View Full Version : Advice for Optimizing Weight Loss While on Adderall

Mlb091582
09-26-12, 05:54 PM
Hi! I am a 30 year old female who has just been diagnosed with ADHD. I am also about 115lbs overweight due partly to a recent pregnancy (twins):)

I am taking 10 mg of Adderall first thing in the a.m. and another 10 mg of Adderall around 2:30. Yes, my adderall is prescribed.

I know that loss of appetite and weight loss is a side effect and that makes me pretty happy and hopeful.

Does anyone have any advice on what foods/beverages could help the drug do the weight loss part?

I am a server so I am running around 5 hours a day about 4 days a week. I am signing up at the gym Monday a.m. I do understand the importance of exercise, so please no rude comments about getting my fat behind on the treadmill.

Thanks for all the feedback in advance!!!

shanrocks
02-18-13, 03:13 PM
If Adderall makes you feel nauseated and have little to no appitite it will help with weight loss. I'm currently on 30mg and its caused me to eat less. However I started at just 10mg's. As far as the amount you lose, that verys on how well it effects your appitite.

meadd823
02-18-13, 07:05 PM
The medications direct effects upon appetite are only temporary The best long term effect is meal planning and scheduling exercise.

Macincheese88
03-03-13, 02:03 PM
I think a key factor is to make sure you eat regularly on Adderall even if you don't feel like it. Limiting caloric intake too much slows down your metabolism which can last long-term. For me, Adderall suppresses my appetite, especially toward meat and solid foods so I need to supplement a lot with protein shakes or smoothies to ensure that I'm getting the appropriate nutrition for my body to function properly.

Nicksgonefishin
10-01-13, 05:08 PM
I need to supplement a lot with protein shakes or smoothies to ensure that I'm getting the appropriate nutrition for my body to function properly.

I too suppliment with shakes its much easier and convenient.

I did learn that exercising after I take my med kicks my butt and is just unsafe for me. I would suggest either working out before taking your med or in the evening after it has worn off.

Go slow and make small goals.

Spartan_Worrier
10-03-13, 12:26 AM
To lose weight you need to be consuming less calories than you're body needs to use for fuel that day. A calorie is a calorie. In order to burn stored fat it needs to be deprived of fuel/food.

Aim for 1000 calories a day and do daily exercise that is something you enjoy.

flashbacks
10-18-13, 01:29 AM
To lose weight you need to be consuming less calories than you're body needs to use for fuel that day. A calorie is a calorie. In order to burn stored fat it needs to be deprived of fuel/food.

Aim for 1000 calories a day and do daily exercise that is something you enjoy.

did I really just read that ?
1000 calories is not healthy to start with, now you're suggesting 1000 calories + exercise ? There's a word for that and it's starvation, you do NOT need to deprive yourself from food to lose weight.
1000 calories a day would slow her metabolism down like crazy.

To answer your question, adderall does affect your appetite, but please, avoid skipping meals, eat your 3 meals and try to have small snacks in between ( no need to count calories, I find that it leads to useless obsessions) . The loss of appetite will help with sugar cravings and eating what your body NEEDS throughout the day will most likely avoid binges once the meds wear off.

ronmexico
10-18-13, 02:55 AM
Hi! I am a 30 year old female who has just been diagnosed with ADHD. I am also about 115lbs overweight due partly to a recent pregnancy (twins):)

I am taking 10 mg of Adderall first thing in the a.m. and another 10 mg of Adderall around 2:30. Yes, my adderall is prescribed.

I know that loss of appetite and weight loss is a side effect and that makes me pretty happy and hopeful.

Does anyone have any advice on what foods/beverages could help the drug do the weight loss part?

I am a server so I am running around 5 hours a day about 4 days a week. I am signing up at the gym Monday a.m. I do understand the importance of exercise, so please no rude comments about getting my fat behind on the treadmill.

Thanks for all the feedback in advance!!!

You're fat because you overate the wrong foods. Go consult a nutritionist. Portion control. Smaller meals. Eat frequently. Lean proteins. High alkaline vegetables. Complex carbs. Sugars in the morning and post-workout only. 80% of working out is nutrition.

If you starve yourself, your body will hold onto the fat and begin feeding on what muscle you have, you do not want that.

Thatteachermom
11-01-13, 05:58 PM
You're fat because you overate the wrong foods. Go consult a nutritionist. Portion control. Smaller meals. Eat frequently. Lean proteins. High alkaline vegetables. Complex carbs. Sugars in the morning and post-workout only. 80% of working out is nutrition.

If you starve yourself, your body will hold onto the fat and begin feeding on what muscle you have, you do not want that.

You are a bully. Who are you to make assumptions about the way someone's body functions that you know absolutely nothing about? Not everyone who has kids snaps back, often times the hormonal imbalance can throw off your metabolism or even mess with your thyroid and cause weight gain post-pregnancy. I say that with the experience of several close friends, one of which had to have medication to fix the thyroid issue!! And then there are fat shaming jerks like you who feel they have a right to talk down to someone about portion control and make baseless assumptions that really just make you look like a jerk. Shame on you.

sarahsweets
11-02-13, 07:07 AM
You're fat because you overate the wrong foods.

way to be supportive.

purpleToes
11-02-13, 09:02 AM
After researching diets for months, my ex-partner is having excellent success using the ketogenic diet (think extremely low carb diet). He started out approx 100 lb overweight and has lost over 40 pounds in the last 2.5 (maybe 3?)months. He tells me he never feels hungry on keto and not too much craving for carbs. A few years ago he had gained a lot of weight due to a back injury, and lost 50 pounds by traditional calorie restriction. It took a lot longer, about 6 months as I recall, and I remember he was hungry and miserable all the time (but incredibly disciplined!).

A co-worker of his who needs to lose at least 200 lbs noticed how well he is doing and started asking him about it, and now after getting input from his doctor, he's doing a similar diet and also says he's feeling good, not hungry.

I learned a lot about low carbing from a family member of mine who is type II diabetic but maintains normal blood sugar through diet alone, keeping her carbs under something like 30 grams per day. She enjoys her diet and doesn't feel deprived at all, except for missing one thing, fresh fruit. I understand the rationale for low carb and why it works, and I think the logic is very sound. I think all the low carb diets work comparably and it's mostly a matter of preference between them.

However whatever diet you choose has to be something YOU believe in and that fits your lifestyle. Traditional calorie restriction does work, it is more flexible, and if you choose high quality nutritious foods, you might not experience a lot of hunger.

purpleToes
11-02-13, 09:21 AM
Not a diet suggestion exactly: Get enough sleep (or as much as you can, under the circumstances).

With new babies plus a part time job, sleep is probably something you think of as a luxury more than a necessity, but it's turning out to play an important role in losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight. Real science, look it up.

dvdnvwls
11-02-13, 11:03 AM
Not a diet suggestion exactly: Get enough sleep (or as much as you can, under the circumstances).

With new babies plus a part time job, sleep is probably something you think of as a luxury more than a necessity, but it's turning out to play an important role in losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight. Real science, look it up.
Including one major obvious item: lack of sleep makes you feel tired and bad, and feeling tired and bad forces you to eat more and to make bad food choices.

seekingbalance1
11-06-13, 03:42 PM
This is something that sometimes goes away as your tolerance increases. i felt it a lot of 10mg at first but now don't feel it at all on 30-40 ir. I have no idea, as I don't want that side effect but I know many do.