View Full Version : Homework grrrrrrr

SquarePeg
10-05-12, 04:54 AM
I think the point I am about to make not only applies to kids with adhd and other learning disabilities but to all children.

I teach English conversation to Spanish kids and I always like to find out their views and opinions on school and life in general.

One thing that over 90% of children (age range 7 to 17), regardless of ability, said that they would prefer a longer school day and have no homework at all. So I asked ok, as much as three hours longer? They didnīt hesitate in their replies, they didnīt care how much longer but NO homework.

When kids put on that school uniform and enter those school gates they have their "study" heads on and are in school mode. The moment that school bell goes they switch into relax mode. When they go home, itīs a place of relaxation, comfort and security and I think kids find it very difficult to put their study head on at home. Itīs difficult to make that mental transition. Everything about home should say "relax", I mean what do you feel when you look at your bed or sofa?

I do think kids have a tough time regarding homework, and itīs no wonder kids have meltdowns when it comes to doing it.

Iīm 47 and didnīt have any homework until high school (kids get homework from primary here).

JaceyK
10-05-12, 10:52 AM
For me, my peeve is the homework they have to finish before doing anything else...and then it's dark outside. Sigh. After being cooped up in school all day with maybe 1/2 to 1 hour recesses (or PE for middle school), I am a fan of outside time after school. However, I also need them to finish their homework before meds run out. LOL!

ccom5100
10-05-12, 01:20 PM
I am totally fed up with homework. My ds is in 8th grade. His school day is from 8 am - 3:30 pm. He doesn't get home until after 4pm. He barely has time to get home, have a snack, and unwind for about 30 minutes before he has to sit down for 2-3 hours each night to do homework.

On the days that he has soccer practice, it is just unbearable. He has fallen asleep in class (and received a 0) the next day because he was exhausted from staying up so late to do his homework. Soccer is the only outlet he has and I refuse to deny him that outlet. I loved it when I was homeschooling him because once the school day was over, he had so much more free time to pursue sports and other interests.

SquarePeg
10-05-12, 02:58 PM
Too right, I donīt stop sports either and his educational psychologist tells me that he benefits so much from it. But really itīs just too much.

My kids get home at 3.45 have lunch and I put on as series like the Mentalist, they watch the first 10 minutes (suss out the culprit) and then fall asleep until the culprit is revealed and they are usually right.

Then they have to wake up and do 2 hours homework. They told me they dread coming home from school as they know they have to do homework.

Kasi
10-05-12, 05:23 PM
Huh, that might explain why I was so awful at doing homework after about sixth grade. Previous to that, I could just do homework on the bus ride home, or during a sort of 'free time' during the school day. After that, it was too much work for it to be done during that time. So it didn't get done at all.

I think I would have also preferred to have a longer day and no homework and would have chosen that in a heart beat. In middle school, I also had 'block' periods, which meant on Mondays I had all my classes, but the rest of the week, they alternated classes and they took up two periods. Which meant there was homework for only certain classes on certain nights. In hindsight it worked much better.

They changed it to block periods at my high school the year after I left. My life, this is it...

stef
10-05-12, 06:34 PM
i would have preferred half days with homework actually...
i just needed more down time
school was draining, even when i was little (so many people, all day long...)