View Full Version : Anyone Else Diagnosed with Congenital Toxoplamosis -and- ADHD?

Bethylphenidate
10-02-12, 03:01 AM
I didn't know if this should go in the "Scientific Discussions" or "Co-Existing Conditions," but I ultimately decided to put it here because I do still suffer "complications" from the disease, so, I guess that's co-existing, right?

Like many people born with the disease, I did not show 'symptoms' until years after birth. I was diagnosed with CT at 7 years old when my ophthalmologist discovered that I'm legally blind in one eye; he found a scar on my right retina (i.e. the back of my right eyeball.)

In the past, I've wondered if I might not have ADHD at all, and that it might be 'damage' from toxoplasmosis. Thing is... nobody else in my family was born with—or least, no one displays—complications from the disease. Also, my mother was diagnosed with ADHD when she was younger (whatever the heck they called it in the '60s), my sister in the '80s, and my brother (ADD) and I in the mid-'90s. So, there's no doubt in my mind that I have ADHD... nor is there any doubt that I have toxoplasmosis. I guess for me, it's a double whammy because inattentiveness and hyperactivity are complications of both. All I know is, I dodged a bullet because some babies are born with mental retardation, hearing loss, or seizure disorders.

According to this study (www.hindawi.com/journals/jpath/aip/965046.pdf) [.pdf file],

"No clinical studies have specifically linked ADHD or autism to toxoplasmosis, although hyperactivity as well as modified social interactivity and sensorimotor effects are features of infection in mice that are of relevance to both conditions."

...Anyone? Given that only ~400-4,000 people are born with it per year (in the US), it's a long shot, but... I thought I'd ask because this would be the place to do it! :p

Drewbacca
10-02-12, 05:28 AM
On a somewhat related, but not really... note. I have strabismus (technically, not "lazy eye" but that is the common understanding of it). I know there has been some research on convergence insufficiency (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16361187) that might also open some doors for your investigation.

Regardless of causation, I wouldn't be surprised if you turned up some commonality between some of these medical issues. Personally, I think it is naive to not look at ADHD as at least a dozen different medical problems with the same general symptomatology.

Regarding where this thread best fits, it really depends on your purpose. If you want an academic discussion, to debate an idea, to find additional research... then this goes into the science discussions forum. If you are looking more for the experience of other members in order to compare notes, then you are already in the right place.
Sometimes, it makes sense to just cover the bases and start two different threads, each focused on a specific question... so long as they remain independent of one another (i.e. one discussing co-existing condition support and experience and the other one with the dry academic discussion).

Bethylphenidate
10-02-12, 09:21 PM
Personally, I think it is naive to not look at ADHD as at least a dozen different medical problems with the same general symptomatology.

That's a good way to look at it! It makes total sense.

I was diagnosed with CT ~1 year before ADHD, but that, too, makes sense. Thanks for the link.

TygerSan
10-06-12, 11:15 AM
Huh! I have convergence insufficiency also, and had trouble tracking when I was younger. Learned to fear a pen flashlight, as I would have to do tracking exercises with it, and they were *boring* and somewhat painful.

If you look at people who get into car accidents, they are more likely than average to have latent toxoplasmosis infection. A similar link exists with suicide risk. Both car-accidents and suicide risk are associated with higher levels of impulsivity. . .

But, if you think about it, people who are more impulsive may be more likely to be infected with toxoplasmosis as well, so the association can really go both ways. . .

sarek
10-06-12, 11:22 AM
I believe I have seen studies that seem to indicate a possible link between toxoplasmosis and forms of schizophrenia.

Bethylphenidate
10-07-12, 01:24 PM
Huh! I have convergence insufficiency also, and had trouble tracking when I was younger. Learned to fear a pen flashlight, as I would have to do tracking exercises with it, and they were *boring* and somewhat painful.

If you look at people who get into car accidents, they are more likely than average to have latent toxoplasmosis infection. A similar link exists with suicide risk. Both car-accidents and suicide risk are associated with higher levels of impulsivity. . .

But, if you think about it, people who are more impulsive may be more likely to be infected with toxoplasmosis as well, so the association can really go both ways. . .

Interesting. Now I'm totally going to bring up that bit of information whenever someone hassles me about being almost 26 and not having a license. ;) I'm not suicidal, but being behind the wheel, that would be like vehicular suicide!

I believe I have seen studies that seem to indicate a possible link between toxoplasmosis and forms of schizophrenia.

The study I linked mentioned the toxoplasmosis/schizophrenia correlation as well (as in, they think there is indeed a correlation.) :) It also specifically ruled out congenital toxoplasmosis as being a contributing cause of ADHD. Other than that, I could not decipher exactly why that is.

All I know for certain is that I got pretty lucky, considering what could have happened to me!