View Full Version : Has Anyone Had Success With an Entirely Holistic/Naturopathic Approach to AD/HD?

zenner
09-23-12, 11:58 PM
This weekend, I did the unthinkable: Against medical advice, I stopped my antidepressant medication cold turkey. [NOTE: This is NOT an advisable course of action. Please consult with your medical provider if you would like to terminate medication therapy. It is much better for you body to withdrawal gradually rather than suddenly. I had my own personal reasons for taking the approach I did.] I was on 300 mg bupropion XR and 100 mg Trazadone at bedtime. I was also prescribed 0.5 lorazepam for intermittent anxiety, which I hated taking due to the way it made me feel afterward.

It has been two days, and I feel fantastic. I am taking only my amphetamine, 20 mg bid. I have come to distrust my mental healthcare providers for some very cogent reasons I've detailed in other posts. My question is this: Has anyone successfully eschewed traditional AD/HD medications for a completely holistic/naturopathic approach--understanding, of course, that "successfully" is a relative term? If you have, please share what combination of therapies you used (i.e., CBT, meditation, exercise, nutrition, supplements, etc.). How long have you used them? Do you feel the approach has made you more healthy than a traditional, allopathic approach?

I welcome any and all comments on this topic.

namazu
09-24-12, 12:08 AM
How do you define "holistic"? Many practitioners (MD/DO) who employ allopathic medicines in addition to complementary approaches would say they practice "holistic medicine".

So, to clarify, what you're really interested in is "any approach that *does not include* medication" -- is that correct? (And if a supplement was prescribed by an MD -- does that count?)

I can say that my attempts to manage my ADHD with exercise, sleep, nutrition, etc., without medication were, unfortunately, not very successful for me. However, my former doctor said she had some patients with milder ADHD who were successful in managing it with rigorous exercise routines and some structure.

zenner
09-24-12, 01:29 AM
Thank you so much for your reply, Namazu. I apologize for not being more lucid regarding what I meant by "a completelyholistic/naturopathic approach," which is certainly an ambiguous phrase these days. Essentially, I meant any approach that does not incorporate prescription medication. Much of my reading, thus far, indicates that complementary alternative medicine (CAM) is a good adjunct to traditional drug therapy; however, I've read few accounts where holistic/naturopathic solutions are used exclusively—that is, in the absence of traditional drug therapy. I am wondering if this is because, as in your case—and likely mine, our disorder simply requires the drugs, or if alternative approaches are not promoted because there is little to no money for the pharma cos, docs, and institutions to make off of these more natural solutions.

ana futura
09-26-12, 11:36 PM
I think the single best thing you can do to manage ADHD without meds is mindfulness meditation practice. I meditated prior to my diagnosis, and whenever I bothered to do it it put me in a much better headspace (happier and less impulsive)

There's a book written for ADD'ers called the Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD that I really like, it comes with a cd of guided meditations as well. I also like John Kabbat Zinn and Thich Nhat Hanh's books.

Other than that, maintain a healthy diet, get daily excercise, simplify your life as much as possible, and establish routines for yourself. Make rules for yourself, and stick to them.

425runner
09-27-12, 09:17 PM
I also find 30-45mg Noopept very helpful for clearing brain fog, increasing your cognitive abilities. It works better then Dexedrine for me so I'm seriously considering getting off. That plus a good diet high in protein, veggies, complex carbs, 2-4 grams of fish oil/day, exercise and l-tyrosine.

Only problem is....with our impulsivity it's easy to go overboard with the supplements and stuff.

tudorose
09-28-12, 12:30 AM
I see a naturopath for rrv (like cfs) and my psychiatrist supports this fully. I don't see the naturopath for the adhd. I have found the naturopathic treatments for anxiety don't work for me so I don't see myself asking for alternatives for adhd. For other non-psych med issues defo reccomend naturopath.