View Full Version : Inconsistent academic work

higgledy
10-02-12, 11:26 AM
My son is in 6th grade he has ADD. He is medicated and has a 504 in place. The school and his teacher are great. He is doing well in all his classes except for math. He has tested at the honors level in math, which means to me he 'gets' the concepts and has the aptitude, etc. However, his math work is very inconsistent. Right now he has a 34% in the class. His teacher says he is good in class, always engaged and with a correct answer when called. However, his quiz and homework is inconsistent. My wife and I check his homework, but it is very inconsistent. Almost like he checks-out on 3 problems and then wakes up on the next 3 problems. I fear that if we don't figure out how to help him be consistent then we are failing him. What can I do? We have an appt. with his pedio to discuss his medication. We also have a meeting with the teacher and vice principal to discuss his math grade, 504, and a plan.

LynneC
10-02-12, 12:13 PM
Does he have a lot of math homework each day? If yes, and you feel sure he's understanding the concepts perhaps you could request that he be allowed to do 1/2 the number of problems.

The quiz thing is harder, but if his quizzes have a bunch of problems on them perhaps it's an issue, too?

T-Rex65
10-02-12, 12:36 PM
I agree with LynneC. I was constantly in trouble for not doing all of my homework, but I picked up the concepts easily. So if your son is essentially solving the same problems over and over again, I would ask the teacher to eliminate the repetition. I'm sure some kids need it, but in your son's case, it's probably doing more harm than good. He may get the message that "math is boring", like I did.

Maybe you could ask his teacher to substitute the redundant problems with a couple of more challenging problems for him? It will keep him engaged, and will assure the teacher that you and your son aren't just trying to take the easy way out.

higgledy
10-02-12, 12:37 PM
Does he have a lot of math homework each day? If yes, and you feel sure he's understanding the concepts perhaps you could request that he be allowed to do 1/2 the number of problems.

The quiz thing is harder, but if his quizzes have a bunch of problems on them perhaps it's an issue, too?

He does not have all that much math homework. I think he is getting the concepts. When I review homework with him, he seems to grasp the concept. Even the teacher says he always has the correct answer when called in class. It is only when he is working alone that he forgets how to solve the problems or he loses all ability to stay focused. He tested at the honors level in math. I don't want to fail him.

LynneC
10-02-12, 01:50 PM
Has he had this problem with math in the past, or just starting this year?

Any other subjects causing him problems?

higgledy
10-02-12, 02:27 PM
Has he had this problem with math in the past, or just starting this year?

Any other subjects causing him problems?

Yes, math was a problem in 4th grade. We put him in Kumon during the summer between 4th and 5th. 5th he did well...high B average. Now, 6th grade math is tougher, starting pre-algebra topics.

All his other subjects he is doing well. high Bs and As.

BTW, I don't care if he gets As. I just want him working to his potential and enjoying life. However, failing leads to feeling like a failure, and that ain't enjoying life.

twicker1
10-02-12, 03:03 PM
Not sure HOW to solve it, but it sounds like he gets going, starts rushing and probably misses little things. Then stops, looks around, regroups, then starts again with the correct answers. I know MY son wouldn't do this, but maybe tell him to answer two questions, count to 10, then do 2 more problems?