View Full Version : Suggested school accommodations for ADHD

Dizfriz
10-03-12, 10:10 AM
<cite>Accommodations for school and ADHD have been coming up more lately; not really unexpected as it is the beginning of the school year.

Barkley was kind enough to post an article from the ADHD Report titled 80+ Classroom Accommodations for Children or Teens with ADHD on his site. I posted on this quite a way back but it was under a pay wall at the time. Now it is free as a downloadable pdf.

www.russellbarkley.org/content/ClassroomAccommodations.pdf (http://www.russellbarkley.org/content/ClassroomAccommodations.pdf)

These are ideas and while far from being a total list of possible accommodations, could be a good idea generator. Be sure that it is unlikely that anyone will be able to use all of these. Deal with what you can put in effect with the cooperation of the school, teacher and counselor.

I have found that often the school counselor is your best friend. Occasionally though, one can be the child's worse enemy. Pick your battles and work to find allies.

Another point, considering Barkley's stature in the field, it could be a good thing bring to a meeting with a teacher, counselor or ARD committee. A little high powered ammunition never hurts. They may not listen to a parent but Barkley is harder to ignore, doesn't mean that they cannot do it however, but it is at least harder.

In any case enjoy and use it if you think it will be of help.

Yours,

Dizfriz

</cite>

Amtram
10-03-12, 02:06 PM
Did you cross-post this on your sticky?

ConcertaParent
10-03-12, 11:16 PM
Thanks. The teacher is supposed to phone us tomorrow with an update. The special education research teacher is working on my daughter's IEP, and I see some good ideas in Barkley's list that parents can also use.
<CITE>www.russellbarkley.org/content/ClassroomAccommodations.pdf (http://www.russellbarkley.org/content/ClassroomAccommodations.pdf)</CITE>

SquarePeg
10-04-12, 04:29 AM
Thanks. I have a meeting shortly with his year tutor and my sonīs private tutor is coming. His educational psychologist wanted to meet with him but she works in another area. After the meeting she will phone or email him to make sure that he knows exactly what the school needs to be doing in terms of the law and my sonīs educational rights. She is awesome, she wonīt go in all guns blazing but she wonīt be quiet and go away either.
Iīm lucky to have a good team on my side. The school counselor is a complete waste of space, but I need to be careful not to make an enemy of her.

LynneC
10-04-12, 10:13 AM
This deserves a 'Sticky' of its own! :)

Dizfriz
10-04-12, 12:17 PM
It is up on a sticky, thanks. Parents and teachers need access to this information.

May I strongly suggest that special attention be paid to the nine principles Barkley describes at the beginning of the article. These are core to any behavior management program (home or school) for ADHD children and cannot be stressed enough.

Dizfriz

gpfan5
05-17-13, 02:54 PM
This link is no longer available, will google and see if it's somewhere else...

thank you for posting, btw!

gpfan5
05-17-13, 02:55 PM
http://www.ldastl.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=D9l2SZAL%2FJ8%3D&tabid=85

If this is not o.k. to post, just let me know! Thanks!

Dizfriz
05-17-13, 03:02 PM
gpfan5

Thanks for finding this. I am going to see if it can be put on my on my corner.

Dizfriz

gpfan5
05-17-13, 03:06 PM
Dizfriz, hope it's what you had originally! Thanks for all the stickies and info you've posted over the years! :)

Dizfriz
05-17-13, 03:13 PM
gpfan5

Thanks for finding this. I am going to see if it can be put on my on my corner.

Dizfriz

Daydreamin22
12-30-13, 06:26 PM
great thread, thanks! :)

MomToOne
06-27-14, 07:14 PM
I just went looking for this and neither of the posted links worked any longer, but I searched and found this on his website:

http://www.russellbarkley.org/factsheets/ADHD_School_Accommodations.pdf

Hope it is accessible for everyone!

Khamy25
12-11-15, 05:19 PM
Thanks!

deepamot
04-24-16, 02:31 PM
I just went looking for this and neither of the posted links worked any longer, but I searched and found this on his website:

http://www.russellbarkley.org/factsheets/ADHD_School_Accommodations.pdf

Hope it is accessible for everyone!

Thanks for the exact link.

Caco3girl
05-10-16, 03:25 PM
"This means that teachers must be more mindful of planning ahead in managing children with this disorder, particularly during phases of transition across activities or classes, to insure that the children are cognizant of the shift in rules (and consequences) that is about to occur."

These seem more geared for the K-5 crowd, maybe even Pre-K. I can't see a High School teacher doing this. Does anyone have any accommodations for the 9-12 crowd?

Danibee
02-28-17, 10:44 AM
These seem more geared for the K-5 crowd, maybe even Pre-K. I can't see a High School teacher doing this. Does anyone have any accommodations for the 9-12 crowd?

I was thinking the same thing. Anyone have any updates on this suggestion?