View Full Version : Manic depressive friend

ManicMess
09-23-12, 09:54 PM
Hey guys, I recently meet a kid who seemed pretty cool. we hit it off off the bat. We had a lot in common and he seemed awesome. But then came the downward spiral. He started having these extreme manic episodes, where he made crazy decisions and just people himself at serious risk.

His parents recently came down to our Uni and took him in for treatment. he's been on his meds for almost 3 weeks and is showing improvement. He has recently moved into another house where he has asked me to be his roommate. He's a great guy, and I really would like to room with him once he's stable again. My question is will he ever be the same guy I met at first, or will he forever be this new kinda crazy guy.

Fuzzy12
09-24-12, 07:27 AM
I think bi-polar unlike ADHD can be acquired or at least triggered after being dormant but I think, it's unlikely he will ever be what you might consider normal. Treatment and meds sure make a difference but they are no guarantee for a complete cure or a complete remission of all symptoms for the rest of his life.

It's not easy living with someone who is bipolar especially if you care for them. Maybe you could help your friend but if you can only accept him when he is normal then it might be a better idea for you to not move in with him. I don't mean this as a criticism by the way. My mother might be bipolar and if she isn't she sure displays all the symptoms. It's tough and painful, not just for her but for those around her too.

Abi
09-24-12, 07:29 AM
Once bipolar is triggered, you are never truly the same person again.

I speak from personal experience.

The best one can do is minimise the symptoms with an appropriate med regimen.

So yeh, "new kinda crazy guy" it is.

Flory
09-24-12, 07:35 AM
the question you should be asking (forgive me for sounding selfish) is will living with this guy affect me and my own problems, i can appreciate he is a great friend etc and you really like him, but if you are hyper and he is high you guys could get in to a lot of trouble, you might feel obliged to skip class/not see to your needs in order to look after him. (im not saying don't be there for him, but as an adhd'er i know how easy it is to lose sight of your own needs and things you must do, particularly when faced with caring for another individual)

I know we all like to care for people etc however i feel if you are vulnerable yourself that you need to think seriously about whether or not shacking up is a good idea.

By all means if he can get it together and you feel safe, comfortable with the idea...i dont see why not

keliza
09-24-12, 03:03 PM
Well he won't be manic all the time, no.

The difference between bipolar disorder and ADHD is that bipolar disorder is episodic, whereas ADHD is constant. You wake up and deal with the symptoms of ADHD every single day of your life. Some days it's easier to deal with, some days it's harder, but you are always inattentive, unfocused, scatterbrained, whatever your symptoms may be. Even on your best days, you still have those symptoms.

Bipolar disorder is episodic. Mood episodes are a sort of punctuated equilibrium, so to speak. People with bipolar disorder have times where their mood is totally normal (euthymia), where they experience no symptoms of mania or depression. This is remission, and it's the holy grail that all of us who have bipolar disorder are after. Most people with bipolar disorder are able to go into remission with the proper treatment. In those instances, they can have periods of normal mood that span weeks, months, even years for some people, before they have another mood episode. Another mood episode is always coming, but with the right treatment you can extend the length of your remission and mitigate some of the more severe mood symptoms when they do happen.

You may notice a difference in your friend's overall affect if his medication gives him side effects like emotional blunting, but in general when he is treated properly and in remission he will be pretty much the guy you knew before. He will have mood episodes in the future, though. The number, duration, and severity of them depends on how well-controlled his disorder is. But he will have periods of normalcy in between them too.

ManicMess
09-25-12, 10:41 PM
Well he won't be manic all the time, no.

The difference between bipolar disorder and ADHD is that bipolar disorder is episodic, whereas ADHD is constant. You wake up and deal with the symptoms of ADHD every single day of your life. Some days it's easier to deal with, some days it's harder, but you are always inattentive, unfocused, scatterbrained, whatever your symptoms may be. Even on your best days, you still have those symptoms.

Bipolar disorder is episodic. Mood episodes are a sort of punctuated equilibrium, so to speak. People with bipolar disorder have times where their mood is totally normal (euthymia), where they experience no symptoms of mania or depression. This is remission, and it's the holy grail that all of us who have bipolar disorder are after. Most people with bipolar disorder are able to go into remission with the proper treatment. In those instances, they can have periods of normal mood that span weeks, months, even years for some people, before they have another mood episode. Another mood episode is always coming, but with the right treatment you can extend the length of your remission and mitigate some of the more severe mood symptoms when they do happen.

You may notice a difference in your friend's overall affect if his medication gives him side effects like emotional blunting, but in general when he is treated properly and in remission he will be pretty much the guy you knew before. He will have mood episodes in the future, though. The number, duration, and severity of them depends on how well-controlled his disorder is. But he will have periods of normalcy in between them too.

thank you so much for the incite. IDK what to do. I told him I would give it time to make a decision. I will visit him at home, study with him, and occasionally have dinner with him to make sure he's doing alright. By january If i feel that he's doing well I will decide if I want to move in with him. I just don't want to wake up one morning with homeless people in my house, a tatto covered roommate or anything worse if you know what I mean.

Abi
09-25-12, 10:50 PM
Lol at tatoos.

While I'm not a fan of tatoos, especially on women, and would not be keen on a tatooed girlfriend, I don't really see the problem with a tatooed roommate, lol :D

BustedTs206
09-26-12, 05:53 PM
After being continuously medicated, he won't be the same person ever again.
He'll be more mellowed out. Calm... hopefully stable one day.
Not everyone can get there.

mad83
09-27-12, 08:29 AM
the question you should be asking (forgive me for sounding selfish) is will living with this guy affect me and my own problems, i can appreciate he is a great friend etc and you really like him, but if you are hyper and he is high you guys could get in to a lot of trouble, you might feel obliged to skip class/not see to your needs in order to look after him. (im not saying don't be there for him, but as an adhd'er i know how easy it is to lose sight of your own needs and things you must do, particularly when faced with caring for another individual)

I know we all like to care for people etc however i feel if you are vulnerable yourself that you need to think seriously about whether or not shacking up is a good idea.

By all means if he can get it together and you feel safe, comfortable with the idea...i dont see why not

I agree wholeheartedly. I love my parents, but they are a trigger for me so I can't be around them long.