem meds necessary