View Full Version : Have these two guys created a natural, OTC Adderall substitute?

DvlsAdv0c8
09-22-12, 05:54 PM
I've been doing some research on possible natural alternatives to/substitutes for Adderall and ran across an interesting post (actually a comment) about some guys in Maine who came up with a combination of natural ingredients that supposedly has the same effects as Adderall. Apparently they were able to make and pass out some pills, and called them Adaboy.

Just wondered if any of our resident pharmacologists care to weight in on this one?

sarahsweets
09-23-12, 04:48 PM
Despite the good intention there is no scientific evidence of any kind that natural remedies can alliviate adhd symptoms with the exception of fish oil.

Flory
09-23-12, 04:50 PM
as far as natural remedies and holistic approaches go and how natural is always better, my general response is Anthrax is also natural :| they can also often have interactions with medications etc.

DvlsAdv0c8
09-23-12, 05:58 PM
My apologies - I accidentally posted a link to another forum.

For those who didn't get to see the formulation I was referring to, it is basically listed as follows:

Geranium Root
Dandelion Root
L-Tyrosine
M. Pruriens

Part of the reason I am curious is because I am not sure for how long I will be able to continue taking Adderall due to the possibility of a pretty hefty health issue I am in the process of getting checked. I would not be taking anything like this in conjunction with Adderall or any other ADHD prescription med.

I definitely do need to try the fish oil, as well.

Flory
09-23-12, 06:03 PM
eskimo oil is brilliant and it doesnt carry any of the risks of mercury exposure as the fish they get th oil from come from the arctic somewhere or something like that :)

425runner
09-23-12, 09:24 PM
My apologies - I accidentally posted a link to another forum.

For those who didn't get to see the formulation I was referring to, it is basically listed as follows:

Geranium Root - this is 1,3 DMAA and has been banned in all pre-workouts

Dandelion Root - cleanses your liver, mild diuretic, good for detox

L-Tyrosine - the only worthwhile ingredient, dunno how much is in it but in general you'd need 1000-2500mg/day of l-tyrosine to help you focus and feel motivated/energized etc.

M. Pruriens - supposedly helps with dopamine creation. I took it a while back, never noticed anything....

Part of the reason I am curious is because I am not sure for how long I will be able to continue taking Adderall due to the possibility of a pretty hefty health issue I am in the process of getting checked. I would not be taking anything like this in conjunction with Adderall or any other ADHD prescription med.

I definitely do need to try the fish oil, as well.

I'd say not worth the $$ buy some high quality fish oil instead, b-complex, and a bottle of l-tyrosine :)

namazu
09-23-12, 09:37 PM
Adding to what 425Runner said about geranium root, the FDA is challenging the marketing of DMAA (http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm302133.htm) (geranium extract), as "the agency is not aware of evidence or history of use to indicate that DMAA is safe".

If it has enough stimulant properties to mimic the therapeutic effects of Adderall for ADHD, it is also likely to have enough side effects to be problematic for many people, as well. If your medical condition makes it so that you can't take Adderall, there's a good chance that DMAA wouldn't be safe, either.

DvlsAdv0c8
09-24-12, 07:07 AM
Adding to what 425Runner said about geranium root, the FDA is challenging the marketing of DMAA (http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm302133.htm) (geranium extract), as "the agency is not aware of evidence or history of use to indicate that DMAA is safe".

If it has enough stimulant properties to mimic the therapeutic effects of Adderall for ADHD, it is also likely to have enough side effects to be problematic for many people, as well. If your medical condition makes it so that you can't take Adderall, there's a good chance that DMAA wouldn't be safe, either.

Love the name "Napalm"....

One of the commenters who was familiar with the creators' product and the formulation said that she bought these four items in order to try it and took them regularly, and did warn to be careful with the geranium root because of the very strong effects. She was pretty knowledgeable about the different compounds, but all of the commenters seemed to be college-age and mostly looking for a natural "study aide" ("party aide" in one case) similar to Adderall.

These folks made these comments in July and August, and being so recent I didn't know if they had stumbled across something new enough that it just hadn't been released yet by anyone else. I guess now I can understand why the creators decided not to continue producing and marketing their product, if the DMAA is so risky and could potentially have some legal consequences if someone reacted badly to it.

Thank you all for the information - this is exactly why I wanted to ask here, because I'm pretty new to all of this. With the possibility of an impending health crisis I want to explore my options, but be smart and safe about it as well.

Flory
09-24-12, 07:15 AM
my concern with products like these is that sometimes they scam vulnerable people that are desperate for any help they can get (people just like us), stick a couple herbs together and call it a cure for aids etc...i feel natural medicine and homeopathy should never be a substitute for well established and effective medications only a way to complement tried and trusted actions already in place