View Full Version : Nightmares

scrambled86
10-06-12, 07:08 PM
I've had this problem on and off for a long time now.

But I get some really horrible nightmares, where I wake up feeling terrified.

Anyone else ever get them? How do you overcome them?

someothertime
10-07-12, 10:05 AM
I rarely dream. Usually if my life is fluid/inspiring ( rarely ) I start dreaming again.

I have a horrible nightmare once every year or so. Snakes, trippy evil people etc.

I look at dreams as your brains way of digesting info. So based on this, perhaps there is something you are avoiding or have been unable to digest mentally.

Start there.

SquarePeg
10-07-12, 11:06 AM
Im sometimes suffer from nightmares, but strangely I seem to know in my dream that its only a dream, so I have to keep telling myself I will awake soon. I can also sometimes wake myself up during the nightmare by shouting or making a lot of movement in the dream and usually wake up shouting!

Stress and anxiety can cause nightmares and so can ptsd. I did read that if you have poor quality sleep you can have nightmares. My mum always said that cheese before bedtime causes nightmares, but I think some research shows that high fat foods eating close to bedtime cause poor quality sleep.

Also spicy foods before bedtime cause the body temperature to rise a little and disturb sleep increasing the chances of nightmares.

People dream at least 4 times every night but if you have a good nights sleep then you are unlikely to remember dreams. Dreams are usually remembered closest to waking.

scrambled86
10-07-12, 01:06 PM
Thanks both.

There is a lot of stuff I don't deal with very well mentally and I guess that is the cause.

My eating habits are appalling but don't often eat much before bed - actually I don't eat much at all really.

Am also on mirtazapine / remeron which has made them all the more vivid.

Will have to wait and see what the psychologist says, hopefully they can help.

Cheers

Fuzzy12
10-10-12, 10:45 AM
I dream a lot and often get nightmares. Either the scary type or just unpleasant, disgusting ones that make me hate myself for having such a bizarre, twisted mind. As a kid I used to get lots of terrifying nightmares but that's become a lot better over the years. Maybe because I sleep much better now.

Eating too much gives me nightmares too. I've stopped watching horror movies or anything creepy because I can't handle it. I can't even watch scary music videos.

What really helped me and I don't know if that's an option was to not sleep alone. If I have a nightmare when I'm on my own I get so scared on waking up that I need to switch on the lights and I won't let myself go back to sleep. If my husband is there, I don't feel so scared usually. Sometimes, I scream in my sleep but my husband said once he puts his arms around me, I usually stop.

Fuzzy12
10-10-12, 10:48 AM
Im sometimes suffer from nightmares, but strangely I seem to know in my dream that its only a dream, so I have to keep telling myself I will awake soon. I can also sometimes wake myself up during the nightmare by shouting or making a lot of movement in the dream and usually wake up shouting!

Stress and anxiety can cause nightmares and so can ptsd. I did read that if you have poor quality sleep you can have nightmares. My mum always said that cheese before bedtime causes nightmares, but I think some research shows that high fat foods eating close to bedtime cause poor quality sleep.

Also spicy foods before bedtime cause the body temperature to rise a little and disturb sleep increasing the chances of nightmares.

People dream at least 4 times every night but if you have a good nights sleep then you are unlikely to remember dreams. Dreams are usually remembered closest to waking.

Square, I often know when I'm dreaming too and if it's a nightmare, I try to make myself wake up by moving or screaming. I rarely manage to get out a sound though in that stage and that freaks me out more. I suffer from a condition called sleep paralysis, where the natural mechanism of paralysing your limbs and falling asleep is out of sync. So you are still paralysed even though you aren't necessarily sleeping anymore (Usually you aren't fully awake and alert yet either). It's often accompanied by dream like hallucinations. I used to think it's just a specially nasty nightmare till I came across this term. it's quite common apparently. Maybe that's what's happening to you to when you know that you are dreaming>

SquarePeg
10-10-12, 10:52 AM
Square, I often know when I'm dreaming too and if it's a nightmare, I try to make myself wake up by moving or screaming. I rarely manage to get out a sound though in that stage and that freaks me out more. I suffer from a condition called sleep paralysis, where the natural mechanism of paralysing your limbs and falling asleep is out of sync. So you are still paralysed even though you aren't necessarily sleeping anymore (Usually you aren't fully awake and alert yet either). It's often accompanied by dream like hallucinations. I used to think it's just a specially nasty nightmare till I came across this term. it's quite common apparently. Maybe that's what's happening to you to when you know that you are dreaming>

I suffered sleep paralysis around the time of my bulimia and therapy, it was so scary I really hated it. I really felt like I was awake and I would be alone in bed and hear someone coming up the stairs but unable to make a sound or move. Luckily it only lasted a few months as it was awful.

This waking myself up from a dream is something I have always been able to do. Actually I think Im a little weird as Ive had scary dreams since childhood and sometimes actually enjoy them (like when you enjoy watching a scary film). I always felt my dream life was so exciting.

Fuzzy12
10-10-12, 10:58 AM
I suffered sleep paralysis around the time of my bulimia and therapy, it was so scary I really hated it. I really felt like I was awake and I would be alone in bed and hear someone coming up the stairs but unable to make a sound or move. Luckily it only lasted a few months as it was awful.

This waking myself up from a dream is something I have always been able to do. Actually I think Im a little weird as Ive had scary dreams since childhood and sometimes actually enjoy them (like when you enjoy watching a scary film). I always felt my dream life was so exciting.

Some of my dreams are like thrillers or action movies and I enjoy them too. Especially because I usually do quite well in those. I hate the ones, where I do things that aren't nice or acceptable to me.

Sleep paralysis sucks. Sometime after I told an acquaintance about it who seemed to have it he said now that he knows what it is, it doesn't freak him out anymore. He just relaxes without trying to wake up and goes back to sleep. I've tried that but just can't do it. I still panic every time. I hate the helpless, vulnerable feeling, knowing that I can't move.

Sometimes in that state I try to guide my dreams or I imagine something exciting like being able to fly. It doesn't work perfectly though. I've told my husband to wake me immediately when he hears me make muffled sounds and that works quite well.

SquarePeg
10-10-12, 11:20 AM
the thing with sleep paralysis is that I am convinced Im awake and am completely helpless. Maybe it was a reflection of who I was feeling during that period, in fact come think of it, I had just started therapy and was finding it tough. I felt that I was an egg and the shell my protection and that therapy and smashed my shell leaving me vulnerable, helpless and without protection.

It was a very scary feeling to be without the protection of my bulimia (as that stopped when I started therapy). I kept trying to overeat, but the feeling of wanting to stuff my face and vomit had gone completely so it didnt work. I tried getting drunk but that didnt work either.

but I did get through the therapy and it was well worth it.

scrambled86
10-10-12, 12:48 PM
I also get sleep paralysis...in my dreams I think I am awake; I try to scream or move and I can't...I'm frozen. Then when I eventually wake up I'm terrified.

Other times I scream / shout / move around a lot in my sleep (or so I was told by my ex-partner)

Some days I wake up feeling like I've run a marathon in my sleep!

Sleeping with someone else isn't really an option at the moment, but thanks for advice :)