View Full Version : Following through and turning in assignments

JaceyK
10-03-12, 01:28 PM
My son is 11 years old...just started middle school (6th grade). He is taking all pre-AP classes and seems to be doing fine (going by quizzes and tests); however, he has missing assignments scattered throughout his classes due to "forgetting" to turn in assignments. When approached about it, he said the teachers didn't ask for it so therefore, he didn't turn it in. :umm1: I corrected that attitude with "you are responsible for turning in YOUR work...not the teacher". Sigh...

Following through is like the one thing he is most incompetent in (in addition to organization LOL)...I have another son, 8 years old, who is also ADD (less hyper than the 11 yo). So it's pretty tiring having to be BOTH of their shadows...and NO, I am not their shadow...I am of the mind that they HAVE to live it in order to learn it. 11 YO would be perfectly content having me wait on him hand and foot...fortunately, the 8 yo likes to be independent. The 11 YO is in middle school and should be taking responsibility for his own actions (or lack of).

What are some of things you do to help your ADD/ADHD child FOLLOW THROUGH? Other than being mother hen? I think the following through goes hand in hand with turning in work on time...

EDITED to add a little more history: 11 yo was diagnosed in 1st grade...he is ADD with just a little hyperactivity...mostly impulsive - he takes 15 mg focalin xr daily; 8 yo was diagnosed in kindergarten (and was actually to my surprise...but his ADD pales in comparison to 11 yo) with just ADD - he takes 20 mg metadate cd.

BR549
10-03-12, 09:00 PM
Hi JaceyK. My 14 year old had a horrible time with this in elementary school. Especially when he started changing classrooms for each subject.

Here where I am in the Dallas area, the kids are supposed to use agendas to keep up with their work, what was due, test and reminders to turn in work. This just didn't work for my son. He wasn't organized to begin with and he couldn't keep up with the agenda.

We had him put a manilla folder in his notebook for each class and each evening he put his completed work in it. On the outside written in bold letters was "TURN IN WORK IN THIS FOLDER" When he opened his notebook at the beginning of each class, he saw the folder with the writing and that prompted him to turn in work. It took about a month of this before it became a habit and he just automatically turned work in.

He's in high school now and we don't have any issues with turning in work and haven't for several years.

nanners
10-03-12, 10:30 PM
Just curious, was your 11 year old doing better with these things in the past?
And has he had his meds adjusted at all recently? Not sure if it relates, but I noticed that my 11 year old is having these types of issues and she had been doing so much better. We have been noticing signs of "puberty" beginning and are having her meds adjusted due to this. They say the new hormones can cause the meds to not work as well. I am all about teaching my kiddos about follow through and consequences, and am not saying medication is the answer for everything. Just a thought.

twicker1
10-04-12, 11:21 AM
Just curious, but when you tell him that he has to turn it in did that correct the problem? My son is the same way, and unless I am right in his face, telling him to do something at THAT moment, he just forgets about it.

JaceyK
10-05-12, 10:23 AM
We had him put a manilla folder in his notebook for each class and each evening he put his completed work in it. On the outside written in bold letters was "TURN IN WORK IN THIS FOLDER" When he opened his notebook at the beginning of each class, he saw the folder with the writing and that prompted him to turn in work. It took about a month of this before it became a habit and he just automatically turned work in.

This is a really good idea...will see if I can squeeze this into his non-routine. LOL. :)

JaceyK
10-05-12, 10:26 AM
Just curious, was your 11 year old doing better with these things in the past?
And has he had his meds adjusted at all recently? Not sure if it relates, but I noticed that my 11 year old is having these types of issues and she had been doing so much better. We have been noticing signs of "puberty" beginning and are having her meds adjusted due to this. They say the new hormones can cause the meds to not work as well. I am all about teaching my kiddos about follow through and consequences, and am not saying medication is the answer for everything. Just a thought.

This is first time he's had to go to 6 different classes in 7-8 hour school day. In Elementary, they had ONE teacher and never switched...only left class to go to specials (art, music) and PE. Right now, our clue for med adjustment is whether he eats his lunch or not...sad, huh? If he's eating all his lunch and is ravenous by the time he gets home from school, then it's time to adjust. LOL. DS isn't close to puberty just yet...he's going to be a late bloomer, I think...however, I do think when he does hit it, it will hit hard...Lord help us all. :faint:

JaceyK
10-05-12, 10:50 AM
Just curious, but when you tell him that he has to turn it in did that correct the problem? My son is the same way, and unless I am right in his face, telling him to do something at THAT moment, he just forgets about it.

Unfortunately, I can't follow him around school making sure he turns it in. LOL. I think that the true issue here is that he has 6 teachers to deal with, and he has to learn to take the initiative to ask about missing grades/assignments and to FOLLOW THRU. LOL. The "follow through" mantra just doesn't get through the boys...my dd, otoh, is the queen of "follow through"...she's my firstborn and most responsible person in the house (besides dh LOL). I'm guessing that I will be hammering it into them until they move out for college (if they go to college).

gemini-dreamer
12-11-12, 01:01 AM
`My daughter is horrible at turning in assignemnts even if we go the extra mile to get them completed, last minute and very late. Sometimes I drop them off at the school for her, but mostly I just remind her a lot.

ccom5100
12-11-12, 01:34 PM
he has missing assignments scattered throughout his classes due to "forgetting" to turn in assignments. When approached about it, he said the teachers didn't ask for it so therefore, he didn't turn it in. :umm1: I corrected that attitude with "you are responsible for turning in YOUR work...not the teacher". Sigh...

This is my ds to a tee and I am sighing right along with you. He is in 8th grade and definitely lacking in organizational skills. I make sure that he has all his completed homework in his homework accordian folder (with a tab for each subject), but if the teacher doesn't ask for it, he forgets to turn it in.

I am trying to make him more responsible for completing and turning in his work and so I have started giving him consequences every time he gets a 0 on a homework assignment (even if he did it and didn't turn it in). I am denying him internet access for two days, except when needed for a homework assignment.