View Full Version : Sydney Psychiatrist who's open to SPECT

standtall
10-02-12, 03:01 AM
Tried searching in the forums but couldn't find anything.

Can anyone please recommend a Sydney based psychiatrist who may be open to SPECT? My current psych has no experience with SPECT and doesn't seem very supportive of the idea.

Thanks in advance

Amtram
10-02-12, 02:12 PM
It's pretty much a waste of time and money if you're looking for a diagnosis, and regardless of what Dr. Amen says, it does not provide any valid basis for prescribing one medication over another.

standtall
10-03-12, 10:29 PM
It's pretty much a waste of time and money if you're looking for a diagnosis, and regardless of what Dr. Amen says, it does not provide any valid basis for prescribing one medication over another.

I have been on medication for a year and have reduced them to a large extent. I need to know whether my brain activity has improved and if I don't need medication.

It's hard to know with or without SPECT but it may provide some extra information.

ConcertaParent
10-04-12, 04:01 PM
Have you tried to contact the Sydney Medical School (e.g., dale.bailey@sydney.edu.au (dale.bailey@sydney.edu.au))? Don't you need a BEFORE and AFTER SPECT to know if there's been any brain difference from your treatments? Do you think it's worth the >$2,000 cost even though you already know you've improved a lot? Good luck!
I have been on medication for a year and have reduced them to a large extent. I need to know whether my brain activity has improved and if I don't need medication.