View Full Version : What are the environmental factors in Borderline PD?

Geno
09-21-12, 09:22 AM
Whenever I look up "causes of borderline pd" every site just says "a combination of genetic and environmental factors". Okay, well, what environmental factors and situations would you postulate leading to the development of BPD?

SquarePeg
09-21-12, 09:29 AM
environmental childhood abuse/neglect, early separation from care givers
genetic - may be inherited or strongly associated with similar disorders among family members
brain - shown changes in certain areas of the brain involved in emotion regulation, impulsivity and aggression. In addition, certain brain chemicals that help regulate mood, such as serotonin, may not function properly.

Flory
09-21-12, 09:30 AM
I certainly think a troubled childhood (neglect, abuse) can lead to things like BPD, as well as things like social problems. i wouldn't like to speculate, apparently if you have conduct disorder with your adhd as a child you are almost definitively going to have some form pf PD ;s...PD's are so stigmatised and difficult to treat/manage

Flory
09-21-12, 09:31 AM
geno have you seen the documentary about psychopathy where they get this ex billionaire guy, very charming etc on the face and quite scary frightening on the inside withhwhat he has done to people and others around him (cant remember the name of it for the life of me) a film crew follow him and he starts manipulating even the film makers to make the documentary how he wants it to be shown, they do mri's and brain activity scans on him etc....omg....going to try and find th link for you..its vvv interesting

BR549
09-21-12, 01:31 PM
Whenever I look up "causes of borderline pd" every site just says "a combination of genetic and environmental factors". Okay, well, what environmental factors and situations would you postulate leading to the development of BPD?

There is some very strong evidence supporting a link between childhood experiences with a caregiver and BPD. The experiences *could* be physical or sexual abuse, early separation or lack of bonding with caregivers, parental apathy or indifference or emotional and/or physical abuse or neglect. Keep in mind that not everyone with BPD has had these types of experiences. There is also a possible genetic factor.

It has been shown that BPD can tend to run in families. There is some evidence that BPD can have a genetic factor as well as an environmental one.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, borderline personality disorder (BPD) is more common than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder and is estimated to affect 2 percent of the population. In a new study, a University of Missouri researcher and Dutch team of research collaborators found that genetic material on chromosome nine was linked to BPD features, a disorder characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal relationships, self-image and behavior, and can lead to suicidal behavior, substance abuse and failed relationships.
Science Daily (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081216114100.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fmind_brain%2Fb orderline_personality_disorder+(ScienceDaily%3A+Mi nd+%26+Brain+News+--+Borderline+Personality+Disorder))

Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/borderline-personality-disorder/DS00442/DSECTION=causes)
Causes:
As with other mental disorders, the causes of borderline personality disorder aren't fully understood. Experts agree, though, that the disorder results from a combination of factors. Factors that seem likely to play a role include:

Genetics. Some studies of twins and families suggest that personality disorders may be inherited or strongly associated with other mental disorders among family members.
Environmental factors. Many people with borderline personality disorder have a history of childhood abuse, neglect and separation from caregivers or loved ones.
Brain abnormalities. Some research has shown changes in certain areas of the brain involved in emotion regulation, impulsivity and aggression. In addition, certain brain chemicals that help regulate mood, such as serotonin, may not function properly.

Geno
09-26-12, 02:18 AM
geno have you seen the documentary about psychopathy where they get this ex billionaire guy, very charming etc on the face and quite scary frightening on the inside withhwhat he has done to people and others around him (cant remember the name of it for the life of me) a film crew follow him and he starts manipulating even the film makers to make the documentary how he wants it to be shown, they do mri's and brain activity scans on him etc....omg....going to try and find th link for you..its vvv interesting

Sounds interesting, but I can't relate to it because BPD isn't psychopathy :P I don't fit in to the definition of psychopathy AT ALL.

ADDMagnet
10-14-12, 07:35 PM

There are several "risk factors" associated with the development of BPD. Genetics play a significant part, especially if family members have the disorder. Early parental loss or abandonment (this can also include separation because of illness of the parent or child), trauma or abuse (doesn't have to be sexual), adoption, an unstable environment, untreated ADHD and head injuries.
Interestingly, about half of those with BPD have ADHD as well. There is a definite link between the two.
Some believe it is a form of epilepsy in the limbic system. Nerve cells firing inappropriately and out of control.

Fortune
10-14-12, 07:48 PM

I, Psychopath. The psychopath in question is Sam Vaknin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKvhKI6Kxew

scrambled86
10-14-12, 08:12 PM
Not sure but I got told I had some traits of a personality disorder that might require further areas of research.

That was probably the hardest diagnosis to swallow. Not that it is a diagnosis yet just traits.

Heard that they are difficult to treat.

Plognark
11-05-12, 01:54 PM
People with the traits or tendencies are very treatable; I wouldn't worry about it too much. It takes time and practice, and you may be able to develop a sort of secondary voice in your head to stop you if your emotional reactions get too intense or weird. That's how I manage some of my weird over-reactions.

Full blown BPD though, holy s***, that's a different story. My shrink says that it's the most difficult of all mental disorders to treat. She knows a lot of other psychologists who actually refuse to see BPD patients. They suck the life out of everyone they come in contact with.

Geno
11-20-12, 02:48 PM
People with the traits or tendencies are very treatable; I wouldn't worry about it too much. It takes time and practice, and you may be able to develop a sort of secondary voice in your head to stop you if your emotional reactions get too intense or weird. That's how I manage some of my weird over-reactions.

Full blown BPD though, holy s***, that's a different story. My shrink says that it's the most difficult of all mental disorders to treat. She knows a lot of other psychologists who actually refuse to see BPD patients. They suck the life out of everyone they come in contact with.

Oh lord, I know because I grew up living with one. I don't think I have it that bad but almost all of the signs are there and a few are pretty extreme while others aren't. Is there just one BPD or can it be mild/severe like, say, depression?

Fortune
11-20-12, 04:11 PM
There are nine symptoms listed and you only need five to meet the criteria. BPD presents in many ways.

ginniebean
11-20-12, 05:21 PM
Gino, yes there are degrees of severity and some cases are more treatable than others. Never think there's no help or hope for you.

mrs. dobbs
11-26-12, 01:47 AM
I've encountered several people initially diagnosed BPD who were eventually diagnosed with C-PTSD or PTSD.

Electra2
11-26-12, 02:01 AM
I've encountered several people initially diagnosed BPD who were eventually diagnosed with C-PTSD or PTSD.

And some are mistaken for to be one.
An example could be if they allso happen to have hormonal changes,
sleepdeprivation and are in a crisis because of an ill family member
who does not get help from a doctor...

ana futura
11-26-12, 02:12 AM
Oh lord, I know because I grew up living with one. I don't think I have it that bad but almost all of the signs are there and a few are pretty extreme while others aren't. Is there just one BPD or can it be mild/severe like, say, depression?

Dialectical behavioral therapy ( a branch of CBT developed to treat BPD) is the best treatment for borderline personality disorder. It also works well for some facets of ADHD.

If you are struggling with some of the issues that people with borderline struggle with, it couldn't hurt to see a DBT therapist, as they'll likely be able to help you whether or not you "truly" have BPD.

thewoofhound
08-03-14, 09:17 PM
My ex (who I suspect is borderline) grew up in a household with only her mother. Apparently her father beat up on her mother while she was pregnant with my ex. Additionally, her mother was beaten by her grandfather. As a result, her mother learned to mistrust most people. To cope with her issues she would do pills, drink, and have a series of short term relationships which resulted in an instable, non-nuclear family setting. My ex has told me on numerous occasions that her mother was "an amazing mom", she always wanted to give me the childhood I never got to have, and any criticism (I only offered constructive criticism) would result in a blow out. I learned never to mention that her mom has a problem... even though to this day she's addicted to opiates.If you were to ask my ex about her mom, she would only have great things to say, but if you look at the reality, she's in total denial of her mom being a drug abuser that didn't really pay much attention to her because she was so focused on escaping her own pain.

I've been working on a concept album that surrounds BPD. One of the songs I wrote called "Heirloom" discusses the principle of it being inherited from our parents through their actions and how it was handed down to them by theirs in a causal chain that stretches god knows how far into the past.

Here are the lyrics:
HEIRLOOM
must we hold it then forever?
the single gifted shard from our mother's mirror
the one we gaze ourselves at every day
the echo of a pain that wasn't ours
trained by another mans mistakes to clutch the shard
does the causal chain extend so far, to our hearts, that we can let it go

can you please tell me why we clutch the pain- afraid of letting go
trained by the whip to be a good dog- its difficult to show

our hands- both- bleeding,
how dare you question me, cant you see this pain is me
how dare you try and set me free,
if i let it go who will i then be?
is there no compromise?
all things in black and white?
What was given to you,
it was given to me,
the will to be loved and the will to be set free,
handed down from mother to daughter, father to son

Shall we hang on the words of our forefathers?
The same fools that spread lies as we do.
Or forge a different path than our mohters?
If you open your hand, i'll show you mine too

Sighing softly in reluctance i open my hand,
Will i see the same reflection, the same damaged man
I pryed my eyes open then... and behold
In the mirror...
It couldn't be any clearer...
it was you.

Sickle
09-18-14, 07:03 AM
My mom had BPD but her parents were fresh off the boat from Germany so it could be related to that.