View Full Version : Should I call my pdoc?

asdfdoc
10-07-12, 03:54 AM
It's Sunday morning. I am seeing my pdoc on Monday afternoon. I am on wellbutrin (day 5 @ 100mg SR once a day) as a treatment for adhd. my relationship is falling apart due to the fact that I am obsessed with finding treatment for my condition. I dearly care for my gf. The strange thing right now is that I cannot feel any emotion, especailly sadness, complete apathy or indifference on wellbutrin. Somehow, we are breaking up, and I feel nothing although I do care for her. My gf is crying and I feel no empathy. I can wait till monday afternoon to see my pdoc. But this is a serious problem at this moment. Any suggestions?

SweetCode
10-07-12, 05:36 AM
It's Sunday morning. I am seeing my pdoc on Monday afternoon. I am on wellbutrin (day 5 @ 100mg SR once a day) as a treatment for adhd. my relationship is falling apart due to the fact that I am obsessed with finding treatment for my condition. I dearly care for my gf. The strange thing right now is that I cannot feel any emotion, especailly sadness, complete apathy or indifference on wellbutrin. Somehow, we are breaking up, and I feel nothing although I do care for her. My gf is crying and I feel no empathy. I can wait till monday afternoon to see my pdoc. But this is a serious problem at this moment. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't call the pdoc because of that, what I would do,

Tell her the truth using kind words and explaining that even being unable to understand what is going on right now that you know deep inside how much you care about her, and then state clearly about the appointment on monday and after solving this issue that is causing you such a sentimental blocking , that you would like to go out with her to some nice place where you guys can speak calmly and chat about the relationship, because even with the lack of empathy , you know how this is being problematic and that you trust her and love her enough to fight this barriers as one in order to have a great future together , remember to take something special like a poem (nothing bought).

ps.: Since I live in Latin America our cultural differences may be an issue in my advice.

SquarePeg
10-07-12, 05:45 AM
good advice from SweetCode. I know from friends on wellbutrin that an unwanted effect was they felt nothing, no empathy. So even though her kids were crying about something she just felt nothing. personally this is not an acceptable side effect.

Talk to you doc on monday and be clear about what your priorities are. I too have been through obessive phases to get treatment for many things in my life. I have often given up and then started up again years later.

sarahsweets
10-07-12, 06:50 AM
Your pdoc unfortunately isn't always the best one to call in these situations. Do you have a therapist?

asdfdoc
10-07-12, 08:08 AM
She's also my psychotherapist. I have another problem that just delveloped, which sounds really weird. I am a bit scared for no reason right now. I am imagining in my head, not hallucinating, that there are scary ghosts are in the bathroom, making me unable to go pee. In addition, I did feel like there was a bit pre-hallucination scene where I was staring at an object and that object started jiggle as if in the movie, butterfly effect. I think I should call my pdoc. I don't wanna take my tomorrow's dose.

SweetCode
10-07-12, 08:20 AM
Really sounds like you're having some strong side-effects for such low dose, what meds are you on other than wellbutrin? are you awake for a long time?

peripatetic
10-07-12, 08:23 AM
how long have you been on your current medicaiton regimen?

my thoughts overall:

you're feeling agitated, but then your affect is atypical for you i gather...etc. do you feel compelled to take any action? like...do you have an urge to....engage in reckless behavior to feel? are you ideating? are you exhibiting unusual (for you, relatively) *behaviour* or just unusual feelings/ways of processing your experience? are you compelled to *do* anything to relieve the agitation? if so, what?

you don't have to answer all that...but in the course of answering for yourself...the bottom line is: are you danger to yourself or others? i don't just mean lethal danger...i just mean...do you have strong urges or are you fearful of what you might do? and if so...how fearful?

absolute bottom line: if you cannot keep yourself safe...you need to either call 911 or go the ER...they will contact your doctor for you and help you keep yourself safe.

the symptoms you describe...the blunted affect...yes...but more importantly, insofar as more urgently, the distorted perceptions and the accompanying fear....if you've never had that or if that's not part of your symptoms for wahtever psych reason...you MUST tell your doctor. if you can calm yourself...and it's just the blunted affect...i'd wait until monday...though i'd call the pharmacist at least and describe your symptoms, espeically if they persist, before continuing your medication...but i wouldn't simply stop as that could create its own set of problems. a medical professional can better guide you than anyone here can. that said...if you can't calm yourself...if you're losing your **** and you feel increasingly impulsive and/or have strong urges to engage in behaviours that...might not be lethal danger...but carry consequences....call him/her.

since ou mention your psychiatrist is also the one who does your therapy...which, i can relate as mine does as well...and you're losing your **** and the agitation builds and you fear what you might do...phone at whatever time of day in your time zone is what you've agreed on is appropriate--i.e. don't ring at six AM...but if s/he is generally available for potential emergency support/guidance on next steps...from nine to four or whatever...call at nine.

i would also suggest when clarity of sorts has returned you two work out what circumstances you should ring, when to seek ER help, etc.

best of luck to you

peripatetic
10-07-12, 08:29 AM
soz...i just saw you answered the question about length of time on medication....

i think since you've taken it for such a short time, though surely you're under considerable stress right now...you should call someone during working hours before continuing your meds. but don't just not take it. at least call the pharmacist and get some advice.

but if you really really feel like you should phone your doctor...you probably should if you still feel that way during working hours.

SweetCode
10-07-12, 08:34 AM
This believing that something , is somewhere without any evidence is called a delusion. and the "pre-hallucination" state sounds like some psychosis or confusion starting , but it don't make much sense in such low dose.

If you feel this symptoms getting stronger I strongly suggest going to ER.

peripatetic just posted some great info.

peripatetic
10-07-12, 08:44 AM
This believing that something , is somewhere without any evidence is called a delusion. and the "pre-hallucination" state sounds like some psychosis or confusion starting , but it don't make much sense in such low dose.

If you feel this symptoms getting stronger I strongly suggest going to ER.

peripatetic just posted some great info.

you konw...the stress you're under...surely that can **** with a person, but what sweet says above...about that being a possible marker of (moving toward) psychosis...s/he's right (soz...sweet...your gender's unknown to me:o).

taht can happen with anti depressants. i can tell you from experience. ages ago...decades now...i once tried to switch off of stimulants to a tricyclic for my adhd. in hopes of having to take less pills less frequently.

it only took two days for it to induce a psychotic break. no ****. some people aren't meant to take antidepressants. i'm not telling you that, and hope i'm not, to exacerbate your agitation/fearfulness. and that may well NOT be the case. from what i know it's rare for that to happen to people who aren't bipolar--though...people who ARE bipolar...who aren't on a mood stabilizer...taking antidepressants alone, or stimulants, can induce hypo/mania--but it does happen. what you describe...*could*...and i stress COULD be a side effect of your medication...it could also just be your being under such duress over your relationship...it could be a combination of the two...

only a medical professional can identify what is definitely happen with you and what you should do...and i do think you should phone one and describe everything you've posted here....and everything you haven't. (that's not an indictment, by the way...just...tell the person everything that's happening with you...don't hold back...and take wahtever recommended action)

sleep deprivation can also bring about what you describe, by the way, and if you've not gotten adequate sleep...if you can sleep...that would be a good interim step in my opinion.

asdfdoc
10-07-12, 12:36 PM
Thanks everyone. This happened at 1AM (when I went to sleep), talked to my gf till 1AM and slept, woke up at 3AM because I had to go pee, experience this psychosis unable to go to bathroom for like 30 minutes, then eventually slept at 4:30am woke up again to pee at 7am back to sleep then woke up finally at 9am.

Near 4:30AM, I had surge of energy that tingled my feet but I was still tired as hell. Every 2 hour sleep came with super vivid dreams. I definitely think wellbutrin's anti-depressive effect, serotonin enhancement, is taking place already.

Maybe I should post this on wellbutrin forum, but I had increased salivary flow, increased apatite and have been waking up in the middle of the night every night since day 1 to go pee at least once.

I've experienced something like this before. When I was taking St. John's wort just to test something out, on day 7, I felt something like this right before sleeping but actually in more severe way. I was frozen in my bed for like 1 hour. I talked to 2 psychiatrists about this experience, and they thought I was overdosed from St. John's wort. I was taking the normal dose as directed. The pdoc I see ruled out bipolar as well...

I don't necessarily think I am gonna do something impulsive on wellbutrin. I am not a danger to others. I call my supporting friends when something like this happens to calm me down. Thank god, this time my gf was in the same house. I also remind myself that this is side effect from drug and try to calm myself down.

Thanks again for all your advices. I waited till 9am to phone my pdoc. I really don't wanna take wellbutrin today. My pharmacist friend told me there is no harm of discontinuing wellbutrin abruptly since I was only on it for 5 days at such a low dose.

SweetCode
10-07-12, 12:40 PM
Great , apparently wellbutrin is not the med for you, hope you have a nice chat with your doctor and get some meds that work nicely :)