View Full Version : Welbutrin... What is it good for ,HUH! journal ADHD

minuss
10-01-12, 02:43 AM
Ok, so I am adhd inattentive. I have only been taking welbutrin and no other meds.

Here is my dosage

3 months on 1 pill SR
3 months on 300 mg SR (2 pills of 150 BOTH IN THE MORNING)
now I am at 450 XL (3 pills in morning 150 x 3)

The first 3 months I felt nothing besides a weird taste in my mouth

Some time during the 150 to 300 mg stage I had 2 days of bad headaches.

Then form there, I have this ringing in my ear and trouble sleeping.

I have switched to 450 mg recently couple of days.

I was waking up easily

I was getting 6 hours of sleep and hard time getting out of bed.

Mentally I feel NO EFFECT ON MY BRAIN.

Some times I try to convince my self that I am feeling some thing.

I say my thoughts seem fast or different. But no, if you are having trouble sleeping, you stay up at night and are alone with your thoughts for longer...

The ringing in my ear is starting to get annoying today. maybe cause its quiet. But it is a constant reminder that I am messing with the most important organ in my body.

Never have I taken this pill and felt a "up (or any) feeling because of the meds. It seems to be in my system and is dispersed on its own at a constant rate. Based on the ring in my ear and sleep pattern

I'm a bit worried about my sleeping pattern i have an app on my phone that works great "sleeptime" keeps track of my sleep and can tell when im up or asleep by vibrations on bed. seems to be accurate for legth of time slept.

Im at 6 hours on average.

Will try to keep you posted.

If any one can let me know if they have tried it under these circumstances:

1 ) No other meds taken at least 1 month prior to welbutrin.

2) It is taken for ADHD -Inattentive symptoms ONLY NO DEPRESSION.

Every one says it helps with depresion, I have not heard 1 st hand effect on ADHD symtoms.

But we shall see.

riiiiiiiiiiiiing... It wont stop !!!

namazu
10-01-12, 08:26 AM
If you've been taking the Wellbutrin for 3+ months, and it's not doing you any good, and it's causing sleep problems and ringing in your ears, talk to your doctor about dropping it and trying something new.

There are people who take Wellbutrin for their ADHD, but it's not usually the first choice for people without depression and who don't have a history of drug abuse. And even in those situations, it might not be the first choice.

No reason to stick with a medication for lots of months if it's not doing you any good.

minuss
10-01-12, 05:04 PM
My dosages were too small. Unfortunatly the medical system here sucks and I had to rely on normal doctors for prescriptions. That is why my dosage wet up so slow.

I was told that 450mg would be the right amount. and 300 just wont do. so i have to wait another few months.

minuss
10-05-12, 12:12 AM
Ok a few days have past... I'm not going to report what happened on what day exactly as it varies between people anyways. (and i cant keep track) but I will try to give a general idea.

minuss
10-05-12, 12:28 AM
So here is what happened over the past few days. Many of these symptoms occurred when i went form 1 pill to 2 pills also.

1. Firstly I would like to add joint problems now and before first noticed it when i turned my head and it clicked which i found odd, but seems like every now and then i hear ticks. kinda like cracking ones knuckles but not painfull.

2. A very week feeling. not painfull just weak. kinda like when you haven't eaten for a really long time you feel shack but your not actually shacking It was really annoying. 1 or 2 days only.

3. tired all day

4. Absolutely no effect on my brain. Lost my keys twice and same old screw ups

5. im not sure, i have been alone alot these past few days in quietness. but the ringing in my ear seems to be louder. again maybe cause im in quietness i can hear it. but before i only heard it in bed. even then i would have to concentrate to hear it. now its just there.

6.dream that i can remember :)

7.Sleep. This is becoming a big problem and im starting to get worried. I have alot of trouble getting to bed. i can hit the sac at midnight and be up until 3 or 4. Not a big issue. problem is that as soon as i hear any noise, or even sunlight i wake up, i also wake up cause of my dreams. So i get about 5-6 hours of sleep a night and in that time I wake up a few times and just hope i can get back to bed. It feels like I am taking a bunch of naps.

Because of this after a few days I feel tired during the day I almost feel like i will just fall and sleep. So i go to bed early and go through the whole thing.

If i was getting enough sleep, and what ever was keeping me up was concentrated during the day it would be much better. but untill now i have not been able to control it .

The one syptom that I did not feel that i did feel when switching from 1-2 pills is the 2 days of headaches. They should be due soon and are the worst side effect. plan to stay home. but i have a feeling i may not get it this time around

minuss
10-06-12, 12:16 AM
Sleep, need some F$#*n sleep!
Mind is racing way passed 3 in the morning.
Can feel a wall coming
but still postponing
How will it all go down
These meds in my head wont stop ringing.
Medicate me, coma-toast me, just freegin fix me !
Trial and error dont take a PHD.
Give what ever I say makes no diff thats why you just agree with me.

Mind is racing, rhyming. feel a bomb bout to explode inside me.
why the F(%* did you do this to me!
Why did you put this in me ?
If this is a joke I must say even I can find it funny.
I can go on, and on and on, like the energizer bunny
I probably shouldn't cause I suck at poetry

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'll check is rhyming after midnight is a known symptom...
Oh and no new symptoms to report.

minuss
10-10-12, 01:15 AM
Its been a week + now and nothing to report. no side effects recently besides the ringing in the ears that i dont think has ever gone away.

SquarePeg
10-10-12, 05:16 AM
well Iīve heard to wellbutrin being used to help adhd sufferers who suffer depression as it works by inhibiting the reuptake of dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine; an action that results in more dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine to transmit messages to other nerves. They were different SSRIīs which are commonly prescribed for depression. So it does sound like it could help adhd sufferers but itīs obviously not helping you.

I would go back to your doc. Do you feel like you suffer depression. I mean what did you tell your doc were your main symptoms?

kpinvt
10-11-12, 09:08 AM
I hated Welbutrin, I took it for just a few days, it felt like I had an old sock stuffed into my mouth. I stopped taking it and then told my doctor, I didn't ask for permission, there was no danger in stopping. Any side effects you don't like you should alert your doctor immediately.

minuss
10-15-12, 03:12 PM
I did do some more searching of the benefits of welbutrine specifically for ADHD... still haven't found some one say something along the lines of "when i took it i felt..(some thing ADHD related).."

I did bump in to some stuff about depression and maybe i did say things that would make him think i was depressed.
such as.

1 trouble waking up in the morning
2. sleeping too long
3 always feel tierd
4. not really interested in stuff
5. nothing excites me
6. a steady emotionless state

Along with my ADHD symptoms..

I do not feel depressed and have nothing to be depressed about. and have been this way as far as i can remember (good times and bad)

I did tell my doc that I had tried rittlin and aderall only used a few pills of 10mg). But these were from a endocrinologist.(who found nothing wrong on that end)

He gave me the impression that because these didnt work the next thing to try would be welbutrine. But I see that there are still other stims that could of been tried. and the idea of stim sounds better then this...

As far as it not working... he did tell me that 450mg dose will help only.
I have been on 450mg only a 2-3weeks. Some thing should kick in soon.
I have to wait it out after all i have been through I need to be sure before I rule this med out for ever..

In regards to seeing my doc about symptoms or anything for that matter,, I live in Quebec, I am on a 3 month waiting period to see a phsyc, there is no other short cut.
The only thing i can do is self medicate with help from my endocrinologist who is very flexible.

I hope that 3-4 weeks is enough time to rule out this med? but i have heard people say 3 months to get a proper read?

Why didn't the rout of trying other stims? isnt there another line of defence between welbutrine and stims ?

nanners
10-15-12, 06:59 PM
oh.my.gosh. That sounds terrible! I just came back from an appt where I had hoped to get started on stims. I am also inattentive and have been on Strattera for four years. Generally lethargic, apathetic, etc, brought me to the doc. I can get thru work but then "check out" for most of the rest of day. Anyhoo, doc just rx'd Wellbutrin. He said the same to me, that it is used best for ADD inattentive.

I think you might be right about the 3 months. I think, when it is a drug that has to build up in your system like this one, 3 months is ideal to see how it is working.

What you are going through sounds awful. I see your point about continuing on though, as you don't have much of a choice. At least when you can finally get in to see the doc, you will have done your part and hopefully be able to move on to something that actually works for you.

ugh. sorry.

I especially like the bit below, where you sound like you are losing your mind. Yes, definitely looking forward to that. :(

Sleep, need some F$#*n sleep!
Mind is racing way passed 3 in the morning.
Can feel a wall coming
but still postponing
How will it all go down
These meds in my head wont stop ringing.
Medicate me, coma-toast me, just freegin fix me !
Trial and error dont take a PHD.
Give what ever I say makes no diff thats why you just agree with me.

Mind is racing, rhyming. feel a bomb bout to explode inside me.
why the F(%* did you do this to me!
Why did you put this in me ?
If this is a joke I must say even I can find it funny.
I can go on, and on and on, like the energizer bunny
I probably shouldn't cause I suck at poetry

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'll check is rhyming after midnight is a known symptom...
Oh and no new symptoms to report.

Jetize
10-21-12, 09:00 PM
Hi there. I'm ADHD and taking Wellbutrin XL atm. I have been on 300mg for 4 weeks already, let me describe you my feelings.

First 2 days of taking 300mg I actually was feeling THAT EXACTLY EFFECT I wanted from this drug. But it lasted for only ~40 min (Note: same thing usually happens with my motivation - I only perform well in some task for 40 min and then I feel like I'm not interested anymore, can't do anything with it and this problem applies to everything. Does anyone feels the same?). After this I was only feeling the side effects the whole way:

-sleep problems

-some noise in my head, i guess it is blood flowing there

-one thing that bothers me is increased hearing sensitivity - (idk if I spell it right) - some noises are very painful and i have strange feeling in my head near my ears like there is something numb in there (Note: I've found that there is increased level of dopamine in this brain area if you are lazy/adhd - don't know how is it linked with WB effect)

-nothing good in my lack of concentration/irritability. and I feel like I even cant make myself motivated anymore, like I'm emotionless. I actually feel nothing and nothing seems to bother me like I'm a robot.

-increased sex drive

-I don't feel like I want to eat junk food anymore. I don't want to eat normal food either. And like I said before same with my activity - I don't want to work (lazy as usual) and dont really want to entertain myself like playing games/watching films etc.

The only drug I'm taking alongside is Idebenone (some days, not all the time) - I feel myself a bit better and less agitated. I don't think it affects WB

I don't know how long should I wait? And what do all these side effects mean? Why does it take few weeks for WB to work, what is going on in my head during this time? I'm only hoping for WB to work cause of those first day effects, but I'm not sure when it's taking that long

hollywood
10-21-12, 09:34 PM
Yeah it helps with drive but it sucks mostly . Yet most people live it. Dunno

minuss
10-23-12, 08:16 PM
OK,

So i scrolled back a bit and noticed that I was just about to post what I have already said.
Seems I cant keep track of what side effects i have and when so this journal helps.

After the last post, I think things got better,
Seems like side effects come in waves 1-3 days long. but with sleep it is hard to tell.

I have problems getting to bed, In retrospect it probably isnt as bad as before. but close to the same.

Today I feel like some things up.

Yesterday I was so tired during the day (late afternoon). Now i dont mean lazy or drowsy. This was a tiredness on a level i never had. Usually I dont even know if im tiered i used to just stay up all night and sleep in so there was no longterm damage.

I actually feel the tierdness start to set in, it starts with a yawn and i tell myself im not that tiered i can last tilll night.

by 4:00pm I am knocked out. I actually left early out of fear that I would fall asleep driving. Traffic is a killer.

Anyways I was so tiered that I felt that something bad was going to happen. like my brain would shut off in a hart beat as opposed to nodding off.
Finally i got home. straight to bed before i collapse.

Guess what? I cant sleep ! so i think between 5pm and 9 I may have got an hour of sleep and then was up untill midnight and went back to bed to go through it all again.

Now, Im starting to understand that I have to let go of my thoughts at night or else They will suck me in to hours of contemplating.

Today i am tired but not to that extent.

However today i had trouble eating, I didnt eat breakfast or lunch (which i completely normal for me) then i went to out out of habbit more then hunger. I ate half what i used to and then i felt full. forcing myself to eat more (knowing its just meds that make me feel this way) was not worth it in terms of food intake to feeling like crap.

I feel like throwing up. Actually before i went to eat i felt something come up from my stomach. When i force myself to eat it just gets worse. then i say ok this is not worth it i will just finish up whats in my mouth and stop. but that last little bit in my mouth is th worst. How bad i want to spit it out. maybe its more that im thinking of throwing up that my gag reflex is hypersensative.

Anyways moving along...

When I move my body there is a wierd feeling, it is like a overexagerated reflex to extream hunger.. kinda feel shacky but not shaking..

Cravings are setting in. I think its a craving for normality.

Not sure if I have lost any craving to junk food, but now that i think of it i havent had any junk food. (but this is normal )

all of these symptoms I had before but now they are all tuned up.

Now maybe i gave the wrong impression. You have to realize that I come on here Only on the worst days. In general I'm ok just uncomfortable with for spirts of high comfortableness? .. I have this thing where I can endure more negative things then your average person. Maybe for some it will be too much.. but in all honesty Im OK, I guess you can compare it to being hungry all day. or not having a cigaret all day. Annoying but defiantly doable.

I can see some hope for energy, I remeber when i was on the lower dosages I wuld wake up fresh and ready for the day it was a great couple of days. But then I went to my normal wanting to sleep in. but this is natural i think if you have a lack of sleep.

I think i just have to make sure i get to bed early and stop thinking and that will take care of the tiered feeling. Ill try tonight to give it an honest shot too sleep early and not think. but these symptoms usually last but a few days or hours only usually. hopefully all is gone tomorow. If not by the weekend i expect THIS wave of side effects to pass.. what happens after? usually nothing.

I dont mind the side effects. what gets me is that I feel it all Except any change in my way of thinking what so ever. Today a thught came through my head.. If I cant sleep because I am thinking to much at night then there must of been a change ? But again i really feel like nothing has happened. Next week is the week that expect to feel that change if it comes. Ive had all the usual side effects and now should be the positive changes.
But It ****** me off I feel nothinng in this aspect.

Also, my joints have been "ticking" on and off in conjuction with all the other effect.Its like cracking yur knuccles just not painfull. neck,knees and some times wrist.

----
OK,

So I scrolled back a bit and noticed that I was just about to post what I have already said. Seems I cant keep track of what side effects I have and when so this journal helps.

After the last post, I think things got better, Seems like side effects come in waves 1 or 2 days. Only for that reason is it bearable.

I have problems getting to bed again. That problem seemed to have gone or almost gone and came back

Today I feel like some things up.

Yesterday I was so tired during the day (late afternoon). Now, I don't mean lazy or drowsy. This was a tiredness on a level I never had. Usually, I don't even know if IM tiered I used to just stay up all night and sleep in so there was no long term damage.

Now, I actually feel the tiredness start to set in, it starts with a yawn and i tell myself IM not that tiered i can last till night.

by 4:00pm I am almost knocked out. I actually left early out of fear that I would fall asleep driving. Traffic is a killer.

Anyways I was so tiered that I felt that something bad was going to happen. like my brain would shut off in a hart beat as opposed to nodding off.
Finally I got home. Straight to bed before I collapse.

Guess what? I cant sleep ! So I think between 5PM and 9PM I may have got an hour of sleep and then was up until midnight and went back to bed to go through it all again.

Now, IM starting to understand that I have to let go of my thoughts at night or else They will suck me in to hours of contemplating.

Today i am tired but not to that extent.

Other side effects are making there way to surface. Today I had trouble eating, I didn't eat breakfast or lunch (which is completely normal for me). Then I went to eat out of habit more then hunger. I ate half what I usually eat and then I felt full. Forcing myself to eat more (knowing its just meds that make me feel this way) was not worth it in terms of food intake to feeling like crap.

I feel like throwing up. Actually, before I went to eat I felt something come up from my stomach. When I force myself to eat it just gets worse. Then I say "OK this is not worth it i will just finish up what's in my mouth and stop." but that last little bit in my mouth is the worst. How bad I want to spit it out. Maybe its more that IM thinking of throwing up that my gag reflex is hypersensitive. But its hard to get that little bit down..
This is a new side effect and anything new is welcome as it may bring hope with it later.

Anyways moving along from barf...

When I move my body there is a weird feeling, it is like a overexagerated reflex to extreme hunger.. kinda feel shaky but not shaking. This was felt a nit before but on a very low level.

Cravings are setting in. I think its a craving for normality!

Not sure if I have lost any craving to junk food, but now that i think of it i haven't had any junk food. (but this is normal ).... (now that I'm proof reading, a chocolate bar may be a good idea, that's right this is my writing AFTER proof reading)

All of these symptoms I had before but now they are all turned up.

The one side effect that I'm missing really would be that day or 2 of terrible headaches. THAT WAS TERRIBLE. Not sure why it didnt come back(I up my does every few months so I tend to get side effect that come back)

Now, maybe I gave the wrong impression. You have to realize that I come on here Only on the worst days. In general I'm OK just uncomfortable with spurts of high comfortableness? .. I have this thing where I can endure more negative things then your average person. Maybe for some it will be too much. But in all honesty IM OK, I guess you can compare it to being hungry all day. or not having a cigarette all day. Annoying but defiantly doable.

I can see some hope for energy, I remember when I was on the lower dosages I would wake up fresh and ready for the day it was a great couple of days. But then I went to my normal wanting to sleep in. but this is natural I think if you have a lack of sleep.

I think I just have to make sure I get to bed early and stop thinking and that will take care of the tiered feeling. Ill try tonight to give it an honest shot too sleep early and not think.

These symptoms usually last but a few days or hours only usually. hopefully all is gone tomorrow. If not by the weekend i expect THIS wave of side effects to pass.. what happens after? usually nothing.

I don't mind the side effects. what gets me is that I feel it all Except any change in my way of thinking. Today a thought came through my head.. If I cant sleep because I am thinking to much at night then there must of been a change in my head ? But, again I really feel like nothing has happened.

Next week is the week that expect to feel that change if it comes. I've had all the usual side effects and now should be the positive changes.OR The usual nothingness.

Also, my joints have been "ticking" on and off in conjunction with all the other effect.Its like cracking your knuckles just not pain full. neck,knees and some times wrist.

I have not ever felt any change to meds. But I'm glad I don't have access to a Psych as it is giving me a real idea if it works or not. I will be glad to scratch it off the list and never have to ask myself ... Maybe it would of worked if I gave it a bit more time. (Close to a month on 450mg)

Don't get scared! You can do it and it wont be that hard. I mean if you been on it for a week or 2 and thinking of quitting with effects like I am having, I'd say hang in there. you'll be OK and the wave of side effects will probably be gone tomorrow morning.

Thank you for posting on my profile to continue. I usually go to .."see all posts by minuss" and then click each one to see if there is something new or a reply. And that message stopped the pain of going through all that crap.. I know..I know, there's an easier way to stay on top of your posts but try to explain that to some one with unmedicated ADHD

P.S.S.S Id apologize for the length of this post but it will just prolong it

minuss
10-23-12, 08:21 PM
Yeah it helps with drive but it sucks mostly . Yet most people live it. Dunno

I don't want drive. I have learnt how to get to work.(Even if the work yields to nothing.)

All I want is to get rid of the delay in talking in a conversation... To Flow. After all one can talk their way out of doing nothing but on cant .... I dont know... Ill finish the saying tonight I'm sure.

ADDisme2010
10-23-12, 08:28 PM
I agree that Wellbutrin is not normally the first choice in treatment for ADD....at least here in the states it isn't. I take it daily for ADHD, however, I am not able to take any stimulant medications due to other health problems. I think it helps some with the anxiety and depression, and a small amount with being able to think a bit more clearly. If you continue to have side effects, I would suggest calling the doctor and seeing if they want you to continue taking this. There are certainly other meds out there that may work better for you!!

minuss
10-23-12, 08:34 PM
(ahh subscribe)...

Hi there. I'm ADHD and taking Wellbutrin XL atm. I have been on 300mg for 4 weeks already, let me describe you my feelings.

*****Why havent you gone up to 450mg? dont eat up time like i did

First 2 days of taking 300mg I actually was feeling THAT EXACTLY EFFECT I wanted from this drug. But it lasted for only ~40 min (Note: same thing usually happens with my motivation - I only perform well in some task for 40 min and then I feel like I'm not interested anymore, can't do anything with it and this problem applies to everything. Does anyone feels the same?). After this I was only feeling the side effects the whole way:

Never actually timed myself. I find it has more to do with 1. If Im at home or out and 2 if i am interested. If I do something intresting at home I can go on all night.

-sleep problems

-some noise in my head, i guess it is blood flowing there

Is it a high pitch sound that don't go away ?

-one thing that bothers me is increased hearing sensitivity - (idk if I spell it right) - some noises are very painful and i have strange feeling in my head near my ears like there is something numb in there (Note: I've found that there is increased level of dopamine in this brain area if you are lazy/adhd - don't know how is it linked with WB effect)

-nothing good in my lack of concentration/irritability. and I feel like I even cant make myself motivated anymore, like I'm emotionless. I actually feel nothing and nothing seems to bother me like I'm a robot.

This is my natural state so I cant comment

-increased sex drive

lol

-I don't feel like I want to eat junk food anymore. I don't want to eat normal food either. And like I said before same with my activity - I don't want to work (lazy as usual) and dont really want to entertain myself like playing games/watching films etc.

Hmmmm

The only drug I'm taking alongside is Idebenone (some days, not all the time) - I feel myself a bit better and less agitated. I don't think it affects WB.

Whats Idebenone do, never heard of it .

I don't know how long should I wait? And what do all these side effects mean? Why does it take few weeks for WB to work, what is going on in my head during this time? I'm only hoping for WB to work cause of those first day effects, but I'm not sure when it's taking that long

Welcome to the club of "why am I on this"

minuss
10-23-12, 08:47 PM
well Iīve heard to wellbutrin being used to help adhd sufferers who suffer depression as it works by inhibiting the reuptake of dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine; an action that results in more dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine to transmit messages to other nerves. They were different SSRIīs which are commonly prescribed for depression. So it does sound like it could help adhd sufferers but itīs obviously not helping you.

I would go back to your doc. Do you feel like you suffer depression. I mean what did you tell your doc were your main symptoms?

Dont feel depressed. but I looked at the symptoms of depression (sleep and attention problems) and realize that I may have given the impression. sleep and attention are in both ADD-I and depression.

If welbutrin is to give more dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine then what does it say about people it (and/or stims) does not work for? Is our levels too low? or is something broken up there, Maybe a clogged gland that just needs to be cleaned?
Sorry to divert people away from the hole trial and error approach.

I live in Quebec, Apparently no matter how much money you have, you have to wait 3 months to be seen ! May as well do this to pass the time.

minuss
10-23-12, 08:53 PM
oh.my.gosh. That sounds terrible! I just came back from an appt where I had hoped to get started on stims. I am also inattentive and have been on Strattera for four years. Generally lethargic, apathetic, etc, brought me to the doc. I can get thru work but then "check out" for most of the rest of day. Anyhoo, doc just rx'd Wellbutrin. He said the same to me, that it is used best for ADD inattentive.

I think you might be right about the 3 months. I think, when it is a drug that has to build up in your system like this one, 3 months is ideal to see how it is working.

What you are going through sounds awful. I see your point about continuing on though, as you don't have much of a choice. At least when you can finally get in to see the doc, you will have done your part and hopefully be able to move on to something that actually works for you.

ugh. sorry.

I especially like the bit below, where you sound like you are losing your mind. Yes, definitely looking forward to that. :(

LOL,

As I mentioned, It is all over exaggerated, I only post on the worst of days and kinda vent it out. but its not that bad. It may just help you, I can see it working for keeping you fresh (not tiered in the morning) But I guess the poem kinda makes it seem worse then it is. Yes, lost my mind would be accurate. but I have lost that a long time ago along with my keys. Maybe I left them in some other thread about hot girls!

minuss
10-23-12, 08:56 PM
ADDisme2010,

I also don't use stims as Ritalin and aderall failed to give ANY change. Did you find something that works for you ?

nanners
10-24-12, 09:14 PM
Thanks for your update minuss. So far I am a week in and I definitely feel more alert throughout the day. It is so nice to have more energy and stamina. However, I worry about my poor little brain. There isn't all that much to work with in there to begin with ;) and I am a little concerned that taking something that is affecting so many of my fragile neurotransmitters is going to poop them out and make them not work at all later. :D

I have noticed that I am making a lot of mistakes at work. Not good. I can only attribute this to the med as that is not the norm for me.

I am bummed that I don't feel very motivated just more awake. I guess I am confused about that. Is the med supposed to help with that? Or is that some personal work I am supposed to be doing? :scratch: I don't know. I almost want to go off all meds and see if I feel carefree and full of energy like I used to when I was a wee little monkey.

Surely not, but I can dream :)

Hrothgar
10-24-12, 10:53 PM
I am on Wellbutrun and Celexa, being treated for depression (3 years now). I only figured out I have ADD this last week (although I suspected it for over a year now). Just waiting for a diagnosis from my doctor and hopefully treatment (such as Ritalin or some specific ADD-targeting drug). To the best of my knowledge, Wellbutrin is not particularly useful for ADD except that is supposed to be a mild stimulant (which may contribute to your inability to sleep at night).

What it has done for me is reduced my anxiety (I used to have panic attacks, particularly at night), reduced my irritability, and smoothed out my moodiness. I was hoping it would help with my addictive personality but that does not seem to have been the case...I have been as bad recently as I ever was (mostly alcohol, no drugs). Welbutrin is supposed to help people stop smoking, drinking, etc.

I think it does help me to some extent but mostly for depression and anxiety. I would suggest you go back to your doctor and perhaps get on medication that is specifically designed to help with ADD.

Best of luck!

Hrothgar
10-24-12, 11:05 PM
I can also mention that I am tired almost every morning (although I do manage to get up every day on time to go to work) and recently I have had to nap on some weekend days. I never used to nap at all and it was getting to the point recently that my wife was getting concerned. The daytime tiredness has receded a bit but, the point is, I don't think Wellbutrin does a heck of a lot for your general daily energy levels.

I have also noticed a lot of joint cracking/popping (particularly in the neck) but just put that down to getting older. I never tied it to medication.

hollywood
10-28-12, 10:22 PM
Likely celexa pulling you down mate

TheRealShow
11-03-12, 04:14 AM
Today is my first day on Wellbutrin, this is the first med I've ever tried. I'm a little upset because my doc said today he thinks I have depression, and that I should stop being so convinced I have ADD. This came out of left field because my last appointment, which was my first appointment ever, he diagnosed me with ADD. I don't think I have depressions. I don't suffer from anxiety. My doc doesn't want to prescribe me stims because I experimented with drugs back in college like 15 years ago.

I don't like Wellbutrin so far, but I understand it's only the first day so I guess I'll give it a shot. It made me so tired today at work like never before, but like a mental tiredness, not physical. I was in a fog, confused, making stupid mistakes.

Later I was at the drive-up ATM trying to make a deposit and when I should have rolled down my window to put the deposit in the thing, I got confused about what I was doing and tried to open the door, then I locked the door, then I stopped and was like, what are you doing? And then I rolled down the window! So weird! Then I went to pump gas and I had to cancel the credit card transaction 3 times before I did it right because I kept hitting the wrong buttons but I thought they were the right ones. I have never had anything like this happen to me before, it was like I was in a daze.

Also, twice today I almost hit cars when I was driving because I don't know how to explain it but I forgot I was driving or something. I looked up and had to think quick twice. So scary! Again, never had anything like that before.

I took a nap inbetween my shifts today and had the WEIRDEST dreams that kept waking me up. I always dream really long, crazy dreams, but these dreams were almost like lucid or something, it was like, I was really thinking hard in my dreams about stuff or something and they were waking me up.

Then, I went back to work - I wait tables - and twice, customers asked me simple questions that I have known the answer to for the 3 years that I've worked there, and I went completely blank. Literally said, "um" when a lady asked me what vegetables were in the stir fry. Could not name a even one single malt whiskey when asked, and Jameson is my favorite!!! So embarrassing and strange!

At the end of my shift, when I normally feel tired, as I should after working all day, I started feeling really good, like full of energy and smiling and everything was making me laugh. I did not like that feeling because it seems unnatural to be feeling that at the end of a long day when everyone is tired. Now here I am, 4:13am, wide awake, also did not really want to eat anything for dinner except vegetables, which is weird for me, I usually eat a big dinner.

So, yeah, so far, horrible. I called my doc earlier and he said just take it for two more days and if I still feel this way, then we'll talk.

Anyone have any insight on any of this?

nanners
11-03-12, 04:29 AM
Hi TheRealShow :)

I have been on the Welly for two weeks now (obv. not long term). I did however experience a very weird first few days. There was a lot of giddiness combined with spacing out....as well as weird sleep (not falling asleep as normal, waking up throughout the night)...AND I had a lack of appetite.

But now....it has mellowed by a lot. I do feel more alert throughout the day than I did before. I am getting a lot more things done in the day to day than I was before. In the past, I would be literally burnt out and done for, after a work day. I am now able to do a lot more things around the house and general errands that I def. couldn't handle before.

I was also bummed that my doc didn't prescribe a stim.

Just to put it out there, I also take Strattera, which helps with my anxiety and generally overwhelmed outlook. I know you say you don't experience that, but just wanted to give you the full picture.

My doc told me I had to take the Welly for a full month before discussing other options. Maybe your doc feels the same way?

hollywood
11-05-12, 12:04 AM
I don't know it jacks your memory up

TheRealShow
11-09-12, 09:47 PM
Well, I took Wellbutrin for a week at 150mg, and today is my first day at 300mg. I feel absolutely nothing! I felt horrible the first day, and then the second day I felt great, ton of mental energy, focus, able to cope with things, and then after that day I have not felt anything. The only thing I felt today on my new dosage was an urge to eat even though I wasn't hungry and I wanted to sleep so I took an hour and half nap. I have tons of homework to do and I have no motivation.

I'm really upset at my pdoc because he is telling me I have depression, not ADD, all of the sudden, and I'm trying to be open to that, but I'm not sad! I'm just not motivated. And this med is not doing a dang thing. Arg. Just venting and HOPING this medicince starts working or something.

Is it normal for me to be feeling nothing?

minuss
11-20-12, 08:38 PM
Seems like the ratio of positive effects to bad effects is very bad. At the top of my head we have 3:1,

Nanners, I do not think there is "very little in your head to start off with". I think of it as a smart ( I added the smart part) brain that is in the wrong fluid and we are trying to put it in the right fluid. But in reality, yes, We are actually frying ourselves. The only hope is that the doctors have enough data to know that our lives are shorter then the negative effects meds will have on our brains. But the age that we live to is probably underrated.

Hrothegar, I dont recall if I mentioned the symptom, but yes I also feel my bones cracking, I do not think it is cause of your old age. as soon as I started on the med I would turn my head and every once in a while i would hear a crack. I never had that before. I believe it is on the list of side effects but I think it totally is the med.

minuss
11-20-12, 08:43 PM
The realshow, You hit the nail on the head with your ATM story.

"ATM trying to make a deposit and when I should have rolled down my window to put the deposit in the thing, I got confused about what I was doing and tried to open the door, then I locked the door"

I had this same feeling, it is hard to explain. I would say a combination of weekness, shackyness, nervousness and especially I feel like I cant count on myself to handle things correctly. It may be a self fulfilling prophecy. It is not any one of those. but all combined.

I can see it coming up at an ATM machine. For me it showed up at a gathering where I would continuous drop things while talking to people making me look like I was super nervous.

minuss
11-20-12, 08:48 PM
Hi TheRealShow :)

I have been on the Welly for two weeks now (obv. not long term). I did however experience a very weird first few days. There was a lot of giddiness combined with spacing out....as well as weird sleep (not falling asleep as normal, waking up throughout the night)...AND I had a lack of appetite.

But now....it has mellowed by a lot. I do feel more alert throughout the day than I did before. I am getting a lot more things done in the day to day than I was before. In the past, I would be literally burnt out and done for, after a work day. I am now able to do a lot more things around the house and general errands that I def. couldn't handle before.

I was also bummed that my doc didn't prescribe a stim.

Just to put it out there, I also take Strattera, which helps with my anxiety and generally overwhelmed outlook. I know you say you don't experience that, but just wanted to give you the full picture.

My doc told me I had to take the Welly for a full month before discussing other options. Maybe your doc feels the same way?

I am glad it is working for you, this will give some people some hope, keep us updated. The appetite thing is a bit tricky, I found it best to eat a bunch of small meals.

I am curious what made you write this

"Just to put it out there, I also take Strattera, which helps with my anxiety and generally overwhelmed outlook. I know you say you don't experience that, but just wanted to give you the full picture."

minuss
11-20-12, 08:49 PM
I don't know it jacks your memory up

From my understanding it is supposed to make your memory worse

minuss
11-20-12, 08:57 PM
Well, I took Wellbutrin for a week at 150mg, and today is my first day at 300mg. I feel absolutely nothing! I felt horrible the first day, and then the second day I felt great, ton of mental energy, focus, able to cope with things, and then after that day I have not felt anything. The only thing I felt today on my new dosage was an urge to eat even though I wasn't hungry and I wanted to sleep so I took an hour and half nap. I have tons of homework to do and I have no motivation.

I'm really upset at my pdoc because he is telling me I have depression, not ADD, all of the sudden, and I'm trying to be open to that, but I'm not sad! I'm just not motivated. And this med is not doing a dang thing. Arg. Just venting and HOPING this medicince starts working or something.

Is it normal for me to be feeling nothing?

This is exactly how I felt from the urge to eat, to the fact that I began to wonder if my pdoc thought I had depression and that is why he prescribed this.

BUT I did not have those days of focus or clarity, This is very positive and at a low dose. Maybe when you make it 450 you will be clear all the time? Stick to it, Even 1 day of clarity is hopeful

minuss
11-20-12, 09:11 PM
-----UPDATE ----

So, to conclude, I stayed on the med. I had to go to a get-together and it was terrible. I am not sure if it was a temporary thing or permanent, but I felt week all over, I was dropping things left right and centre. Like I was nervous, And in general all the symptoms of nervousness were there. I felt like a fool, like I was intimidated by people. I could not trust my own hands to hold things making it a self fulfilling prophecy.

As for the hunger/loosing weight side effect this is what I have to say.

One day out of the blue I was starving and actually wanted to go to eat ( a very rare thing) So, I ordered some food and found that I could not even 1/3 of what I usually eat. After that amount, every bit I took made me feel like throwing up. It was as I was full. This never went away. I eat a bit then I get REALLY hungry an hour later and have to eat another small meal. The hunger is so strong! It is as if I got my stomach stapled.
This continued and never seemed to go away. I would say that

Yes it helps you eat less per meal but you need to have more meals. my weight stayed steady

So again, My experience with Welbutrin is not typical, the side effects are right on, but the benefits are just not there.

I am told to wean of welbutrin and start concerta 18mg and up it every week if there is no effect.

This would mean that I would have to take 300 mg (instead of 450) of welbutrin tomorrow. But I feel like I should give the 450 welbutrin and the concerta a chance to see if they work together well. before I wean of the Welbutrin.

minuss
11-21-12, 11:47 PM
I tried the concerta today and took one welbutrin off my dose. Didn't feel a thing. I know it way to early.

Had a thought. The side effects of the Welbutrin... They sound alot like what you would expect from ADD meds.

I had the shaky feeling, staying up and the past few days I have been on the PC more then usual (granted I have a lot of things to do and the dead line is coming up)

Maybe it is working and I just don't know it. I'm thinking to stop the concerta and stay on the welbutrin a bit more. I hate being patient!

hollywood
11-22-12, 12:28 PM
Wellbutin helps increase interest I'm lost desire due to depression. It's mainly for depression , it makes my adhd worse

minuss
11-23-12, 11:09 PM
Wellbutin helps increase interest I'm lost desire due to depression. It's mainly for depression , it makes my adhd worse

Yeah I think I'm gona dump this stuff. Nothing about it makes sense.

upworkhometvbed
12-10-12, 11:10 AM
For me, personally, Wellbutrin XL has been nothing short of a miracle drug. I'm currently taking 300mg once a day in the morning. I also take 30mg Adderall XL when needed, and I try to take it as infrequently as possible to keep my tolerance to a minimum, and also because it is incredibly expensive.
I didn't notice any effects of the Wellbutrin until after about 2 weeks on the drug. I work outside doing very strenuous physical labor, and one morning I just noticed that I had a generally more positive demeanor than usual. My energy level seemed to have increased two-fold, and it stayed that way throughout the entire day. I've now been on it for 3 weeks and have not noticed any decrease in my energy level.
Another major side effect has been a major decrease in sleep. This sounds like it would be a bad thing, but I don't seem to NEED as much sleep as I used to. I used to sleep 8-9 hours a night, and wake up feeling groggy, like I wasn't ready to get up yet. Lately I've been getting a maximum of 5 hours a night, but I wake up feeling refreshed and ready to start the day. At first I thought that the loss of sleep would eventually catch up to me and cause me to crash, but I've been like this for over a week and still don't feel any fatigue. At first I thought this was probably a side effect of the Adderall, as it is finals week and I've been pulling all-nighters somewhat frequently, but after 3 days with no Adderall, my sleep patterns are still the same To be honest, I really don't miss the sleep at all. I always hated how much rest I needed just to feel "normal", and now I feel like I'm finally where I want to be. Unlike most people who have poisted in this thread, I don't have any trouble getting to sleep, or staying asleep once I do, but this could be partially due to the fact that I stay very busy, and have never been one to lay down for bed until my body and mind actually felt like they were tired.
The only downside I've experienced is having less control over ejaculation, but I suspect that this can be overcome with exercises. It hasn't really been a huge problem or anything, it's just that I used to be a bit of a sexual superman in terms of stamina, and now I'm a bit more "average".
I hope this hels!

minuss
12-10-12, 10:43 PM
Yes its good to get an idea from a different perspective, No one should ever assume that they will have my results, if anything bet on the opposite or you will have a long trip like I did.

Is been a while but now that I am looking back I can see what you mean. I did not feel like my mood changed or I had more energy. For me it seemed like all the effects with would be crammed in to week and then would slowly go away until I higher the dose (which was on a monthly basses rather then all in one week).

I never was at a point where things were consistent. So some days I would have alot of trouble sleeping that felt scary... But if i take away those days I can relate.
I can see how I had less and less sleep and did not need more. (besides a few bad days).

I am so glad that you found other benefits that I did not feel like an increase in daytime energy.

Did you also feel this without the Aderall? and did you have any depresion?

Would you say this med is more about energy or helps in ADD more.?

For me I felt no ADD benefits.

For those who, down the line may come here for information. I will let you know that I have been weaned off welbutrin and simultaneously weaned on Concerta.

I was looking forward to the concerta that the small effects of the welbutrin going away were not noticed at first. It is such a relief to get rid of the weird feeling at the back of my throat and the cravings I was having that seemed unquenchable (may be related to quitting smoking ) But I do not feel anything good. When I think of it though alot has been gone. I can feel like the med is out of my system. The "heaviness" is gone.

today I woke up at 2 pm ! At teh latest on welbutrin it was 11 am. usually between 5 and 10 am.

But also I went to bed at 5am last night so from around 6 hours added a few hours.
this does not worry me as much as the fact that my sleep schedule lost its rhythm of waking up in the morning no matter what.

the extra hours of sleep kinda take away from my life. but due to my ADD no productivity was lost. I tend to "work" day and night when I am in the midst of something. those extra hours should of helped. but reality is that it was just extra hours or distractions.

by this I mean I may have simply added more projects on instead of actually getting things done. End result is the same slow pace.

Makes me realize how much not being able to concentrate effects me. no matter how much time I add the pace of accomplishment stays the same. Maybe I should only work an hour a day ! lol

I started with a minimal dosage of concerta, that was to go up every week on wednesdays. Last Wed was the full dosage (3rd week) this Wednesday I will stay at the full dosage. It is much easier to tolerate I do not notice it at all. but I fee there are no benefits at all. I will give it some more time as i am not loosing anything.

Mid January I meet my doc and we will see if there is any other options for me or any one that may be going through this same issue.

If I feel anything on the Concerta then I will post a journal on it for others to reference.

Im glad to hear the meds give you energy ! I remember before understanding the Attention issue or ADHD, energy was the only thing I wanted.

hollywood
12-11-12, 01:53 AM
In response to the last post I will state that none of the mentioned affects or effects seem relevant to wellbutrin at all . I quite honestly don't fully understand the intent , the content or the meaning of your experience . Wellbutrin affects drive and desire in depressed people and had a moderate effect on adhd . It's the get stuff done drug . Without a buffer it can weigh you down and make you feel all over the place . That's the anxiety it provokes . Anyway Effexor seems to work well with it