View Full Version : Caution Urged Regarding Abilify, Seroquel Etc.

Retromancer
09-28-12, 12:51 AM
Starting in 2003, the makers of several second-generation antipsychotics (also known as atypical neuroleptics) have received F.D.A. approval for the use of these drugs in combination with antidepressants to treat severe depression, which they trumpeted in aggressive direct-to-consumer advertising campaigns.

The combined spending on print and digital media advertising for these new antipsychotic drugs increased to $2.4 billion in 2010, up from $1.3 billion in 2007, according to Kantar Media. Between 2007 and 2011, more than 98 percent of all advertising on atypical antipsychotics was spent on just two drugs: Abilify and Seroquel, the current best sellers.

There is little in these alluring advertisements to indicate that these are not simple antidepressants but powerful antipsychotics.

A Call for Caution on Antipsychotic Drugs (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/health/a-call-for-caution-in-the-use-of-antipsychotic-drugs.html)

Amtram
10-02-12, 05:28 PM
I've tried risperidone and seroquel - the first for my depression, the second for treatment-resistant insomnia. The doctor who prescribed the first was, IMO, unqualified to prescribe. When the benefit was marginal at best and the side effects unendurable, he dismissed me with the proclamation that I was out of luck and there was nothing else he could do for me. (Really?!?)

Seroquel just didn't do any good for my insomnia, and because I was having so much trouble from trying to survive on 2-4 hours of sleep a night, I'd be hard-pressed to say whether it was useful for anything else. Fortunately, since it didn't do any good, the doctor who prescribed it (who listens to me, and doesn't treat me like an idiot) let me discontinue it and we moved on to the next possibility on the list.

But don't miss the end of the article. . .

Of course, physicians frequently use medications off label, and there is sometimes solid empirical evidence to support this practice. But presently there is little evidence that atypical antipsychotic drugs are effective outside of a small number of serious psychiatric disorders, namely schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and treatment-resistant depression.

Let’s be clear: The new atypical antipsychotic drugs are effective and safe. But even if these drugs prove effective for a variety of new psychiatric illnesses, there is still good reason for caution. Because they have potentially serious adverse effects, atypical antipsychotic drugs should be used when currently available treatments — with typically fewer side effects and lower costs — have failed.

Atypical antipsychotics can be lifesaving for people who have schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or severe depression. But patients should think twice — and then some — before using these drugs to deal with the low-grade unhappiness, anxiety and insomnia that comes with modern life.

sarek
10-02-12, 05:46 PM
Yes, bear in mind what Amtram noted, this research focused on off label use of these medications.

Retromancer
10-02-12, 05:59 PM
Off-label use would include the widely advertised use of Abilify as a "top-off" when conventional antidepressants do not full work as intended.

Yes, bear in mind what Amtram noted, this research focused on off label use of these medications.

sarek
10-03-12, 02:16 AM
Yes, it would.

Amtram
10-03-12, 09:38 AM
Yes, and in certain cases, it's warranted. Unfortunately, as with any medication out there, it's sometimes prescribed even if it isn't warranted.

oneup
10-03-12, 02:41 PM
This doesn't make sense to me:

Let’s be clear: The new atypical antipsychotic drugs are effective and safe... they have potentially serious adverse effects...

contradiction? Tardive dyskenisia sounds pretty serious to me at least.

Nevermind just read the whole article...he is saying more don't freak out if your taking these already.